Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Upcoming Irish property tax to cost 'on average' €1000 per house.(can you afford it?)

Options

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 9,183 ✭✭✭dvpower

darkhorse wrote: »
    I think some of you should try to hold a mature discussion and don't be always nitpicking. Of course you know, and I know, that James Reilly got tax breaks on the nursing home.
    Reilly availed of lucrative tax breaks on nursing homes.

Of course nobody is disputing that he got tax breaks, but to say he got them in any way dishonestly is a lie, and it isn't nitpicking or immature to point out the liars.

• Registered Users Posts: 19,309 ✭✭✭✭alastair

If you were doing accountancy and you discovered that you made a mistake in the first line of, for example, a price list, do ya keep going and carry on the mistake or do ya go back to the start and put it right, bearing in mind that the total is going to be wrong otherwise. By the way, you forgot to mention Labour's way or Frankfurt's way. These men knew exactly what they were saying during the election, which was anything to maximize votes. They also had choices. Oh, btw, we have heard all the arguements as to why they did'nt follow up on their promises, so don't even go there.

Maybe you don't quite understand the situation we're in? We had committed to pay bondholders as part of a loan that we required to keep the country running. Those outgoings were an obligation that (mistake or not) had to be 'carried out' if we were to get the money needed to keep going.

bgrizzley wrote: »
    So you admit this is a groundrent on my home? we are finally on the same page Al:D

Hilarious.

Just as a matter of interest, do please explain to me, how can something be an asset if you have to sell it at a loss because the bank want you out in order to sell it to try and get their money back. I think a lot of us common folk would know someone in such a position.

Why are the banks who repossess to sell doing so? Because they can liquidate an asset. That's an actual money generating asset that exists. Whether someone paid over the odds for it initially, and now can't continue to pay for it is another issue. It's worth pointing out that same could be said for any other asset that someone takes out a loan on on and can't follow through.

And the scale of repossessions is pretty low tbh - out of a total number of mortgages in the state - 750,000 odd - there have been about 1500 repossessions since the bubble burst - many of those speculative buy-to-let mortgages.

• Registered Users Posts: 579 ✭✭✭Dub XV

Did anybody else find it shilly around here last night?

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 51,933 ✭✭✭✭tayto lover

Vladimir Kurtains

Adverts | Friends
    Mod: Cycling
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by tayto lover
    No but I believe he would have been steered towards applying for the tax break and as a politician would have had the assistance of Civil Servants in obtaining it. Not illegally now but who was ever going to object to him getting one. I am of the opinion that his position favoured him in that.
    There's no such thing as applying for tax reliefs or some civil servant rubber stamping them. If you're eligible, you claim them, end of story.

So how can he be eligible for tax breaks on a property he bought for investment purposes like the nursing home land in Tipperary? Not even a brick put on it and nothing paid back to the people he borrowed from and he ends up in Stubbs Gazette. Does he still get to benefit from the tax break then?

http://www.independent.ie/national-news/reilly-left-redfaced-as-hes-named-on-debtdefault-list-3165020.html

No but I believe he would have been steered towards applying for the tax break and as a politician would have had the assistance of Civil Servants in obtaining it. Not illegally now but who was ever going to object to him getting one. I am of the opinion that his position favoured him in that.

Do you have any evidence for any of these 'beliefs' or is it all just prejudice?
    So how can he be eligible for tax breaks on a property he bought for investment purposes like the nursing home land in Tipperary?
    Based on exactly the same rules that are open to anyone. Do you have any evidence whatsoever to suggest otherwise.

dvpower wrote: »
    Do you have any evidence for any of these 'beliefs' or is it all just prejudice?

Based on exactly the same rules that are open to anyone. Do you have any evidence whatsoever to suggest otherwise.

Just history and the fact that the party of the rich always looked after themselves.

So how can he be eligible for tax breaks on a property he bought for investment purposes like the nursing home land in Tipperary? Not even a brick put on it and nothing paid back to the people he borrowed from and he ends up in Stubbs Gazette. Does he still get to benefit from the tax break then?

Not a brick? It's been operating for years.

http://www.independent.ie/national-news/pact-typical-of-taxdriven-investments-to-save-cash-3165019.html

http://www.hiqa.ie/social-care/find-a-centre/nursing-homes/greenhill-nursing-home

According to the News some weeks ago their plan was to demolish the existing structure and build something much bigger.

• Advertisement

Just history and the fact that the party of the rich always looked after themselves.

While they're out of office? How does that work then?

According to the News some weeks ago their plan was to demolish the existing structure and build something much bigger.

Maybe you should check these things before posting?

http://vi-concepts.com/clancy/?p=232

Just blind prejudice so?
    No evidence.

alastair wrote: »
    While they're out of office? How does that work then?

Did you read that link you supplied about refusing to to keep their signed deal?

Did you read that link you supplied about refusing to to keep their signed deal?

Yeah - that's why he's before the courts and in Stubbs Gazette.

Just to confirm: You do know he wasn't a TD at the time, that his party wasn't in power at the time, and that the tax breaks were avaialble to anyone prepared to stump up the money for developing nursing homes, regardless of their political links?

So: how is it a "fact that the party of the rich always looked after themselves"?

So: how is it a "fact that the party of the rich always looked after themselves"?

