Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Upcoming Irish property tax to cost 'on average' €1000 per house.(can you afford it?)

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 579 ✭✭✭Dub XV

alastair wrote: »
    Hardly worth asking then, was it?

In fairness it was worth asking. Your choice to try to spin an answer.

• Registered Users Posts: 51,926 ✭✭✭✭tayto lover

There aren't that many with the same disposable income they had five years ago. That's not really the point. The overheads on keeping the country running, and dealing with the deficit - are a reality regardless. The fact is that we have been paying insufficient personal taxation for a long time. Compare our rates to any other european state and see where we sit. The economic position we are in requires two remedies: reduction in spend, and increase in revenues. Our scope for fiscal stimulus to boost employment and consequent revenue are hugely constrained because we can't access more loans.

So - if we all have to contribute more to dig ourselves out of this hole (and the reality is we do), there really isn't a painless means of doing that. Pretending that you can't afford it doesn't really wash when regular Joes with similar incomes manage it in neighbouring states.

You sound as if you enjoy pain Al. Maybe you do.

• Registered Users Posts: 51,926 ✭✭✭✭tayto lover

More letters will be sent out next week anyone still not paying will face court end of this month where you can all look forward to paying more by heavier fines tax evaders shall be named and shamed in their local newspapers.

Pure rubbish again. There is no newspaper that big that it can print loads of extra pages of names for the same price. Wum.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,274 ✭✭✭darkhorse

Pure rubbish again. There is no newspaper that big that it can print loads of extra pages of names for the same price. Wum.

They'll probably extend Stubbs Gazette.:D:D:D

• Registered Users Posts: 19,309 ✭✭✭✭alastair

Dub XV wrote: »
    In fairness it was worth asking. Your choice to try to spin an answer.

No spin - I guess you're not prepared to deal in specifics then?

• Advertisement
  • Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 15,858 ✭✭✭✭paddy147

Well you are a tax evader (non payment of poll tax,because you felt it was unfair) but you feel it fine to give us the "moral highground" lecture.

You are blown clean out of the water here now,on all tax matters,so you aint got a leg to stand on anymore.

I dont think anyone gives a to55 what you say here anymore.

Regards.

That's not it at all.

I don't need avoidance replies. You show yourself up at times like that.

The public service wage bill needs to be reduced, yes or no?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 9,183 ✭✭✭dvpower

It has been reduced and it being reduced further. Wage cost reductions are part of the 3:1 ratio of spending cuts to tax rises.

Taxes need to increase, yes or no?

I don't need avoidance replies. You show yourself up at times like that.

Repeating that sort of slap dash opinion a second time doesn't really help your case tbh. Where are you talking about, and by how much?

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 448 ✭✭tunedout

Repeating that sort of slap dash opinion a second time doesn't really help your case tbh. Where are you talking about, and by how much?

Tax evader.

• Advertisement

dvpower wrote: »
    It has been reduced and it being reduced further. Wage cost reductions are part of the 3:1 ratio of spending cuts to tax rises.

Well......................

Yes, when have I ever stated differently? :confused:

Ha good one.

The public service and a fair wedge.

Why do you think I would have the figures? :confused:

You can try to belittle all you like but I don't feel you are succeeding.

Ha good one.

The public service and a fair wedge.

Why do you think I would have the figures? :confused:

You can try to belittle all you like but I don't feel you are succeeding.

I think it was self-evident that public sector wage cuts would probably take place within the public sector. :rolleyes:

Again - where and by how much? You obviously have an opinion in relation to this - so why not spell it out?

dvpower wrote: »

That's a slap dash response according to Alastair!

I think it was self-evident that public sector wage cuts would probably take place within the public sector. :rolleyes:

Again - where and by how much? You obviously have an opinion in relation to this - so why not spell it out?

Is that your Yes or No answer :confused:

:confused:

Don't worry about it.

I am not stating that cutting the PS wage bill will solve our deficit. I am not nailing everything to that mast.

Things have to be cut. Taxes have to be raised etc etc

You are somehow of the opinion that I am on a mission against the PS and you are very defensive.

The reason I will mention it is that all the cuts/taxes should be introduced in a fair manner.

Public Servents and their Unions are digging their heels in, Fair enough.

Homeowners are digging their heels in.......and you have a problem there :confused:

That's a slap dash response according to Alastair!

That was his point.

Don't worry about it.

I am not stating that cutting the PS wage bill will solve our deficit. I am not nailing everything to that mast.

You are somehow of the opinion that I am on a mission against the PS and you are very defensive.

The reason I will mention it is that all the cuts/taxes should be introduced in a fair manner.

Could you be any more vague?

Could you be any more vague?

In fairness, yes.

Homeowners are digging their heels in.......and you have a problem there :confused:

Public sector workers are homeowners too. At least we know the specifics of who's liable for the property tax, and a ballpark figure that will be levied. Unlike your wooly statement that you won't nail down.

• Advertisement

Public sector workers are homeowners too. At least we know the specifics of who's liable for the property tax, and a ballpark figure that will be levied. Unlike your wooly statement that you won't nail down.

Whats your point there in that attack?

Whats your point there in that attack?

No-one is attacking you. :rolleyes:

Mod

alastair, do not post in this thread again.

Ban lifted following review

• Registered Users Posts: 26,395 ✭✭✭✭noodler

Mod

alastair, do not post in this thread again.

That is extremely selective.

Could you please outline your reasoning for censoring that poster when the thread is filled with poorly-supported points by a plethora of others?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 747 ✭✭✭kr7

:confused:

Don't worry about it.

You won't get any answers regarding how much the cuts should bring in and how much new taxes should bring in from some posters here.
    I can guarantee you this though, any suggestions that you do put forward will be mocked and dismissed straight away.

I'd propose a cut in welfare across the board of 5%,
    a 3% raise in the higher rate of tax,
    a new tax band targeting those on over €100k,
    a charge to be levied on private renters and LA tenants of €300 PA, (if we also have to have a property tax)
    cut completely children's allowance for any household bringing in over €100k, a 50% cut in same for any household bringing in between €70-€100k,
    a 5% increase in corporate tax (still keeps us at a fairly modest rate).

Then, the elephant in the room will have to be tackled.

The fact that the average wage in our PS/CS is almost 50% higher than the same rate in the UK (which is the country that gets set as an example so often on here)
    The fact that pay rises are still the norm in the above mentioned PS / CS.
    The 'extra payments' that are given to these already cosseted state employees.

Let's get all this in order before we start taxing people for providing the roof over their head at no expense to the state.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,570 ✭✭✭RandomName2

noodler wrote: »
    That is extremely selective.

Could you please outline your reasoning for censoring that poster when the thread is filled with poorly-supported points by a plethora of others?

I went back through the last few pages.

In all fairness he was goading and getting into a comment war, which was actually distracting from his own position on the matter.

---

My personal view is that the BS has to stop somewhere The gov who trot out the line of "paying for services" and the opposition who think that this is just some FG-Labour conspiracy or mismanagement.

Both sides are IGNORING the massive deficit. As long as both sides continue to ignore it we are going to get lies, hypocrisy, and injustice in the means of arbitration.

I went back through the last few pages.

In all fairness he was goading and getting into a comment war, which was actually distracting from his own position on the matter.

---

My personal view is that the BS has to stop somewhere The gov who trot out the line of "paying for services" and the opposition who think that this is just some FG-Labour conspiracy or mismanagement.

Both sides are IGNORING the massive deficit. As long as both sides continue to ignore it we are going to get lies, hypocrisy, and injustice in the means of arbitration.

I know all about the massive deficit, I feel the effects of it every day in my business because of the cut backs.

But the more serious reason I feel the effects is the fact that people are scared sh1tless to commit to spending because of the kite flying, the threats of more and more taxes and the general feeling that this government, almost 18 months in power, are actually making things worse.

I'm not saying bring back FF or even change the government, but a sense of hope has to be given to the people.

We can only take so much.

NB, I know this may slightly contradict my last post, but what I proposed there were taxes etc to target the richest in society and everyone knows that welfare rates in Ireland are too high and in some cases discourage people from getting back to work.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,570 ✭✭✭RandomName2

kr7 wrote: »
    I know all about the massive deficit, I feel the effects of it every day in my business because of the cut backs.

But the more serious reason I feel the effects is the fact that people are scared sh1tless to commit to spending because of the kite flying, the threats of more and more taxes and the general feeling that this government, almost 18 months in power, are actually making things worse.

I'm not saying bring back FF or even change the government, but a sense of hope has to be given to the people.

We can only take so much.

NB, I know this may slightly contradict my last post, but what I proposed there were taxes etc to target the richest in society and everyone knows that welfare rates in Ireland are too high and in some cases discourage people from getting back to work.

Agreed.

And it frightened me last year when people said "Sure it's only a €100, you might spend that on a night out" or "They have to pay for services, you know"

:eek:

Talk about sheep. No disrespect meant or anything to folk in general, but they had even said that it was only a charge for registration for the property tax. :pac:

Now the line is: people in Dublin can afford to pay more tax than people outside of Dublin. Indeed - people in expensive property in Dublin (with higher mortgages) can afford to pay more than people in cheaper property.

The mind boggles.

And now it's just a guessing game and *hope to fcuk I can pay it*. What way is that to be treated ffs?

And who are our champions in the Dail? The spend everything, bankrupt the country, attack the middle-classes, easter lilly and hammer-and-sickle parade. It is enough to make you despair. :(

Agreed.

And it frightened me last year when people said "Sure it's only a €100, you might spend that on a night out" or "They have to pay for services, you know"

:eek:

Talk about sheep. No disrespect meant or anything to folk in general, but they had even said that it was only a charge for registration for the property tax. :pac:

Now the line is: people in Dublin can afford to pay more tax than people outside of Dublin. Indeed - people in expensive property in Dublin (with higher mortgages) can afford to pay more than people in cheaper property.

The mind boggles.

And now it's just a guessing game and *hope to fcuk I can pay it*. What way is that to be treated ffs?

And who are our champions in the Dail? The spend everything, bankrupt the country, attack the middle-classes, easter lilly and hammer-and-sickle parade. It is enough to make you despair. :(

Our only form of protest then, at least until the next election, is just not to pay this tax.

Let them get their own house in order before they come to tax mine!

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 9,183 ✭✭✭dvpower

Everyone is entitled to dig their heels in, in support of their own position.
    What people aren't entitled to do is break the law.

This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement