Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Upcoming Irish property tax to cost 'on average' €1000 per house.(can you afford it?)

Options

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,216 ✭✭✭gerryo777

Ghandee wrote: »
    Non car users donot have a car, therefore are not creating wear and tear on the roads?

La tenant, can however use parks, green area, street lighting, etc etc etc.

Missing your point Alastair...

Jesus, he's not still using that stupid motor tax argument is he?

• Registered Users Posts: 51,933 ✭✭✭✭tayto lover

gerryo777 wrote: »
    Jesus, he's not still using that stupid motor tax argument is he?

Yes indeed he is still grasping at that straw.

dvpower wrote: »
    Your housing was subsidised by the state!! Like local authority tenants housing is subsidised by the state.

That's a turn up for the books. :)

All I can say to that is everybody, LOL.:D

Madness is setting in, pure madness dv.

donalg1 wrote: »
    No what he is trying to say is when you push the anti side on a point looking for an answer or when you talk sense to them and they have no comeback they ignore your post and reply with some attempt at a funny remark.

They then stick a few of these on :D:D to let people know they are messing and having a laugh. :D:D

Have you any answers on how to reduce the deficit donal?
    Apart from a property tax that is?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,274 ✭✭✭darkhorse

alastair wrote: »
    Neither Reilly or you pay road tax. I think you'll find Reilly does pay his motor tax all the same. So, just to clarify - you are making use of the public roads to access your property, and you're not 'paying rent' on your car (just as you wouldn't be on your house under a property tax)?

alastair, do you not know that motor tax and road tax are the same thing. Its just called motor tax for convenience. I will stand corrected if I am wrong.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 19,309 ✭✭✭✭alastair

eth0 wrote: »
    Motor tax is not a car ownership tax
    Well - it is in effect, but no matter.
    but to use a car on roads that don't belong to the car owner.
    That's where cars tend to be used alright.
    You only use your house on your own land so shouldn't have to pay the government to be allowed to do that.
    Your house makes demands on local infrastructure - roads, water and sewage works, carbon emissions, lighting, paths etc etc. More importantly, those local services contribute to the value of your property as an asset - so it's in your financial interest to ensure local services are retained as a property owner.

The rent for some people is very little. Not sure if its still the case but there used to be people paying 2 pound a month rent and paid for with dole money so the actual amount doesn't matter.
    And the rent for most is comparible with private sector rents, or, at a minimum, greater than any likely property tax contribution.
    If its only ever going to be partial there is no point, might as well lump the cost onto the existing tax as has been done, no need to chance anything. unless you're trying to free up central government money for things that are less noble than your famous local services
    Bumping up income taxation inhibits job creation and shrinks the tax base. Property taxation is far harder to avoid, and is less prone to offshore avoidance. It makes much more sense than an income tax increase.

darkhorse wrote: »
    alastair, do you not know that motor tax and road tax are the same thing. Its just called motor tax for convenience. I will stand corrected if I am wrong.

It's called motor tax, because it's not a road tax. Hence the name.

Private or public i'm like him and not paying for what i don't get.

What you do get.

http://www.louthcoco.ie/en/Services/

All I can say to that is everybody, LOL.:D

Madness is setting in, pure madness dv.

Mortgage relief isn't a tax break? How do you figure that then?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 9,183 ✭✭✭dvpower

Mortgage relief isn't a tax break? How do you figure that then?
    Something to do with madness.

• Advertisement

Something to do with madness.

Well I'm convinced then!

Thinking of putting wheels on my house now. And maybe a Honda 50 engine.

It's called motor tax, because it's not a road tax. Hence the name.

button_search.gif

logo.jpg
    slogan.jpgheader_button.gifm1.jpgm2.jpgm3.jpgm4.jpgm5.jpgm6.jpg

You are here: > Home > Road Tax

Road Tax
    Currently in Ireland there are 2 systems under which road tax is calculated for passenger cars and this is always a source of confusion, hopefully the following with explain the system to you.
    All cars older than 2008 have their road tax calculated based on the cars engine cc's. All cars that are 2008 or newer have their road tax calculated based on the cars CO2 emissions. The above is true in 99% of cases.
    The CO2 based system came into force in July 2008 meaning new cars registered between 1 January 2008 and 30 June 2008 initially had their motor tax charged on the basis of the existing engine size (c.c.) system. However, a low CO2 emitting new car registered between 1 January 2008 and 30 June 2008 had its motor tax switched to the lower CO2 based motor tax rate on first renewal of motor tax post 1 July 2008, when the new CO2 based system commenced. New cars which were registered in the first 6 months of 2008 whose tax would be more under the new CO2 based system continue to pay motortax on the basis of engine size. "

Road Tax Calculator

What year is your car?
    2008 or newer
    Older than 2008
    Please enter the car's engine cc's:Rate Per Year :

6 Months :

3 Months :

Please enter the car's co2 emissions:Rate Per Year :

6 Months :

3 Months :

© 2008, Very Reasonable Transport. Very Reasonable Transport has no affiliation with the Irish Government or Revenue Commissioners and is simply providing an information service. Terms & Conditions

A

[][/URL]
    © 2008, Very Reasonable Transport. Very Reasonable Transport has no affiliation with the Irish Government or Revenue Commissioners and is simply providing an information service. Terms & Conditions

That would be a misinformation service. Try here: https://www.motortax.ie

That would be a misinformation service. Try here: https://www.motortax.ie

Well, I'm going along with it unless and until the law says it is a misinformation service, not you.

Well, I'm going along with it unless and until the law says it is a misinformation service, not you.

I pointed you towards the actual motor tax website. Any mention of 'road tax' there?

Your housing was subsidised by the state!! Like local authority tenants housing is subsidised by the state.

That's a turn up for the books. :)

So, if tayto lovers house was 'subsidised by the state' as you've stated, like 'LA tenants were/are subsidised by the state' why then are only homeowners being taxed now that we need money and the LA tenants are getting off scott free?

That, my little tax loving friend, is discrimination.

Your reply please, followed by comical ali's motor tax argument....

Only one word for him.

Pedantic.

Just agree that it's called motor tax and it'll go away.

• Moderators, Politics Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 24,269 Mod ✭✭✭✭Chips Lovell

Whether its call motor tax or road tax is actually irrelevant. Its name doesn't alter the point that its one of several precedents for assets being taxed.

Whether its call motor tax or road tax is actually irrelevant. Its name doesn't alter the point that its one of several precedents for assets being taxed.

Maybe for tenants then, if they don't actually own the asset, they will bring in a tax at the same rate as the property tax, like a benefit in kind tax.

If you have a company car and the company pays the motor tax etc, you pay benefit in kind tax for being provided with that vehicle.

• Advertisement
  • Moderators, Politics Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 24,269 Mod ✭✭✭✭Chips Lovell

That kind of makes a property tax redundant then. The point of a property tax is that property owners pay proportionally more.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 6,653 ✭✭✭Ghandee

You forgot your primary 'principled opposition' to the property tax - You 'don't want to pay'.

Meanwhile...
    http://www.irishtimes.com/newspaper/world/2012/0522/1224316503183.html

I bet its not the people on low or minimum wage that is tasked with compiling these statistics.

No, but....
    Though formed as a Protestant Nationalist paper, within two decades and under new owners it had become the voice of Irish Unionism.[4] Today it is no longer considered a Unionist paper; it is generally perceived as being politically liberal and progressive, as well as being right-wing on economic issues

Former columnists.....
    The paper's most prominent columnists include writer and arts commentator Fintan O'Toole and the satirist Miriam Lord. Former Taoiseach, Garret FitzGerald was also a columnist. Senior international figures, including Tony Blair, Bill Clinton and others have written for its op-ed page. Its most prominent columns have included Drapier (an anonymous column produced weekly by a politician, giving the 'insider' view of politics); Rite and Reason, a weekly religious column, edited by Patsy McGarry, Religious Affairs Editor; and the long-running "An Irishman's Diary", previously penned by Patrick Campbell in the forties (under the pseudonym 'Quidnunc'), Seamus Kelly from 1949-1979 (also writing as 'Quidnunc'), and more recently by Kevin Myers

The newspaper might have an agenda though.....

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/The_Irish_Times

That kind of makes a property tax redundant then. The point of a property tax is that property owners pay proportionally more.

How is it redundant?

They'll get a property tax from home owners and they'll get a BIK tax from renters.

A bit fairer and a bit more equitable all round I would have thought.

Do one side on here not believe in having a fair and equitable tax system?

How is it redundant?

They'll get a property tax from home owners and they'll get a BIK tax from renters.

I think its a "don't bhust the party Albert" kind of thing. They are all like Gerry Collins.

How is it redundant?

I mean that it makes it redundant because it's no longer a property tax and instead is a broad levy.

We have always had a progressive taxation system, whereby those who earn more and own more, pay proportionally more. You may not consider that fair and equitable, but I certainly do, so possibly there our opinions differ.

I believe the property tax ought to be no different. Those who stand to gain most from local services (i.e. their impact on their asset value) should pay proportionally more.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,926 ✭✭✭trellheim

Taxes, from wherever they come, go into one big pile. It's article 11 of the Constitution.

All revenues of the State from whatever source arising shall, subject to such exception as may be provided by law, form one fund, and shall be appropriated for the purposes and in the manner and subject to the charges and liabilities determined and imposed by law

I mean that it makes it redundant because it's no longer a property tax and instead is a broad levy.

We have always had a progressive taxation system, whereby those who earn more and own more, pay proportionally more. You may not consider that fair and equitable, but I certainly do, so possibly there our opinions differ.

I believe the property tax ought to be no different. Those who stand to gain most from local services (i.e. their impact on their asset value) should pay proportionally more.

We'll have to differ there so.

Maybe if people who rent and those in LA housing had to pay for their local services they might be inclined to have a bit more pride in their community and look after their locality a bit better.

Leave them out of the loop, it'll increase their sense of entitlement even more.

As long as this remains the situation I won't be paying a registration tax or any property tax I'm afraid.

Enough is enough.

BTW, I wonder what impact the new, stinking sewage treatment plant they've built 500 meters from my home and are going to extend will have on my property.

N.B. I have my own fully paid for and fully serviced Biocycle unit installed. Yep, that's right, I'm not depending on others to take care of my mess.

trellheim wrote: »
    Taxes, from wherever they come, go into one big pile. It's article 11 of the Constitution.

Everyone knows that taxes go to one central fund to be divvied out as they see fit.
    Pro-taxers just muddy the waters by trying to spin it any other way.

trellheim wrote: »
    All revenues of the State from whatever source arising shall, subject to such exception as may be provided by law, form one fund, and shall be
    appropriated for the purposes and in the manner and subject to the charges and liabilities determined and imposed by law

Did you read that before you posted it?

• Advertisement

My house is obviously accessible but i pay my road tax unlike Reilly who gets his self supplied tax breaks.

What are you on about here Tayto?
    Does James Reilly really have a self supplied motor tax break? Or is this a lie?

This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement