Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Upcoming Irish property tax to cost 'on average' €1000 per house.(can you afford it?)

Options

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,274 ✭✭✭darkhorse

dvpower wrote: »
    What exactly is the 'Fingleton issue' and how does it relate to the Property Tax?

I think that you are missing the point. If it was'nt for fingleton and morons like him, its unlikely that we would have high debts, I would imagine.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,641 ✭✭✭bgrizzley

So how did he know that Fingleton would fix him up then? How did he know he could go straight to the boss? Did he learn from this guy
    http://www.sundayworld.com/columnists/index.php?aid=11290

those two are old friends for a long time arent they?

http://www.independent.ie/national-news/old-friends-who-share-love-of-gaa-horses-and-politics-3073437.html

• Closed Accounts Posts: 9,183 ✭✭✭dvpower

darkhorse wrote: »
    I think that you are missing the point. If it was'nt for fingleton and morons like him, its unlikely that we would have high debts, I would imagine.

Oh right -a very tentative link so.
    Yeah - fingers - he was a bad, bad man.

Next.

• Registered Users Posts: 51,926 ✭✭✭✭tayto lover

Oh right -a very tentative link so.
    Yeah - fingers - he was a bad, bad man.

Next.

http://www.rte.ie/news/2011/0915/inbs_fingletonm.html

"Keep your friends close ...."

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 2,611 ✭✭✭Valetta

• Registered Users Posts: 3,235 ✭✭✭lugha

darkhorse wrote: »
    I had occasion to have my house valued in 2005 and it was valued at €320k. Now, in the meantime, I have maintained it to a fairly good standard. Fast forward to 2011, I had to have a valuation done as I was looking for a top up on my mortgage. This time the house was valued at €180k. Could you please explain to me how my house generated an income.:confused:

The value of your asset has changed over time, quite dramatically as it happens, just as happened with pretty much all of us. But this doesn’t negate the fact that your house effectively generates income. If you rented out your house you would accrue the income in cash form. If you continue to live in your house you accrue the income by virtue of not having to pay rent to live somewhere else.

Why do you suppose some would have multiple residential properties if they did not generate income?

lugha wrote: »
    The value of your asset has changed over time, quite dramatically as it happens, just as happened with pretty much all of us. But this doesn’t negate the fact that your house effectively generates income. If you rented out your house you would accrue the income in cash form. If you continue to live in your house you accrue the income by virtue of not having to pay rent to live somewhere else.

Why do you suppose some would have multiple residential properties if they did not generate income?

lot of ifs there lugha.
    if i drilled an oil well in my back garden i could possibly make millions , why dont they tax me on that instead?

• Registered Users Posts: 43,311 ✭✭✭✭K-9

bgrizzley wrote: »
    lot of ifs there lugha.
    if i drilled an oil well in my back garden i could possibly make millions , why dont they tax me on that instead?

Well going on Shell to Sea arguments we could just take over your house and drill, baby, drill.

Mad Men's Don Draper : What you call love was invented by guys like me, to sell nylons.

• Advertisement

Such a load of sh*te I've never read in my life.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 86 ✭✭Mach Lei

Has anyone received a so called warning letter yet?

Mach Lei wrote: »

Don't believe this lad registered yet -
    http://www.dailymail.co.uk/news/arti...ght-Hogan.html

• Registered Users Posts: 21,021 ✭✭✭✭dxhound2005

Probably only if they have a so called second home.

Probably only if they have a so called second home.

or if they have already paid...

Undiluted bullsh1t.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 86 ✭✭Mach Lei

Isnt it strange four months past the deadline no one on here has gotten any warning letters,no one I know friends/family has gotten one of these letters, surely they would of sent out some letters to people who just own a primary residence by now, strange no sample test court cases happening yet so far.

Isnt it strange four months past the deadline no one on here has gotten any warning letters,no one I know friends/family has gotten one of these letters, surely they would of sent out some letters to people who just own a primary residence by now, strange no sample test court cases happening yet so far.

This is just a little discussion group on the internet nothing to do with the real world.

http://www.irishtimes.com/newspaper/ireland/2012/0815/1224322197721.html

Yeah - weird that.
    I was waiting for a bus this morning and none arrived. I guess the bus company must have went out of business - its the only explanation.:p

this is the whole point Mach Lei. they just dont know who to send those letters to.
    they have the list of people who have registered for the HHC and the nppr list(those that registered) and thats it. all they have after that is vague threats about esb bills and a mire of trouble trying to figure out who owns what. they gave it their best shot and now they are stumped.

better luck next time lads!!;)

• Advertisement

Irish Examiner " 44% refuse to pay the HHC".

Now that's a very high percentage despite all the threats.

this is the whole point Mach Lei. they just dont know who to send those letters to.
    they have the list of people who have registered for the HHC and the nppr list(those that registered) and thats it. all they have after that is vague threats about esb bills and a mire of trouble trying to figure out who owns what. they gave it their best shot and now they are stumped.

better luck next time lads!!;)

One of the bodies specified in the legislation as being able to share and exchange data is the Revenue Commissioners. There are about 770,000 mortgages in the country and a sizable proportion of those housholders would have given their details in order to get mortgage interest relief. So that is one database which could be used.

At this point over €100 millon has been collected, about 63% of the target of €161 million. If you average that out over 12 months then come Christmas 100% will have paid. Of course that won't happen but I predicted way back that 75% of the target would be achieved by then and I see no reason to change that view now.

CAHWT can hardly claim sucess at this point with over €100 million collected.

Irish Examiner " 44% refuse to pay the HHC".

I can see taytos post around christmas time:
    Irish Examiner " 24% refuse to pay the HHC".

:pac:

I can see taytos post around christmas time:

:pac:

Ha ha i'll happily be part of that 24%.

One of the bodies specified in the legislation as being able to share and exchange data is the Revenue Commissioners. There are about 770,000 mortgages in the country and a sizable proportion of those housholders would have given their details in order to get mortgage interest relief. So that is one database which could be used.

At this point over €100 millon has been collected, about 63% of the target of €161 million. If you average that out over 12 months then come Christmas 100% will have paid. Of course that won't happen but I predicted way back that 75% of the target would be achieved by then and I see no reason to change that view now.

now, that would be a good idea. have the revenue chasing E100s while the elite tax dodgers salt their millions away in the Caymans.
    FG, who'd have em? :rolleyes:

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,025 ✭✭✭Am Chile

This is just a little discussion group on the internet nothing to do with the real world.

http://www.irishtimes.com/newspaper/ireland/2012/0815/1224322197721.html

Yeah from landlords who own multiple properties who can easily pass on the charge by increasing the rent on their tenants-I don't know how many posters on here are landlords with multiple properties-I can't recall on the record the cahwt arguing against a tax on investment properties where landlords make a profit off the people they rent their properties to-what I can recall is the cahwt arguing a tax on the family home they were against which a good few on here seem to agree.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,025 ✭✭✭Am Chile

I posted about this earlier a signifigant enough portion of the money raised came from landlords owning multiple properties not single individual homeowners.

http://www.boards.ie/vbulletin/showpost.php?p=80251084&postcount=2642

now, that would be a good idea. have the revenue chasing E100s while the elite tax dodgers salt their millions away in the Caymans.
    FG, who'd have em? :rolleyes:

I think it's a good thing that they do go after the type of people you mentioned. You must have missed all the publicity every three months this last ten years or so where defaulters are named and shamed. Usually take in €100 million or so per quarter, watch out for Quarter 2 of 2012 due out soon.

Just some random details from a previous list.

http://www.irishtimes.com/newspaper/breaking/2011/1213/breaking44.html

A total of 84 taxpayers feature in the latest list, of which 40 were for amounts exceeding €100,000 with four of these exceeding €1 million.

Separately, Bernard Carroll, a property dealer and landlord who is also the owner of the racehorse Numbersixvalverde, which won the 2005 Irish Grand National and the 2006 Aintree Grand National, agreed a tax settlement with Revenue for €332,320.

Two Dublin-based men, who are both directors of the same three companies, received agreed settlements of almost €2 million for failing to declare tax and holding offshore accounts. Josef Katz, with an address in Terenure, agreed a settlement for €1.57 million while Robert Katz, with an address in Kimmage, settled for €443,850.

Another Dublin-based company director, Edward J Treacy, with an address in Blackrock, agreed a settlement of €1.4 million.

They also go after the small guys using illegal diesel, selling counterfeit cigarettes etc so I suppose any category of tax defaulter is fair game.

Am Chile wrote: »
    Yeah from landlords who own multiple properties who can easily pass on the charge by increasing the rent on their tenants-I don't know how many posters on here are landlords with multiple properties-I can't recall on the record the cahwt arguing against a tax on investment properties where landlords make a profit off the people they rent their properties to-what I can recall is the cahwt arguing a tax on the family home they were against which a good few on here seem to agree.

you can be a landlord and have 100 properties (put them down at 150k each), you have real assets of 15 million and what does this wealth tax cost you? the princely sum of E100 for your own house.
    hhc for the other 99 properties get passed on to the renters, who have no wealth whatsoever.

you own you own home worth 150k whats it cost you? E100 same as that landlord worth E15,000,000, same as those renters whose wealth is 0

seems legit...

• Advertisement

I think it's a good thing that they do go after the type of people you mentioned. You must have missed all the publicity every three months this last ten years or so where defaulters are named and shamed. Usually take in €100 million or so per quarter, watch out for Quarter 2 of 2012 due out soon.

no, i havent missed it, just think its a shame they will be running around chasing 700,000 people for E100, it may just impede some of the good work they are doing catching real criminals.

This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement