Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Farran Woods Yellow Lines & €5 Charge Everyday

Options
  • 22-07-2012 11:12pm
    Registered Users Posts: 7

Has anybody seen the yellow lines at Farran Woods.
    Now that we all have less money in our pockets some bureaucrat decides to force us to pay €5 to go for a walk in the fresh air with our family's every day of the week at Farran Woods. Would it not make more economic sence to continue to hire the person at the gate and give him/her a job on Saturday and Sunday and also reduce the entrance to 2 or 3 euro.

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 2,221 ✭✭✭MrFrisp

ccs333 wrote: »
    Now that we all have less money in our pockets some bureaucrat decides to force us to pay €5 to go for a walk in the fresh air with our family's every day of the week at Farran Woods. Would it not make more economic sence to continue to hire the person at the gate and give him/her a job on Saturday and Sunday and also reduce the entrance to 2 or 3 euro.

Maybe it's the belief that greed makes more money at €5.00 a go rather than at €2.00/€3.00.

And that's all it is....Greed.

The yellow lines were put there as there was loads of cars parking on the road leading up to the car park,,,but nobody was using it.

• Registered Users Posts: 283 ✭✭reic

I presume that's 5 euro per car and not per person?

• Registered Users Posts: 64 ✭✭JimmyTee

It is €5 per car.

I was out there today, for the first time this summer and first time having to pay for a " walk in the woods"

Of Course i did not have the €5 in coins, and as the machine won't take notes we had to go find a shop to get change. nearest shop is about 4 miles away.

The entrance and roadway outside was jammed. with cars double parked and jammed in anyway they could.

No doubt the guards will be told to go out there some nice sunny sunday and dish out parking tickets on family cars, So that will either drive people into the car park or away from the woods.

I would have been out there too only we had the baby asleep in the car when we arrived, and wanted to park inside so the rest of the kids could run around and play.

By the time we were leaving 16:30, we were one of 2 cars parked in a big empty car park.

I personally think it's mean and greedy out of the Coillte to charge people to go into the woods.

Its hard enough to entertain kids these days with little money about.

As far as i'm concerned they can shove their pay parking and double yellows as i won't be back and i sure a lot of other people will do the same.:mad:

• Registered Users Posts: 870 ✭✭✭overmantle

I hadn't realised about this. It seems stupid and will put people off going to use the amenity.

• Registered Users Posts: 12,499 ✭✭✭✭TheDriver

having said that, try driving past it on a sat or sun and trying to negotiate all the cars on the road on a corner, its quite frustrating though fiver is bit steep, they should have made the car park cheap and yellow lines...

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 7,516 ✭✭✭Outkast_IRE

Guys i use that woods every week for running and dog walking and my opinion is this.

The park is kept in excellent condition most of the time, grass well cut , play areas tended etc.

Yes its a fiver a go which is steep i wouldnt pay it .

Or you could go away and get a coillte annual pass for 35 euro have access to every park in the country including the mountain biking parks which are up to 10 euros to park.

The annual pass is here http://websales.coillteoutdoors.ie/

• Registered Users Posts: 8,463 ✭✭✭Markcheese

If they charged 1 or 2 euros to park they'd make more than trying to charge a fiver to drive into a car-park in the middle of no-where ...

Slava ukraini 🇺🇦

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 16,659 ✭✭✭✭dahamsta

Just in case anyone from Coillte happens by: I used to go to Farran every once in a while for a walk, but I won't anymore. €5 is silly money for parking at a woods. Even Fota charges €2 less.

• Registered Users Posts: 32 graffikaz

Totally agree with all posts, its a disgrace to be charging €5 to park your car while you go for a walk...yes the park is kept fab but come on its a joke. Any time i have been there the carpark is empty. I think something should be done to get this changed...we cant even go 4 a nice sunday stroll now without being fleeced!

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 16,659 ✭✭✭✭dahamsta

Well, you can. Somewhere else.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 8,463 ✭✭✭Markcheese

Pity farmer next door doesn't provide parking for less...everybody happy ...except coilte ...

Slava ukraini 🇺🇦

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,563 ✭✭✭segaBOY

Sympathise with people, it seems like we are getting squeezed for everything!

As stated previously get a season ticket as it is worth it IMO.

Whether you agree with the charge or not someone will get badly injured or killed the way people are parking just after the bend at the moment, it is also very difficult for people exiting the wood to see the oncoming traffic hence the double yellow lines. People go fast on that road and it the main route for people going from the town of Coachford to the main Cork Macroom road. The Gardaí ticketed people one Saturday for parking on double yellows, so be careful! I would strongly advise people to think of their safety and the safety of others before deciding the €5 or €35 seasonal ticket is not worth it.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,563 ✭✭✭segaBOY

JimmyTee wrote: »
    It is €5 per car.

I was out there today, for the first time this summer and first time having to pay for a " walk in the woods"

Of Course i did not have the €5 in coins, and as the machine won't take notes we had to go find a shop to get change. nearest shop is about 4 miles away.

The entrance and roadway outside was jammed. with cars double parked and jammed in anyway they could.

No doubt the guards will be told to go out there some nice sunny sunday and dish out parking tickets on family cars, So that will either drive people into the car park or away from the woods.

I would have been out there too only we had the baby asleep in the car when we arrived, and wanted to park inside so the rest of the kids could run around and play.

By the time we were leaving 16:30, we were one of 2 cars parked in a big empty car park.

I personally think it's mean and greedy out of the Coillte to charge people to go into the woods.

Its hard enough to entertain kids these days with little money about.

As far as i'm concerned they can shove their pay parking and double yellows as i won't be back and i sure a lot of other people will do the same.:mad:

Yes the machine is stupid not taking notes. It is crazy. Bear in mind that there was always a facility for charging at the wood via the operative in the box. He has since retired and he was only able to man i at certain times. I agree the whole thing is a balls, particularly when you would expect a nice walk to be free after we are screwed for everything else. Also they are now felling some of the trees, but it is Coillte's remit to actually try and be commercial as it is a semi-state body so I can see why they may need to get some revenue for the upkeep of the woods. Could have been handled better in my view but my main concern is how people are dangerously blocking one lane of the public highway at a bend. It is an accident waiting to happen.

• Registered Users Posts: 33 Mr.Christmas

ccs333 wrote: »

Totally agree - will never return there. Greed and folly.

I emailed Coilte and of course I got no reply.

• Registered Users Posts: 7,544 ✭✭✭Hogzy

Curabinny it is then. Asking €5 is way over the top. If it were a Euro or two then i would have no problem. Id rather keep my money and go for a walk in another park in Cork County or on a beach and get a pint.

• Registered Users Posts: 3 garrysull

I use Farran mostly every Sunday and the odd Friday to run there and it's one of the nicest places to run on this side of Cork. Fortunately, I live close by and I am aged 16, so my mother drives me. I will never pay €5 to enjoy a run in the outdoors and they can't enforce.
    It is not that I am being frugal, but I cannot agree to pay for the outdoors.
    This is why this country is being destroyed by money grabbing imbeciles.

• Registered Users Posts: 8,704 ✭✭✭Worztron

garrysull wrote: »
    I use Farran mostly every Sunday and the odd Friday to run there and it's one of the nicest places to run on this side of Cork. Fortunately, I live close by and I am aged 16, so my mother drives me. I will never pay €5 to enjoy a run in the outdoors and they can't enforce.
    It is not that I am being frugal, but I cannot agree to pay for the outdoors.
    This is why this country is being destroyed by money grabbing imbeciles.

I agree.

Whats next? A toll to get into Fitzgeralds Park? :mad:

Mitch Hedberg: "Rice is great if you're really hungry and want to eat two thousand of something."

• Registered Users Posts: 2,221 ✭✭✭MrFrisp

Worztron wrote: »
    I agree.

Shhhhhhhhhhhh...

Don't give them ideas,,ffs.:D

• Registered Users Posts: 3 garrysull

Worztron wrote: »
    I agree.

Apparently, now you have to have a license to feed the ducks in The Lough also...

• Registered Users Posts: 160 ✭✭corkthai

went here yesterday for the first time in a long while... Ok for 5 euro its ok every now and then..

But then , i went in to the park....A few issues.

1) A lot of trees are dead and left to rot ? A lot of felling also going on in there.
    2) Lots of what looks like Xmas trees in heaps left to Rot
    3) Dog poo every where...and dogs off the leash
    4) Green paint in the water, and not just one place. Along the shore and on the stones around. Has this come from the National rowing center ?
    5) The barrier up on the entrance to the rowing center so people just using this car park instead.

It just looks like a forgotten park now, charging and no upkeep being done.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1 Shaneallen12

Went to the woods today and got a big surprise , five euro to go for a walk with my kids what a joke never again

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,073 ✭✭✭gobnaitolunacy

Maybe people should go somewhere else for a walk instead of moaning about it.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,722 ✭✭✭silly

I went there one day with my kids at the start of the summer, not realising the fee.
    I didnt have a fiver on me, we were only out to go for a walk - didnt think i needed money.
    Thankfully there was rowing going on at the time, so i just parked there, walked around the park for an hour and kids had a great time at the play ground and off we went.
    Never went back again.
    The 5 euro is an absolute joke - but that 35 euro annual pass sounds like a good investment if this is the way the country is going..

Advertisement