And how come the 'party of the rich' who 'always looked after themselves' didn't manage to keep him out of the courts or out of Stubbs?

Yeah - that's why he's before the courts and in Stubbs Gazette.

Just to confirm: You do know he wasn't a TD at the time, that his party wasn't in power at the time, and that the tax breaks were avaialble to anyone prepared to stump up the money for developing nursing homes, regardless of their political links?

Fine Gael always looked after the rich farming communities.
    Fianna Fail always looked after the Bankers.

Noty much difference in the two parties really.

I like this because it's very true -
    http://legaleaglestar.wordpress.com/2012/05/29/

Fine Gael always looked after the rich farming communities.
    Fianna Fail always looked after the Bankers.

So - every reason to make unfounded claims left right and centre. If it works for you; grand, but maybe you might internalise these fantasies, rather than post them in public?

• Registered Users Posts: 579 ✭✭✭Dub XV

Not to make a point on the debate, just some latest comment:

http://www.breakingnews.ie/ireland/keaveney-government-should-wait-on-property-tax-562202.html

The Labour Party chairman says the government should wait and make sure it gets the property tax right, rather than make any mistakes, if it becomes a complicated process.

Colm Keaveney was responding to proposals from one tax expert, that the introduction of the new tax should be put off for a year.

At the moment, it's due to be rolled out next year, to replace the current flat-rate household charge.

Galway East Deputy Colm Keaveney outlined the kind of system he'd like to see introduced: "It would pick up the size of the house, the location of the home and the level of amentities.

"It would develop a matrix, a sliding scale of a fair system based on an ability to pay. If it's complicated to construct this system, then I would much prefer if we wait and get it right than make any mistakes at the outset."

Dub XV wrote: »
    Colm Keaveney was responding to proposals from one tax expert, that the introduction of the new tax should be put off for a year.

Did Deputy Keaveney say what he would use for Local Authority funding next year in its place? The HHC again?

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 3,235 ✭✭✭lugha

gerryo777 wrote: »
    They may own nothing but that's because they have paid very little to keep the roof over their head.

They certainly benefit from the local services though.
    Yes they do. And substantially the same people benefit from medical cards and other such payments in a welfare state. So why the sudden concern about “inequity” in relation to one specific benefit that the less well off receive?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,513 ✭✭✭donalg1

lugha wrote: »
    Yes they do. And substantially the same people benefit from medical cards and other such payments in a welfare state. So why the sudden concern about “inequity” in relation to one specific benefit that the less well off receive?

Because they have to directly pay it this time, and because they can avoid paying it without fear of any real reprecussions.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 6,653 ✭✭✭Ghandee

More bad news, yet another rise due to a Levy.......
    Electricity bills are to rise from October after the Commission for Energy Regulation approved an increase in the public service obligation levy. Although the increase on the levy only constitutes a small proportion of the overall electricity bill for households and businesses, it represents further bad news for consumers who face rising energy costs.

The annual levy for all domestic customers will increase by almost €8.50 to €27.82 — an increase of 42% on last year’s levy.

Kick the home owners while they're down.

http://www.irishexaminer.com/ireland/electricity-bills-to-rise-due-to-hike-in-levy-203361.html

Ghandee wrote: »

Luckily tenants don't use electricity. Phew!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,513 ✭✭✭donalg1

More bad news, yet another rise due to a Levy.......

http://www.irishexaminer.com/ireland/electricity-bills-to-rise-due-to-hike-in-levy-203361.html

But sure its only a levy, some round here would have you believe levies dont equate to cuts in income.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,274 ✭✭✭darkhorse

So - every reason to make unfounded claims left right and centre. If it works for you; grand, but maybe you might internalise these fantasies, rather than post them in public?

As I said on an earlier post, in your minds, nobody is going to be right only you and a couple of others. It works for me, because everything the article says is true.
    And I think we are all in agreement when I say, some of your posts don't warrant an answer of any kind.:mad::mad:

• Closed Accounts Posts: 6,653 ✭✭✭Ghandee

Luckily tenants don't use electricity. Phew!

Thread to thread, troll to troll.

Tenants won't have a property tax, and increased energy costs.

Is that better?

Thread to thread, troll to troll.

Tenants won't have a property tax, and increased energy costs.

Is that better?

Yes - it's an equal kick for anyone using electricity.

Is this thread to become a dumping ground for every little whinge at the present Government and every single price rise?

If Tesco increase the price of a litre of milk, will we be getting someone whinging about it here?

• Advertisement

As I said on an earlier post, in your minds, nobody is going to be right only you and a couple of others. It works for me, because everything the article says is true.
    And I think we are all in agreement when I say, some of your posts don't warrant an answer of any kind.:mad::mad:

When you're wrong, you're wrong:
    My house is obviously accessible but i pay my road tax unlike Reilly.
    Bzzzt!
    who gets his self supplied tax breaks. .
    Bzzzt!
    Nice to be in power you get to know people who can do the little favours for you, like the tax break.
    Bzzzt!
    as a politician would have had the assistance of Civil Servants in obtaining it
    Bzzzt! (wasn't a politician)
    I am of the opinion that his position favoured him in that
    (his position as a doctor?!) Bzzzt!

This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement