Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Good Suncream

• 22-07-2012 10:58pm
    Closed Accounts Posts: 1,778 ✭✭✭

Going on holidays next week and was wondering if anyone could recommend a good, decently priced suncream? Anytime I've been away before I've gone with family, this time I'm going with friends. Normally I'd use Boots Soltan, but hadn't realised the price of it! Obviously it's worth it if it's going to keep me protected, and I don't mind paying for it if it's the best option. But I was just wondering if there are any alternatives that are just as good but a little bit cheaper?

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,579 ✭✭✭charlietheminxx

Piz Buin Once a Day in factor 30 (although it does need to be applied twice a day :P)

It's the best suncream I've found and it absorbs into the skin much better than Soltan.

I've seen bottles of it on special offer all over the place in the last week - you should get the small-ish bottle (enough for a week or two) for 8 or 9 euro at the mo - but make sure to shop around for it :)

It's on special offer on www.carapharmacy.com at the mo too - this site was recommended last week and is AMAZING!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,174 ✭✭✭RhubarbCrumble

I think Boots Soltan is on Buy one get one free at the moment.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,778 ✭✭✭leaveiton

I think Boots Soltan is on Buy one get one free at the moment.

Indeed it is, thanks! :) Hadn't realised that before, so it made everything much more affordable. Picked up two big bottles today.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 350 ✭✭ICANN

I use Piz Buin factor 30, I have the spray one and the cream and I prefer the cream one.

On the topic of sun cream- what do ye use on your face for protection?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 25,005 ✭✭✭✭Toto Wolfcastle

I used Soltan on a recent holiday and I didn't find it great. I always find it better to pick some up when you go on holiday. I got a pharmacy brand aerosol in America that was brilliant.

As for the face, Dermalogica does a great one that you can mix in with your moisturiser.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 98 ✭✭Lavidabonita

I just came back from Spain and I used Garniers sun cream. It's a new spray one and its actually clear. It's really good because its not white and gloopy and also, I am extremely pale and I used it (factor 30) for the whole 2 weeks and didn't get burnt/red at all!I got it in boots buy 1 get 1 free :D You should definitely check it out!I'll be using it next year!

Piz Buin Once a Day in factor 30 (although it does need to be applied twice a day :P)
    I just came back from Spain and I used Garniers sun cream.

Afaik they don't provide 5 star UVA protection which would be a priority for me.

Afaik they don't provide 5 star UVA protection which would be a priority for me.

REALLY?! I never knew that - I always though Piz Buin was the best :eek:

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 690 ✭✭✭puffishoes

REALLY?! I never knew that - I always though Piz Buin was the best :eek:

Whatever works best for you is the best.

I use Piz Buin and garnier and I'm extremely sensitive to uv and they've both been fine.

Well it was recommended to me by my doctor when I was 19, because I'm a pale redhead and have a pre-disposition to cellular dermatofibroma (can't spell!). Anyway, I've always been careful with my skin but I've sworn by that stuff ever since... I would hate to think I have unknowingly been neglecting to protect myself from UVA though :o

• Advertisement

Well it was recommended to me by my doctor when I was 19, because I'm a pale redhead and have a pre-disposition to cellular dermatofibroma (can't spell!). Anyway, I've always been careful with my skin but I've sworn by that stuff ever since... I would hate to think I have unknowingly been neglecting to protect myself from UVA though :o

Yes I was diagnosed with something relating to UV that I can't spell either ;)

it's essentially an allergic reaction to UVA/B if it didn't have UVA protection I would be walking around as a giant pimple :)

I also top up with a factor 80 spray just to be sure ;)

Is it solar urticaria? One of my friends has that! It's really rare isn't it?

Is it solar urticaria? One of my friends has that! It's really rare isn't it?

It's Hawaian Tropic.

Yes it can be hard to find the last batch I got was from the Dominican republic i think.

I think amazon does have it from time to time too!

I meant the skin condition :o

I meant the skin condition :o

hahaha.

I can't remember the exact name it was given it's been 20 years or so since I looked into it but it's a form of Polymorphic Light Eruption

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,639 ✭✭✭Miss Lockhart

I too have polymorphic light eruption. I was told suncream doesn't help. Obviously it still stops you getting burnt but it doesn't stop the allergic reaction to the light.

I use Ambre Solaire Factor 50 for my body and La Roche Posay for my face. I find them both excellent - but everybody is sensitive to different ingredients (if allergies are an issue).

I don't find any suncreams make a difference to my PLE - I just have to keep covered.

I too have polymorphic light eruption. I was told suncream doesn't help. Obviously it still stops you getting burnt but it doesn't stop the allergic reaction to the light.

I use Ambre Solaire Factor 50 for my body and La Roche Posay for my face. I find them both excellent - but everybody is sensitive to different ingredients (if allergies are an issue).

I don't find any suncreams make a difference to my PLE - I just have to keep covered.

I think the effect's greatly differ between people who have it, I spend a lot of time in Italy and there factor 50 doesn't really help it still comes out. but in Ireland as long as I top up at least every hour or so I don't get the physical reaction on the skin.

Others seem to be fine if they stay out of the sun at peak hours where for me it can be 7 am in the morning and I'll still get the reaction.

It can be a bit of a nuisance

• Registered Users Posts: 498 ✭✭FueledByAisling

I don't have any product recommendations but I do have some things to consider when buying them as this is what I saw on a science program and double checked with my dermatologist

* Make sure the sun cream is BOTH UVA and UVB protective, UVA protects against the cologen in your skin being damaged (eg wrinkles and sun spots!) and UVB protects against the burning of your skin

*Wear nothing less than a factor 50 on your face as the skin is at it's thinnest there and you'll notice aging the most there.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,181 ✭✭✭molly09

I use the spf 50 La Roche Posay , I put in on in the morn before makeup adn after moisturer,

I dont top up during teh day, just wondering should I be topping up, I am pale and sensitive to sun also?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,639 ✭✭✭Miss Lockhart

puffishoes wrote: »
    I think the effect's greatly differ between people who have it, I spend a lot of time in Italy and there factor 50 doesn't really help it still comes out. but in Ireland as long as I top up at least every hour or so I don't get the physical reaction on the skin.

Others seem to be fine if they stay out of the sun at peak hours where for me it can be 7 am in the morning and I'll still get the reaction.

It can be a bit of a nuisance

Yes I'm sure there are probably different levels of sensitivity. I react in Ireland even on a seemingly cloudy day. Even sunlight through a window is enough to set it off.

• Advertisement
Advertisement