Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Upcoming Irish property tax to cost 'on average' €1000 per house.(can you afford it?)

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 19,309 ✭✭✭✭alastair

mikom wrote: »
    Not to our "leaders".

Just to be clear - we can't possibly introduce a property tax because of the initial logistical issues with joint-ownership properties? Okaaay.

• Registered Users Posts: 51,927 ✭✭✭✭tayto lover

The lads seem to be on overtime again tonight.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 16,391 ✭✭✭✭mikom

alastair wrote: »
    Just to be clear - we can't possibly introduce a property tax because of the initial logistical issues with joint-ownership properties? Okaaay.

What's this "we" business.
    I'm not taking the shilling.

• Registered Users Posts: 19,309 ✭✭✭✭alastair

What's this "we" business.
    I'm not taking the shilling.

we = the Irish people, as represented by our government.

• Registered Users Posts: 51,927 ✭✭✭✭tayto lover

we = the Irish people, as represented by our government.

Good job you didn't write "we" twice, then "we'd" know you were taking the pee. Just like the Govt.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 2,216 ✭✭✭gerryo777

The lads seem to be on overtime again tonight.

Do you know the expression 'same sh1te, different day'?
    That's the two lads for you.

No ideas about anything else, they just sit around smugly calling people 'tax defaulters'.
    Nothing constructive to add,nothing to offer.

And what's worse is that one of them was a tax defaulter in another country:rolleyes:

You gotta laugh!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 5,731 ✭✭✭Bullseye1

Just for clarity - are you a self employed tax dodger? Paid your HHC if liable?

As a self proclaim tax dodger your the last person who should be questioning anyone on who has paid their taxes.

dvpower wrote: »
    Self employed people who dodge their property tax would be tax dodgers, no?
    Nothing at all outrageous about that.

Soncan PAYE workers who dont pay. What has that got to do with the OP? Do you believe all self employed people are tax dodgers?

Bullseye1 wrote: »
    Soncan PAYE workers who dont pay. What has that got to do with the OP? Do you believe all self employed people are tax dodgers?

They believe anyone who doesn't pay this tax because they feel it's unjust is a tax defaulter.
    They throw this term around to incite people.
    They are devoid of any other thought processes.

Not much we can do about that I'm afraid, hit the ignore button.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 451 ✭✭bhamsteve

This will be the equivalent of finding almost 2 more months mortgage payments each year for me and is not an option. Unless my circumstances change drastically in the mean time I will just move out and give the keys to the bank. I will not live on bread and water to support the croke park agreement.

• Advertisement

gerryo777 wrote: »
    They believe anyone who doesn't pay this tax because they feel it's unjust is a tax defaulter.
    They throw this term around to incite people.
    They are devoid of any other thought processes.

Not much we can do about that I'm afraid, hit the ignore button.

I don't mind debating this tax with people but there are two or three trolls who have been posting on these threads. Life is too short so onto the ignore they go. I would advise the rest of you people follow suit.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,641 ✭✭✭bgrizzley

i hope i'm not representative of the general public, but im kind of enjoying being a criminal. i hope when they rescind the legislation that they will keep me on the books for the E114, i kinda like being an outlaw.
    roll on the road/motor tax renewal(in for a sheep as a lamb)...

• Closed Accounts Posts: 12,455 ✭✭✭✭Monty Burnz

bhamsteve wrote: »
    This will be the equivalent of finding almost 2 more months mortgage payments each year for me and is not an option. Unless my circumstances change drastically in the mean time I will just move out and give the keys to the bank. I will not live on bread and water to support the croke park agreement.

If your property is as cheap as your mortgage payments suggest, you'll probably be at the lower end of the property tax schedule. Rejoice.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,641 ✭✭✭bgrizzley

If your property is as cheap as your mortgage payments suggest, you'll probably be at the lower end of the property tax schedule. Rejoice.

of course, he may not be refering to the E100 registration charge, but to the E1000 average recomended to the governement:eek:

Ignore button great feature. Don't feed the trolls.

Bullseye1 wrote: »
    Ignore button great feature. Don't feed the trolls.

Sometimes someone else will quote them and there words are there to be seen, you just have to try and ignore that too. DFTT and they go away.

There are some on here who are in favour of the charge but you can debate and converse with, eg vladimir kurtains.
    I may disagree with him but I respect his position.
    No BS there.

Mortgage of 136, on house bought for 160, now worth bout 100-120. I`m just a bit worried on how they will value the house, as it is a 170 sqM detatched. 1000 euro plus the water rates would be a killer
    I just wish the government had the balls to cut the public sector wages to a level in keeping with a bankrupt state, rather than the pay lavished at a time when stamp duty and a property bubble had us all believing we were living in one of the richest countries in the world, and raise income tax.

I just wish the government had the balls to cut the public sector wages to a level in keeping with a bankrupt state, rather than the pay lavished at a time when stamp duty and a property bubble had us all believing we were living in one of the richest countries in the world, and raise income tax.

Problem is there's one party who won't allow the CPA to be touched or welfare to be cut (labour) and another who won't tax the rich too much and won't raise income tax at all (FG).
    Their really not compatible at all for the times that are in it.

DON'T REGISTER / DON'T PAY.

Fcuk 'em!

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 448 ✭✭tunedout

Not to our "leaders".

Hey ali boy. Youre a good man to pay a bit of tax

Problem is there's one party who won't allow the CPA to be touched or welfare to be cut (labour) and another who won't tax the rich too much and won't raise income tax at all (FG).

Fcuk 'em!

I'm not too familiar with the Irish politics, even after living here for 6 years but I'm starting to see a pattern of incompetence, vested interest, TDs more concerned with prolonging their own privileged lifestyle than finding a way out of the mess.
    Fcuk 'em is right, what is the worst they can do?

• Advertisement

As to the specific mechanism for getting the taxes out of your cold dead hands? Well - every other state manages to enforce property taxation, and we've always managed to enforce every other kind of tax here. I'm sure they'll not have any bother in that respect.

no we fairly bad at enforcing every other tax ali boy!! I havent paid
    My car tax in 4 months, the benefits of not paying outweigh the penalty for the moment. I dont pay vat on many products i should. Also my little bro earns 15k a year all of which is mine loool. Come, come, come ali boy, what does go on in thy mind.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 244 ✭✭K3lso

Fcuk 'em!

Well, from your post I don't particularly see which philosophy you align yourself with or would lean towards - perhaps you've mentioned it earlier. In any event, I wouldn't settle for one or the other - I'm principled when it comes to things but getting back to the point you made about party incompatibility. I have to disagree.

I think Labour are turning more right wing by the day. They've been basically a set of mudflaps for FG fascist policies for the past year despite Gilmores ranting and raving. In fact, given just about all the circus that have taken place over the last several months, you can only imagine Eamon leaping out of his chair in anger if he happened to be on the opposite side of the room.

Irish politics have always been a smash and grab affair. Nobody has any real stomach for change because the status quo suits the particular people Dail Eireann intends to attract - i.e, me feiners. I think the two parties we have in power now are more similar then they'd let on. Both are for more taxes and both are for paying back billionaire bankers, both voted to bail out corporations and both are authoritarian in nature and philosophy.

I detest both.

K3lso wrote: »
    Well, from your post I don't particularly see which philosophy you align yourself with or would lean towards - perhaps you've mentioned it earlier. In any event, I wouldn't settle for one or the other - I'm principled when it comes to things but getting back to the point you made about party incompatibility. I have to disagree.

I think Labour are turning more right wing by the day. They've been basically a set of mudflaps for FG fascist policies for the past year despite Gilmores ranting and raving. In fact, given just about all the circus that have taken place over the last several months, you can only imagine Eamon leaping out of his chair in anger if he happened to be on the opposite side of the room.

Irish politics have always been a smash and grab affair. Nobody has any real stomach for change because the status quo suits the particular people Dail Eireann intends to attract - i.e, me feiners. I think the two parties we have in power now are more similar then they'd let on. Both are for more taxes and both are for paying back billionaire bankers, both voted to bail out corporations and both are authoritarian in nature and philosophy.

I detest both.

Regarding the subject matter (property tax) I believe that no one section of the population should be singled out for this type of tax.

Penalising people who bought / are buying their own homes and not costing the state to house them is, in my mind, discrimination.

I would be in favour of a 'council tax' similar to the UK if we have to have a tax to pay for services.

I cannot understand how the government are letting private renters and LA tenants off paying for the services provided.

Do the above not use these services?

Labour will start to lean back to the left after the local elections in 2014 when they get the kicking at the poles that they now deserve.

Expect turbulent times between the government parties on the run in to the next general election.

Ali? You there man?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,274 ✭✭✭darkhorse

I'm not too familiar with the Irish politics, even after living here for 6 years but I'm starting to see a pattern of incompetence, vested interest, TDs more concerned with prolonging their own privileged lifestyle than finding a way out of the mess.
    Fcuk 'em is right, what is the worst they can do?

Politics=The only job in the world where one does not have to account to the people that is paying ones salary, also cannot be sacked by same paying people, until a certain term in office is reached. Just hope it aint too late at that stage.

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 15,858 ✭✭✭✭paddy147

Ghandee wrote: »
    Just read this article online, and tbh its quite disturbing reading.

Daniel McConnell reports that on average, each Irish household will be forced to pay in the region of one thousand euro per house, which let's face it, unless your on seriously good money, to suddenly have one thousand euro suddenly taken from your disposable income will be pretty tough going.

I personally do not agree with this charge/tax for various reasons, main one being (obviously) having already suffered salary reductions, rising cost (don't even mention the USC charge), but also,

We're already indirectly paying for LA services via income tax, vat etc, and it would be suggested that this impending tax will bridge the gap where LA services are not covered by these taxes.

However, that's the reason we currently pay for various services like refuse collection, education fees (plus school lunches and transport) doctors fees health care fees, extortionate motor tax, crippling fuel tax (which has vat added to that) tolls on the roads also.

This incoming tax has been compared to the rates system in the north, or the council tax system in the UK, but this simply is not true. (all the things outlined above are included with rates/council tax at no extra cost)

http://www.independent.ie/national-news/daniel-mcconnell-next-big-hot-potato-is-property-tax-of-up-to-1000-3175429.html

All this, while our leader's are along the highest paid in Europe, and Edna Kenny actually gets more than the leader of the UK (with roughly fifteen times the population) David Cameron (pretty good for the leader of a bankrupt country)

Simple poll has been added, so let's hear your views.

So does 1000 euro include my bins being lifted,my water,and other stuff like a fire brigade callout (if ever needed)?????

I agree, but everybody wants the government to cut the pay or raise the taxes or cut the services of everybody else. And they all think they have common cause.

Irish people deserve the populist governments they've elected and led us to disaster, and now that we have a government that is actually making necessary hard decisions (but not enough of them, I agree) everybody moans.

paddy147 wrote: »
    So does 1000 euro include my bins being lifted,my water,and other stuff like a fire brigade callout (if ever needed)?????

It most certainly does not.

I agree, but everybody wants the government to cut the pay or raise the taxes or cut the services of everybody else. And they all think they have common cause.

Irish people deserve the populist governments they've elected and led us to disaster, and now that we have a government that is actually making necessary hard decisions (but not enough of them, I agree) everybody moans.

What necessary hard decisions?

We have a government that thinks the Seanie's of this world and other bankers are more important than the creation of a level playing field for everyone on this island. There doesn't need to be any hard decision...just logical one's. Thus far, we've seen none. From a moral standpoint as well as an economic one.

They want to take more disposable cash out of the populations pockets and then wonder why the economy is slowing down? Who's giving Kenny economic advice? Mr. Bean?! Any thats just one's illogicality in a myriad of nonsense. The only people getting on seem to be government advisers....didn't FG give all theirs a promotion yesterday? lol...and then ask for a property tax to pay them. If it wasn't so serious, it would be funny..

• Advertisement

I've no problem in principle with taxing 'the rich' (although everybody's definition of 'the rich' seems to be 'anyone richer than me') but the evidence suggests that it's counter-productive in terms of creating jobs and keeping wealth in the country. I don't see the point in sacrificing pragmatism for ideology.

This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement