Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Painting Exterior of House - Red Dye...

• 22-07-2012 11:17pm
    Registered Users Posts: 178 ✭✭

I've been talking about painting the house for a while now but on one gable end and a bit around the back the walls seem to have this red dye, the kind you'd see on houses that are never painted for years.

This image shows it more as it was raining and it is like it runs or is more noticeable in wet weather or in certain light. It can be seen on some of the kerb on the lawn and on the footpath on the opposite side of this bungalow.

Whats the best thing to do with this I could see about washing it etc but there is goes up to 24' at the peak.

Advice please...someone said I should just paint over it with an undercoat etc. I haven't asked in a store and maybe that the best thing.

Click here on house dye.JPG to see what I am talking about.

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,379 ✭✭✭CarrickMcJoe

Power wash it off, that fungus will bleed through in 6 months

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 7,786 ✭✭✭slimjimmc

It's not a dye, it's an algae that grows on masonry. Kill it with a solution of bleach, leave for a few days then power wash.
    Take care when power washing that you don't damage the render.

See previous thread here.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 7,185 ✭✭✭10-10-20

No joke, but I have only ever seen that fungus on the west of the Shannon. It's very prevalent in Mayo/Sligo for example, but I have never seen it in Dublin or Kildare etc...
    Obviously it like the "terroir" of the region!

Advertisement