Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Upcoming Irish property tax to cost 'on average' €1000 per house.(can you afford it?)

Options

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 747 ✭✭✭kr7

alastair wrote: »
    The fact that all public service workers have taken a salary cut? I think you'll find you're the one with difficulties in that regard. :p

Show me their 'salary' cuts then?

• Registered Users Posts: 19,309 ✭✭✭✭alastair

kr7 wrote: »
    Such as?

And show me a case study where someone's house was seized because they didn't pay the HHC.
    In Ireland of course, not England, not Northern Ireland, just in Ireland.

No-one has managed to get to the point of secondary reminders of the HHC yet - let alone any enforcement action. :rolleyes:

Go check on them for yourself - show a little initiative eh? It's all a matter of public record.

No-one has managed to get to the point of secondary reminders of the HHC yet - let alone any enforcement action. :rolleyes:

So what are you talking about then?
    What has the C.A.B got to do with anything?

Stop clutching at straws, for god's sake.

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 15,858 ✭✭✭✭paddy147

So thats 3 simple questions put to alastair and no answers back......Just stupid pointless waffle.

Typical Fine Gaeler.

• Advertisement

Go check on them for yourself - show a little initiative eh? It's all a matter of public record.

Na, I can show you salary rises in the PS since 2008 if you like.

So what are you talking about then?
    What has the C.A.B got to do with anything?

Stop clutching at straws, for god's sake.

Go read the thread, and then come back with informed responses, eh?

paddy147 wrote: »
    So thats 3 simple questions put to alastair and no answers back.Just waffle.

Typical Fine Gaeler.

Paddy, even simple facts are denied!

Any other poster would be banned for trolling, simple as that.:confused:

Na, I can show you salary rises in the PS since 2008 if you like.

Fire ahead.

Paddy, even simple facts are denied!

Like the simple fact of public sector salary cuts? I know - some people are just blind to reality.

• Advertisement

In other words...you are talking through your ar5e and are caught out yet again.

You are asked a very simple question,and YET AGAIN you cannot answer anyone.

You really are some piece of work.Enda Kenny will be very proud of you so.:rolleyes:

Like the simple fact of public sector salary cuts? I know - some people are just blind to reality.

Are you blind to FG advisors all getting a 3k salary increase as a "thankyou" from Enda Kenny???

You like to avoid certain "real world" issues..dont you.:rolleyes:

• Closed Accounts Posts: 9,183 ✭✭✭dvpower

Here's the Budget 2010 public sector pay cuts.
    http://www.moneyguideireland.com/budget-2010-and-public-sector-pay-cuts.html

In other words...you are talking through your ar5e and are caught out yet again.

You are asked a very simple question,and YET AGAIN you cannot answer anyone.

You really are some piece of work.Enda Kenny will be very proud of you so.:rolleyes:

Paddy, the facts are there to see.

Ali can deny it all he likes, he's just losing any credibility he ever had by the minute.
    I've just shown him the facts and by the time I submit this post he'll tell me that black is white.
    It's quite amusing really.

Eh no - nothing about salary increases there. Workers on a reduced salary incremental scale, sure. But that would be reduced salaries. You're proposing no-one advances in their career?

dvpower wrote: »

Ah now - don't confuse the rant with facts.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,274 ✭✭✭darkhorse

There aren't that many with the same disposable income they had five years ago. That's not really the point. The overheads on keeping the country running, and dealing with the deficit - are a reality regardless. The fact is that we have been paying insufficient personal taxation for a long time. Compare our rates to any other european state and see where we sit. The economic position we are in requires two remedies: reduction in spend, and increase in revenues. Our scope for fiscal stimulus to boost employment and consequent revenue are hugely constrained because we can't access more loans.

So - if we all have to contribute more to dig ourselves out of this hole (and the reality is we do), there really isn't a painless means of doing that. Pretending that you can't afford it doesn't really wash when regular Joes with similar incomes manage it in neighbouring states.

Please read some what you've researched, then come back and tell me and thousands of others that we are pretending we can't afford it. Oh, by the by, just as a matter of interest, one of my good friends just happens to live in a LA house, where his rent is half of what I pay for my mortgage, he earns two and a half times what I do and is exempt household charge/tax. Explain to me what is fair and equitable about that, seeing as you have all the answers. Also, someone who lost their job and is on social welfare that owns their own house is not exempt.

Paddy, the facts are there to see.

Ali can deny it all he likes, he's just losing any credibility he ever had by the minute.
    I've just shown him the facts and by the time I submit this post he'll tell me that black is white.
    It's quite amusing really.

DV Power and Alastair have put me on "Ignore"

Now I wonder why that is??;):D

Maybe they cant face the "real world" and how it actually is.

Must be tough with that 3k salary increase and also the lovely silk tie that Enda will be giving them next year...1 of 10,000 ties payed for with tax payers money.:eek::rolleyes:

Eh no - nothing about salary increases there. Workers on a reduced salary incremental scale, sure. But that would be reduced salaries. You're proposing no-one advances in their career?

Ok, so the pay rises they're getting aren't as big as they used to be?

Stop digging.

BTW, your always comparing us to the UK, what do you make of this paragraph then?

Ireland's public sector pay structure is substantially higher than most other European countries and, on average, one-third higher than public sector workers in Britain. Latest comparable figures show that average British public service weekly earnings were €634 compared with the €913 paid to State employees here.

I suppose these aren't facts either?

• Advertisement

darkhorse wrote: »
    Please read some what you've researched, then come back and tell me and thousands of others that we are pretending we can't afford it. Oh, by the by, just as a matter of interest, one of my good friends just happens to live in a LA house, where his rent is half of what I pay for my mortgage, he earns two and a half times what I do and is exempt household charge/tax. Explain to me what is fair and equitable about that, seeing as you have all the answers. Also, someone who lost their job and is on social welfare that owns their own house is not exempt.

I know people who's mortgage is more than twice ours, and some who pay far less. I'm not whinging about t it though. You signed up for your house loan and knew what you were doing at the time, yes? And yes - we're no different to any other european society - who manage with higher taxation than here - what leads you believe that we're unique regarding affordability of taxes?

Stop digging.

BTW, your always comparing us to the UK, what do you make of this paragraph then?

Ireland's public sector pay structure is substantially higher than most other European countries and, on average, one-third higher than public sector workers in Britain. Latest comparable figures show that average British public service weekly earnings were €634 compared with the €913 paid to State employees here.

I suppose these aren't facts either?

Alastair lived in the Uk.

He also did not pay and refused to pay the poll tax.

Did you know that???

Sure ask him all about it.;)

darkhorse wrote: »

That's the kind of society ali and dv want, all money to be handed over to the state and the state to house everyone.
    We'll all be in council houses.

Alastair...why didnt you pay your poll tax when you lived in the UK?????

It would be nice of you to tell us all here why you purposely avoided paying it.

Alastair lived in the Uk.

He also did not pay and refused to pay the poll tax.

Did you know that???

Sure ask him all about it.;)

I have, but apparently it's ok to object to a tax that he deemed unfair in the UK, but not here.:D

Maybe he got a better job when he moved to Ireland and can now afford to pay his taxes.;)

Stop digging.

You seem to believe that increments are annual and automatic. They're not

Neither is an increment a salary increase - it's a promotion on the basis of increased experience - a mechanism not unknown in the private sector. Public sector workers who don't gain new responsibilities and experience stop getting increments in short order.

The fact - an unambiguous one - is that public sector salaries have been cut - and that's been 100% across the board - which is not something that can be claimed for the private sector. So all the talk about the public sector avoiding all the pain is simply ill-informed guff. Same tax increases as everyone else, salary cut, reduced pay package on the back of a pension levy - doesn't sound 'painless' to me.

That's the kind of society ali and dv want, all money to be handed over to the state and the state to house everyone.
    We'll all be in council houses.

More fantasies - you're a regular Walter Mitty.

I have, but apparently it's ok to object to a tax that he deemed unfair in the UK, but not here.:D

Maybe he got a better job when he moved to Ireland and can now afford to pay his taxes.;)

Or maybe he absolutely full of it and should now shut up,seen that he got caught out on this serious tax evading matter.

I wonder if he will answer anyone here on this thread who asks him.............why he didnt pay his poll tax???;)

There's the difference - I'm paying my taxes - unlike you. I've no outstanding tax debts anywhere. I've always paid my property taxes, council taxes, and NI domestic rates.

• Advertisement

So Alastair,is it perfectly ok to purposely evade paying a poll tax in the UK...but then to come back here to Ireland and say that everyone must pay the house tax/charge here.

Why did you purposely EVADE paying the poll tax in the UK??

Please answer this serious question.

This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement