Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Upcoming Irish property tax to cost 'on average' €1000 per house.(can you afford it?)

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 19,309 ✭✭✭✭alastair

tunedout wrote: »
    HA HA. So alastair conveniently decides which taxes are just and which taxes are not.
    Anyone can measure the degree that taxation is just and form a conclusion. The unjust nature of the poll tax was rather more clear-cut than anything that's been suggested about property taxation. You think we should just abandon our critical facilities?
    And the people who don't pay the taxes he deems to be just hold unremarkable positions.
    Ehh no. I said my position was unremarkable. Do try and focus.

People, when you're deciding to pay you're taxes or not make sure to come here and check whether alastair deems it to be just. You might just be able to avoid the tax without falling into the unremarkable person category :pac:
    See above. Repetition doesn't make your point any less misguided.

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 448 ✭✭tunedout

alastair wrote: »
    Anyone can measure the degree that taxation is just and form a conclusion. The unjust nature of the poll tax was rather more clear-cut than anything that's been suggested about property taxation. You think we should just abandon our critical facilities?

Ehh no. I said my position was unremarkable. Do try and focus.

See above. Repetition doesn't make your point any less misguided.
    Dear alastair,

I am very tempted not to pay my car tax. I rarely use the road maybe 2 miles a week over to the shop. My neighbour drives all day everyday and his car tax is only coming to the same amount. I pay tax via the small amount of fuel I use anyway.

Can you please advise me if it would be just to not pay the tax? :(

Thanks in advance for your consideration.

Dear alastair,

I am very tempted not to pay my car tax. I rarely use the road maybe 2 miles a week over to the shop. My neighbour drives all day everyday and his car tax is only coming to the same amount. I pay tax via the small amount of fuel I use anyway.

Can you please advise me if it would be just to not pay the tax? :(

Thanks in advance for your consideration.

Like I say - it's usually best to employ your own critical faculties.

• Registered Users Posts: 51,927 ✭✭✭✭tayto lover

Like I say - it's usually best to employ your own critical faculties.

I don't have the know how. :( I am not well enough informed on the detailed finances of the state to make a binary decision on whether a tax is just or not. I don't know the breakdown of the expenditure of the tax paid.
    Anyone can measure the degree that taxation is just and form a conclusion.
    You seem to find it pretty easy, you can, and have, declared a tax unjust and not paid it. But, even more impressively, you are able to help others see their wrong when, they too, declare a tax unjust. For me, this requires a politically acute mind and a moral bravery, neither of which I can claim I have :(

So I wonder can you help with my predicament above?

• Advertisement

Increments aren't currently embargoed - and the article points out that the pay cap is still in effect. They did break their own rules with the eight advisors that got salaries above the cap, but there's nothing new here.

I don't have the know how. :( I am not well enough informed on the detailed finances of the state to make a binary decision on whether a tax is just or not. I don't know the breakdown of the expenditure of the tax paid.

You seem to find it pretty easy, you can, and have, declared a tax unjust and not paid it. But, even more impressively, you are able to help others see their wrong when, they too, declare a tax unjust. For me, this requires a politically acute mind and a moral bravery, neither of which I can claim I have :(

So I wonder can you help with my predicament above?

If you can't work it out for yourself - sure. Motor tax isn't mileage dependent - so no, you've no case on the basis of someone else driving further. You've the potential to drive as much as you like.

If you can't work it out for yourself - sure. Motor tax isn't mileage dependent - so no, you've no case on the basis of someone else driving further. You've the potential to drive as much as you like.

Thanks alastair, best pay it to avoid falling into the trap of becoming unremarkable

• Registered Users Posts: 44,080 ✭✭✭✭Micky Dolenz

Mod

Plenty of on thread warnings about flaming and baiting.

Calling someone a troll is doing exactly that.

Thanks alastair, best pay it to avoid falling into the trap of becoming unremarkable

Again - I said my position was unremarkable. But feel free to take that where you will.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 8 Big Bad Phil

Ghandee wrote: »
    1. You evaded tax yourself, worse than that you proclaimed it here, whilst adopting a holier than though persona.

2. We've been through the.'Republic of Ireland' thing, i hope you now realise, and accept that the official name of this country is Ireland (admittedly i had to show you the constitution before you'd listen.)

3. I made reference to the right to self determination in the very first post i made in the thread we're referring to here. (including recognizing that i had no problem if sometime wanted to say they were British)

If you're going to be a troll, try to be a good one Al.

Thank you, good night, much love.

You might be think you are able to evade your taxes and not pay your way but with revenue in charge now the money you owe will be either deducted from your paycheque or deducted from your bank account if you are self employed happy days tax dodgers.

You might be think you are able to evade your taxes and not pay your way but with revenue in charge now the money you owe will be either deducted from your paycheque or deducted from your bank account if you are self employed happy days tax dodgers.
    BIG BAD PHIL!!!

But you're wrong about that also, it won't be deducted from your paycheque and it certainly won't be deducted from your bank account you tree hugger.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,554 ✭✭✭steve9859

Wouldn't it be more accurate to say it is applicable to property owners? 'Home' is an emotive term. Renters have 'homes' too, even if they are treated with contempt by the property-owning public.

How are renters treated in contempt? They get off scot-free in this whole thing?!?!?

steve9859 wrote: »
    How are renters treated in contempt? They get off scot-free in this whole thing?!?!?
    What a load of nonsense.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,554 ✭✭✭steve9859

What a load of nonsense.

How so?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,216 ✭✭✭gerryo777

donalg1 wrote: »
    Any ideas about what Gerry, and who is still waiting, I would think it is just you waiting for something only you know about.

I've asked you about 3 or 4 times now to come up with some ideas other than the property tax on how to bridge the deficit.

Still haven't heard any, is this the only one you can think of to cheerlead?

I told you tayto, this shower are nothing but FF lite.
    No different than the last lot, we won't be fooled again.

HA HA. So alastair conveniently decides which taxes are just and which taxes are not. And the people who don't pay the taxes he deems to be just hold unremarkable positions.

People, when you're deciding to pay you're taxes or not make sure to come here and check whether alastair deems it to be just. You might just be able to avoid the tax without falling into the unremarkable person category :pac:

You'll get used to comical ali, his double standards are legendary!

gerryo777 wrote: »
    You'll get used to comical ali, his double standards are legendary!

Ah now - no need to be bitter about things. The late penalties are modest enough. You'll be grand.

Deducted from self employed persons bank accounts? LMAO.

They can't even find where people live or who own's the house, joint names, maiden names etc etc.

Who's bank account are they going to deduct it from?
    More to the point, which bank account, current a/c, savings a/c, mortgage a/c etc etc.

BTW, calling people self employed happy days tax dodgers is insulting and trollish and will be reported as such.

3 posts and that's the standard your at?

• Advertisement

gerryo777 wrote: »
    Deducted from self employed persons bank accounts? LMAO.

They can't even find where people live or who own's the house, joint names, maiden names etc etc.

Who's bank account are they going to deduct it from?
    More to the point, which bank account, current a/c, savings a/c, mortgage a/c etc etc.

BTW, calling people self employed happy days tax dodgers is insulting and trollish and will be reported as such.

3 posts and that's the standard your at?

The database is coming along just fine, what with the various utilities and property deed databases on board - and, if it's the same deal as the HHC, they only need one name for the property - joint owners need to work it out between themselves who pays what - but the tax is only levied against one individual.

As to the specific mechanism for getting the taxes out of your cold dead hands? Well - every other state manages to enforce property taxation, and we've always managed to enforce every other kind of tax here. I'm sure they'll not have any bother in that respect.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 5,731 ✭✭✭Bullseye1

What is this nonsense about self employed being tax dodgers? That is outrageous statement. We don't have a safety net when work dries up. We pay our taxes and collect VAT.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 9,183 ✭✭✭dvpower

Bullseye1 wrote: »
    What is this nonsense about self employed being tax dodgers? That is outrageous statement. We don't have a safety net when work dries up. We pay our taxes and collect VAT.
    Self employed people who dodge their property tax would be tax dodgers, no?
    Nothing at all outrageous about that.

Just for clarity - are you a self employed tax dodger? Paid your HHC if liable?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 16,391 ✭✭✭✭mikom

The database is coming along just fine, what with the various utilities and property deed databases on board

Going well alright......... http://www.askaboutmoney.com/showthread.php?t=170785

mikom wrote: »

At least it's additional confirmation that the 'supposed' reminder letters are indeed going out - regardless of what anyone's circle of friends tell them or not.

• Registered Users Posts: 21,021 ✭✭✭✭dxhound2005

The country is full of rich tax defaulters. Take a look at the pages and pages published every quarter for years. (Part 2 for the big ones). Then tell me that none of them are self employed. You will see that in many cases the interest and fines exceed the original tax.

http://www.revenue.ie/en/press/defaulters/archive/index.html#section6

Lots of these characters no doubt received poor advice over the years leading them to try to hide their money. Anyone joining them by following the advice from CAHWT will have to pay more in the long run.

At least it's additional confirmation that the 'supposed' reminder letters are indeed going out - regardless of what anyone's circle of friends tell them or not.

To the wrong houses, yep.

Your tax money at work.
    The clusterfuck continues........
    got one of these myself , knew it would happen, i have all the receipts for the property sitting next to me. why do i get a bill because the registration only allows one name and the house is in two.

any simpleton knows this would cause chaos i am so tempted to let them take me to court but cant afford the time off work to go and hand in a load of receipts to the judge

guess what the household charge will be worse

i am writing to my public representatives first by the way

mikom wrote: »
    To the wrong houses, yep.

Hmm - to a jointly-owned house in both instances there. Understandable enough that two names on databases would pose some problems - the initial poster in that thread was liable and letter was sent to correct house/name.

• Advertisement

Understandable enough that two names on databases would pose some problems -

Not to our "leaders".

This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement