Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Kilkenny Skatepark Campaign.

Options
  • 22-07-2012 11:22pm
    Registered Users Posts: 23

If you're around on Tuesday at 1pm we're looking for people to come down to the Canal in Kilkenny for a filming session and a photo for a new presentation from USK (Urban Sports Kilkenny) about the Skatepark campaign.

We would greatly appreciate support for the project.

20+ years clocked up in this campaign; we want to finish it.

Everyone is welcome!

Comments

• Moderators, Technology & Internet Moderators, Regional South East Moderators Posts: 28,497 Mod ✭✭✭✭Cabaal

Not to put a dampener on your campaign but just curious, will this film be covering how you are going to repair or pay for the damage you've caused to the seats down by the side of the castle?

• Registered Users Posts: 23 Kilkenny360

It's hard to tell those involved with USK and K360 not to skate one of the only places in town where they are no longer hassled.

If we can provide a Skatepark in Kilkenny, they would have somewhere to go and wouldn't be damaging property.

• Registered Users Posts: 736 ✭✭✭Doff

Sounds more like a threat than a request to be honest.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,757 ✭✭✭Deliverance XXV

It's hard to tell those involved with USK and K360 not to skate one of the only places in town where they are no longer hassled.

If we can provide a Skatepark in Kilkenny, they would have somewhere to go and wouldn't be damaging property.

While I agree with having a skatepark would be a positive addition to cater for that community, I don't think the lack of the facility should encourage the 'damage of property'.
    Although, it is a great sight to see you in action and the tourists love it! Good luck with the campaign :)

• Registered Users Posts: 4,473 ✭✭✭longshotvalue

I would imagine a skatepark would be way down the list of needed facilities. Probably correctly so as its very much a minority pasttime. (used by people who cant vote yet)

If it wast built when it was raining money a few years ago there is very little chance now..

• Advertisement

It certainly wasn't meant as a threat - I meant skaters will skate no matter what, like anyone involved in a sport. They are doing what they enjoy and unfortunately at the moment they don't have many places available to them to practice and enjoy their sport.

We know there isn't much money in the council's budget a the moment - we've had money promised to the project time and time again, then drying up. It's happened over the past 20+ years. We're looking for support with fundraising, something the community can get involved with.

In the end, the majority of these are kids looking for somewhere to go and we want to help.

It's time for a change in Kilkenny. 20+ years and still without a Skatepark for the Rollerbladers, Skateboarders and Bmxers of Kilkenny.

Help us change that. Become involved with the Skatepark campaign.

http://vimeo.com/46358131

• Users Awaiting Email Confirmation Posts: 2,584 ✭✭✭kikel

Best of luck with the campaign.

Kieran

Thank you Kieran!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 10,325 ✭✭✭✭Dozen Wicked Words

Good luck and all that but I don't see the need for new thread.

• Advertisement
  • Moderators, Sports Moderators, Regional South East Moderators Posts: 11,391 Mod ✭✭✭✭Captain Havoc

Threads merged

https://ormondelanguagetours.com

Walking Tours of Kilkenny in English, French or German.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,191 ✭✭✭foxcoverteddy

The old people run the town, most of them wouldn't know one end of a skateboard to the other. Yes of course we need one for our up and coming generation, give them something and whilst we are on that subject is it not time for a BMX track and a cycle Velodrome.
    With a bit of commonsense Kilkenny could become the Irish centre for cycling and skate boarding, other towns have blown the opportunity, so come on people lets get our town on the map.
    Think of the money it will bring in, not just the usual tourists who come and see the High St and Castle and buy the rip off coffee's close by.
    Given enough support we might just make it a dream come true, before I have to hang up my skateboard and put the BMX away.
    Yes some git stole it from Clonea a few weeks ago, a dark orange X rated
    Decoy, if you see it let us know.
    Kilkenny for cyclist, BMXer's and skateboarder's

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,220 ✭✭✭Davaeo09

The old people run the town, most of them wouldn't know one end of a skateboard to the other. Yes of course we need one for our up and coming generation, give them something and whilst we are on that subject is it not time for a BMX track and a cycle Velodrome.
    With a bit of commonsense Kilkenny could become the Irish centre for cycling and skate boarding, other towns have blown the opportunity, so come on people lets get our town on the map.
    Think of the money it will bring in, not just the usual tourists who come and see the High St and Castle and buy the rip off coffee's close by.
    Given enough support we might just make it a dream come true, before I have to hang up my skateboard and put the BMX away.
    Yes some git stole it from Clonea a few weeks ago, a dark orange X rated
    Decoy, if you see it let us know.
    Kilkenny for cyclist, BMXer's and skateboarder's

Well said mate :cool:

Another benefit from all of this would be, let's just say a skate park opens next year and in 4 years time there are X many more teenagers/kids/adults not hanging around the streets, not doing harm to others or being a general nuisance to society. There is a desperate need for some thing to be done about Irelands growing social problems and I feel by getting people into some thing more constructive, be it rock climbing, skating, hurling, soccer, tennis, etc :pac:

Sorry to say you won't succeed if you don't shout and make a noise, come on skateboarder's, parents all those in favour, it could be a long job, make your views known, use the Boards, tell friends, mum and dad, sister's uncles etc.
    You want a decent place, lets do it, see the money wasted on the ring road and the cobbles in Keiron St and even worse up to the castle.
    A skatepark for 2013, what about a cycle track in the park.
    Sitting on the backside will not do it.

They are making the ring road double lane the whole way, hardly a waste of money or do you not drive?

Not true about the ring road and in any case you are starting something that hasn't anything to do with our children having the benefits of modern facilities, bloody typical, either keep on the thread or keep out.

Your the one that brought up the ringroad? I suppose those double lanes just magically appeared after the roadworks then. If its people with your attitude pushing to get the skatepark then I really can't see it happening.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,401 ✭✭✭shortys94

Good luck with it, really great asset to a town, when done right it looks impressive too

Doff wrote: »
    Your the one that brought up the ringroad? I suppose those double lanes just magically appeared after the roadworks then. If its people with your attitude pushing to get the skatepark then I really can't see it happening.

Tbf though, the amount of time it takes the council to do any thing, you could consider it a waste of time. If they wanted, they could be long finished, but obviously by drawing it out the get more money.

Kilkenny does need a skate park though, Kiltorcan was a great asset for the county when it was there. I remember big BMX competitions, skateboard tours and dirty sanchez coming to the park. Great days out with well over 200 people there. Back in the days when Summer was sunny lol.

And Oh Hai Doff! :D

Come on Doff, bury your hatchet and give your support to us younger people, we don't need to squabble over council waste, ledts move on and look to the future.
    The young need aspirations, the old fogies have had their day, open your heart for the youngsters of the country.

• Advertisement

Hello there :P

Some of the stuff on the ring road is bollox like putting up new signs when they were only recently done and the dragging it out bit is true, but the double lanes were needed ever since they added them as far as the watershed roundabout, they created a big bottle neck of traffic at the Waterford road roundabout.

I'm not even against a skate park I just think some of the things used to justify it are wrong. Maybe if they sought a privately owned one and seen how many people were up for it then the council might pull the finger out and fund one knowing they will get the profit. I know telling them they are wasting their money on the ring road and they should make a skatepark isn't a great way to ask them. Telling people how to do their job or criticizing their work isn't going to make them agree any faster.

Okay Doff give us your plan of action on how to go about the project, this is what it is about, inter action, greatly appreciate your support, the youngsters need as much as you can give, no one listens to them, well done look forward to your idea's.

• Moderators, Technology & Internet Moderators, Regional South East Moderators Posts: 28,497 Mod ✭✭✭✭Cabaal

Other then making videos about wanting a skatepark and complaining about it have the people that want one actively sought funding/any grants available themselves, have they organized fund raising events, raffle ticket sales, car boat sales....basically any sort of event that any normal group would run in order to get the name heard and money raised for what they want.

Its all fine and well expecting the council and as such the tax payer to fit the bill but unless your prepared to put alot more time and effort into it (other then making a video or two) then the council won't take your seriously and imho rightly so.

foxcoverteddy, your somewhat deluded in relation to this subject, your saying it;ll bring money in but how exactly? If the people that want the skate park can't even raise money to build one do you honestly think they'll bother organising an actual profitable event on a regular basic. The majority of teenage skateboarders are not actually known as being big money spenders when compared to say a tourist visiting Kilkenny to see the castle.

In addition you can bitch about the likes of the coffee shop in the castle but like it or not its profitable and it brings in money each day, a skate park isn't profitable on a daily basis and the people using it generally don't have a regular decent income (teenagers).

As for works on the ringroad, well you'd likely be here complaining in a year or two about the condition of the ringroad and traffic esp on the old Waterford road roundabout. works on such a busy road are required and improvements on the foothpaths etc are needed considering the amount of people who use the ringround for exercise daily (cycling, walking, running).

foxcoverteddy, you've said sitting on your backside won't change anything but I've yet to see you actually put forward any solid solutions other then just expecting the council to spend money (atleast the council get a solid return on road improvements..improved traffic flow etc).

Again why are the people that want it so much not more activity raising money?, Kilkenny360 already mentioned above that this has been going on 20 years so by now had they been raising money themselves instead of expecting others to fit the bill then they certainly would have had the money by now.

You have to ask yourself the question, do these people really really want it...because it actually looks like a half arsed effort.

In sort, whatever hope this half arsed effort had during the boom years they have to be kidding themselves if they think hand outs are coming their way at this stage. They need to be prepared to put in alot of work if they want a return.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,326 ✭✭✭S28382

Cabaal wrote: »
    Other then making videos about wanting a skatepark and complaining about it have the people that want one actively sought funding/any grants available themselves, have they organized fund raising events, raffle ticket sales, car boat sales....basically any sort of event that any normal group would run in order to get the name heard and money raised for what they want.

Its all fine and well expecting the council and as such the tax payer to fit the bill but unless your prepared to put alot more time and effort into it (other then making a video or two) then the council won't take your seriously and imho rightly so.

foxcoverteddy, your somewhat deluded in relation to this subject, your saying it;ll bring money in but how exactly? If the people that want the skate park can't even raise money to build one do you honestly think they'll bother organising an actual profitable event on a regular basic. The majority of teenage skateboarders are not actually known as being big money spenders when compared to say a tourist visiting Kilkenny to see the castle.

In addition you can bitch about the likes of the coffee shop in the castle but like it or not its profitable and it brings in money each day, a skate park isn't profitable on a daily basis and the people using it generally don't have a regular decent income (teenagers).

As for works on the ringroad, well you'd likely be here complaining in a year or two about the condition of the ringroad and traffic esp on the old Waterford road roundabout. works on such a busy road are required and improvements on the foothpaths etc are needed considering the amount of people who use the ringround for exercise daily (cycling, walking, running).

foxcoverteddy, you've said sitting on your backside won't change anything but I've yet to see you actually put forward any solid solutions other then just expecting the council to spend money (atleast the council get a solid return on road improvements..improved traffic flow etc).

Again why are the people that want it so much not more activity raising money?, Kilkenny360 already mentioned above that this has been going on 20 years so by now had they been raising money themselves instead of expecting others to fit the bill then they certainly would have had the money by now.

You have to ask yourself the question, do these people really really want it...because it actually looks like a half arsed effort.

In sort, whatever hope this half arsed effort had during the boom years they have to be kidding themselves if they think hand outs are coming their way at this stage. They need to be prepared to put in alot of work if they want a return.

Well said Cabaal.

well said Cabaal!!!
    Typical negative diatribe, just what Kilkenny needs right now.
    Well written I will give you that, but such an old persons outlook, if people such as you and the person who runs with the hare and hunts with the hounds put some effort in for the youngster's we might actually achieve something.
    I will ask where are these youngster's going to get the money from, you might have an idea, and does everything have to have a profit margin.
    So how much does each tourist coach bring to the town? How much does each individual spend, do we get back what us the residentsput in?
    Given we will be paying rates or some kind of property tax do we not get a say for our children, or do we bow to the almighty tourist who doesn't care what there is for the younger generation to do when they have gone.
    So what property developer or the like is going to give these lads and lasses somewhere to build a skatepark.
    Most of us forget what it was like when we were young, you wasn't made to buy inflated goodies going to the pictures.
    These youngsters need your help, yes you, not to be continually condemmed.
    The council built a lovely car park for it's staff, did they contribute, is there a profit from having such a park?
    Go up the Hebron, the government offices have again fine parking facilities, no profit motive.
    Look at the spare ground at Loughboy by the hotel, skatepark site, why not, perhaps we might get a Supermac as well.
    Come on Cabaal use that ability to help the youngsters.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,326 ✭✭✭S28382

Haha Foxy you should be on the legends of boards. Your replies are sometimes soooo out there its funny. Fair play to ya:)

• Registered Users Posts: 541 ✭✭✭David09

What exactly are the objections to having a skatepark in Kilkenny?

David09 wrote: »
    What exactly are the objections to having a skatepark in Kilkenny?

Or the negatives even? Like It's a sporting facility that would be designed for all weather
    use.

Some thing that should not be under estimated is how much the sport would grow if the proper facilities were there. I myself used to rollerblade like the guys in that video, I know of 5 or 6 other guys who I used to skate with on a regular basis. Back then we had Kitorcan, which was a great skate park (largest in Ireland at time of opening) other than the fact it was out-door, it would have survived imho. We all pushed into our twenties and college/work/weather etc have all put us off going skating in Kilkenny. Causing a scene outside the castle during mid-day rush isn't my idea of skating either. A proper skate park, indoor and built for public use (minimal fee of some sort) it would get allot of the older people who have faded out of their sport back interested. If a skate park were to some how open next year in Kilkenny in 5 years time I can guarantee you the scence would have expanded 4 if not 6 fold. It's a healthy hobby and would see young people invest time and energy on some thing positive.

How do we reach this goal is a tough question indeed but without sounding ratty, all of this misguided hatred toward some thing you all know so little about is beyond irritating. It might not be GAA, or Soccer, but skating (rollerblading, skateboarding, BMX) has a massive world wide following and I just don't see why Kilkenny seems to want to stay in the dark ages and not facilitate for it's teens/young adults.

I've not ever had any involvement in Kilkenny360s project but I can tell you it's bound to me more worth while and healthy than nurturing the couch potato lifestyle most of us have become accustomed to.

I do agree that it's not going to happen over night, especially not now in the recessionary times, but lets at least encourage the discussion and see if we really can take a step forward into the light for our future generations.Not just in Skating but as some one mentioned before, in many more sporting departments.

well said Cabaal!!!
    Typical negative diatribe, just what Kilkenny needs right now.

I'm very sorry you find an actual logical response to your pie in the sky responses negative....but then sometimes logic can be upsetting for some people.
    but such an old persons outlook, if people such as you and the person who runs with the hare and hunts with the hounds put some effort in for the youngster's we might actually achieve something.

Old, oh how you make me laugh :D

Again your suggesting I put forward a workable solution, can we see your workable solution....perhaps something actually thought out. Do I have to ask a third time?
    I will ask where are these youngster's going to get the money from, you might have an idea, and does everything have to have a profit margin.

Teenagers get money from parents or any part time jobs they may get involved in or start themselves...sure as kids we may not have enjoyed doing odd jobs to make extra money but it worked :)

I didn't say everything had to have a profit margin, I merely pointed out the massive hole in your suggestion that a skate park is somehow better then a cafe in the castle park...your the one that mentioned money.
    Given we will be paying rates or some kind of property tax do we not get a say for our children, or do we bow to the almighty tourist who doesn't care what there is for the younger generation to do when they have gone.

Like it or lump it tourists bring money into the city and county, whilst you may for some weird reason find this upsetting it is a actual fact.

Pull all tourism out of Kilkenny city and county in the morning and watch as jobs go and the community gets hit even harder then it is now. As such its important that we pay attention to services and parts of the city that will bring tourists to the area.
    Most of us forget what it was like when we were young, <SNIP>
    These youngsters need your help, yes you, not to be continually condemmed.

You might but I certainly don't forget, depending on how you were brought up you may expect everything to be handed to you or...at the very least you may have been expected to have put in some work before you got what you wanted.

No one is condemning them, but they must take responsibilities for destruction they have caused within the city (this is part of growing up) and in addition if THEY want something then THEY need to step up to the plate and show they are serious....I see no actual proof of this yet.

If this means that the have funds to put towards the skate park then the council will take them more seriously, I'm talking from experience in relation to community services getting off the ground.

So lets say as a very very simple example during the past 20 years instead of moaning about a lack of a skate park at a min they raised 1,000e a year from fund raising....between money collections and different types of events that is perfectly doable.

They'd have at the min 20k to approach the council with to put towards the creation of a skate park. Council would likely alot some land and all going well you'll get a park.
    The council built a lovely car park for it's staff, did they contribute, is there a profit from having such a park?
    Go up the Hebron, the government offices have again fine parking facilities, no profit motive.

More nonsense foxcoverteddy,

There's a return on the parking in the form of cars are not parked on the street and staff and people visiting the offices have somewhere to park.

Oh and not to mentioned the driving test centre has parking too...which as I'm sure you'll agree is extremely important.

Your making comparisons to an actual required government building when compared to a non essential, non-mission critical skate park, such nonsense.
    Look at the spare ground at Loughboy by the hotel, skatepark site, why not, perhaps we might get a Supermac as well.
    Come on Cabaal use that ability to help the youngsters.

Ah good old foxcoverteddy, you've proven that your just full of hot air.

I've asked for a workable solution from you and all your suggesting is pie in the sky stuff again with no proper thought out plan, you just want a complete hand out again.

You've not used your amazing ability to complain about roads, parking, footpaths, cafes etc to come up with an idea to save the generation you are so worried about.

I also find it amusing that in the same thread that you've said we should get sporting area's (skate park, bmx area and cycling velodrome) you've also suggested we need yet another fast foot outlet....somewhat comcerning but sure thats another issue for the generation you are so worried about and really needs its own thread.

• Advertisement

Davaeo09 wrote: »
    A proper skate park, indoor and built for public use (minimal fee of some sort) it would get allot of the older people who have faded out of their sport back interested.

Ok, lets look at this,
    Lets take an example of a larger city with a bigger population,
    Say Waterford, Waterford CoCo built a skatepark on the Cork road and nobody used it and so destruction to the millennium plaza continued.

the council later redid the People's park and setup another larger skatepark, now from what I'm aware the second park at more imput from the teenagers in the area.

Given we're talking about a larger pop and its still outdoor I'd say we can safely say that building a indoor park in Kilkenny is very unlikely to happen...for starters it massively increases the building and running costs.
    If a skate park were to some how open next year in Kilkenny in 5 years time I can guarantee you the scence would have expanded 4 if not 6 fold. It's a healthy hobby and would see young people invest time and energy on some thing positive.

It is a healthy hobby and thats great and hell if it stops kids from smoking or drinking then thats great too.

My concern here is your saying usage will increase but its all fine and well saying that to the council but its meaningless....you need stuff to back up such claims. Facts, figures, examples of similar situations in similar types of towns/citys.

Think of the bigger picture, just how many pipe dream ideas and improvements do you think people approach the council with each year claiming this and that?

The council will eventually build something but there needs to be proof that it'll be used, I'd imagine one of their biggest concerns is if they spend say 60k building a park out in loughboy like suggested above then the teenagers will continue to skate in the city centre because the park isn't central enough for them.

But again I suppose another thing is will it be used?, if the council see the kids actually taking action and raised money towards it then this shows them that they are more serious about the whole thing.

At the same time although you could suggest the castle park, this comes under the remit of the OPW and they and far more restrictive about change then any county council will be, you also have to remember the castle park has opening hours.
    How do we reach this goal is a tough question indeed but without sounding ratty, all of this misguided hatred toward some thing you all know so little about is beyond irritating.

Alot of the hatred against skateborders comes from destruction of property, this pisses the average joe off and it pisses the council off. The fact signs are often vandalized or simply ignored by skateborders pisses people off even more.

Its a complete disregard for the rules/laws, so people think why should we even bother helping this shower?

Abit if a silly example but think about it for a min.
    If I was into say....er..volleyball and Kilkenny had no volleyball court do you think it would be ok and more importantly safe for me to try do my sport within a few metres of traffic?

All the time my excuse being that there's no area for me to do it, do you think people would accept this excuse especially if I continued to be a inconvenience to people.
    It might not be GAA, or Soccer, but skating (rollerblading, skateboarding, BMX) has a massive world wide following and I just don't see why Kilkenny seems to want to stay in the dark ages and not facilitate for it's teens/young adults.

It may have a big following world wide but this is still a small following world wide compared to many other sports and often funding will go with demand.

Take cycling, far far more popular sport both worldwide and even locally with far more clubs up and down the country. Do you think Ireland has a proper modern indoor velodrome....nope. We only have outdoor to the best of my knowledge.

As popular as cycling is its no where near as popular as football or GAA, I mean how often do you see RTE report on cycling when it isn't the tour de france?

BMX'ing and skateboarding are a niche sport in comparisons, so expecting a fancy indoor area for it when its a niche sport is really hoping for an awful lot.
    I've not ever had any involvement in Kilkenny360s project but I can tell you it's bound to me more worth while and healthy than nurturing the couch potato lifestyle most of us have become accustomed to.

We certainly do want to encourage people to get out and about both as adults and as kids, personally I think its refreshing to see more sports pop up in more recent years that are not GAA or football. Its a shame these really are the only sports covered in alot of schools.
    I do agree that it's not going to happen over night, especially not now in the recessionary times, but lets at least encourage the discussion and see if we really can take a step forward into the light for our future generations.Not just in Skating but as some one mentioned before, in many more sporting departments.

If there was a really good chance of this happening it would have been between 2001-2007 as long as whoever was pushing for it was well organised and it doesn't appear they were.

Its something that could be worked on but putting a few videos/photos together of people just taking part in the sport isn't enough, there needs to be facts and figures to backup everything as part of any proposal for the park.

Advertisement