Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Building a Shed

Options
  • 22-07-2012 11:51pm
    Registered Users Posts: 2,591 ✭✭✭

Hi everyone

Hope I'm in the right place. I'm a new home owner and very keen to get stuck into a bit of DIY. To that end, I'd like to build a shed. Quite a big shed actually - I want to accommodate a workshop, garden storage, and a spot for planting/gardening jobs. Oh, I've no experience whatsoever with carpentry of any sort.

So can anyone recommend a good course to go on? What would be the recommended reading? Where could I get designs? I'd really love to learn how to do this stuff as there are another few projects in the house that I would love to tackle - alcoves, bookcases and utility room.

Thanks everyone.

G

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 4,255 ✭✭✭tommy2bad

Good man, start big, you can get to the little jobs later :D.
    I'll post what ideas I have later when I'v googled some pics to give you ideas.
    For now, what skils do you have, how much space do you have, how much money do you have?
    All important parts of the plan.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,591 ✭✭✭karlitob

tommy2bad wrote: »
    Good man, start big, you can get to the little jobs later :D.
    I'll post what ideas I have later when I'v googled some pics to give you ideas.
    For now, what skils do you have, how much space do you have, how much money do you have?
    All important parts of the plan.

Thanks for the reply.

In my head, it goes like this.
    The garden is huge. And I have a lifetime of enjoyable work to do in the garden. I want to pull up trees, redesign the space, build arbours, build/assemble painted fencing/trellis etc etc.

The first thing to do is my garden design - I need to know now what I want and where and at least then I can do each part bit by bit as money and time allow.

The second thing I thought I needed is to put in a shed - I know where that is gonna go in the plan but I also want it to be apart of the design of the garden - not simply put out in the back and try to hide it but I want to provide a nice backdrop to the garden.

An idea of what my taste is should hopefully be apparent in the links:
    http://www.gardentrellis.co.uk/products-avenue-panels.php
    http://www.gardentrellis.co.uk/products-traditional-planters.php
    http://www.gardentrellis.co.uk/products-gates.php
    http://www.gardentrellis.co.uk/products-bin-recycling-stores.php

Space - tonnes - I haven't measured accurately yet but its at least 400sqm
    Money - not be glib but if I need it I'll find it. I want this to be done right but I want to do it myself. Not just pay someone to do it. If I want it done right then I'm happy to pay for it but I'll just save until I get the money.
    Skills - strong hands, plenty of enthusiasm, a bit of an animal in a ruck (and a maul to be fair to me), and an unfounded confidence in my ability to do something that I've never done before. I like to think I have great attention to detail, am accurate and specific and can work through problems logically. I really feel if I have plans, a reference (and a lot of help) - I could manage it.

I was thinking of:
    http://plansshed.com/wp-content/uploads/2009/11/saltboxshedsmall.jpg (a larger version at least but I dont quite like it)

http://www.shedssevenoaks.co.uk/images/sheds/sheds-sevenoaks-74.jpg (maybe - I like the double doors)

http://beststorageshedplans.net/wp-content/uploads/2011/03/gable-shed-plans.jpg (again - maybe)

Thanks again - I'd be grateful of any help or advice on designs and education (reading, courses and practice)

G

• Registered Users Posts: 2,804 ✭✭✭recipio

As you are starting from scratch you shouldn't make the same mistakes as most of us mere mortals. ;) The following is my 'wish I had done this' list.
    1. Separate the Garden/storage/workshop areas.
    2. Try for a two storey/attic constuction - you can never have enough storage.
    3.Insulate to the highest standards. Its very frustrating not being able to use it in winter.
    4.Double doors to the storage area are great to avoid manhauling timber through a workshop.
    5.Workshops are a mixture of static machines in the centre and bench machines/tools around the periphery. A square workshop is the optimum shape IMHO.
    Have a look at www.finewoodworking.com and www.finehomebuilding.com for loads of potential workshops. As a beginner I'd try and get a set of plans to avoid design mistakes. After that its a few basic tools and go for it !

Hey guys,

Thanks very much for the advice and support. I thought I would be told that its a job for professionals and not to bother.

Any other advice, designs etc that you can suggest, I would be much obliged.

Thanks

G

• Registered Users Posts: 1,464 ✭✭✭Double Barrel

Hi G
    Are you thinking of building on:
    1. a concrete pad (slab on grade)
    2. a footing & pier (block or concrete) foundation
    3. or a footing and block or concrete knee wall type foundation??

• Advertisement
  • Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 15,858 ✭✭✭✭paddy147

karlitob wrote: »
    Hey guys,

Thanks very much for the advice and support. I thought I would be told that its a job for professionals and not to bother.

Any other advice, designs etc that you can suggest, I would be much obliged.

Thanks

G

What about a Metal pre fab shed or even a block built shed??

Both can be had these days for not too much euros.;):)

paddy147 wrote: »

Now that looks promising.!
    Forget metal sheds - you will freeze in the winter and your tools will rust nicely.
    My biggest regret was not putting in an attic. Double the floor space for not much more outlay. Planning permission will be needed for anything over 4 meters.
    For ideas have a look at 'The Workshop Book' by Scott Landis. Very American obviously but full of ideas.

Hadn't thought about block built really - it looks great. I am thinking of a formal enough garden, and just assumed that the wooden shed or part-red brick built shed (similar to a greenhouse) would be very nice. But I could put all sorts of finishes on the block built I presume.

Was planning permission difficult to get? Is this something that an amateur could handle?

Paddy - you're some man for the pics of your house!

Hi G
    Are you thinking of building on:
    1. a concrete pad (slab on grade)
    2. a footing & pier (block or concrete) foundation
    3. or a footing and block or concrete knee wall type foundation??

Hi Double Barrel

These are the questions that I want you guys to help me with!!

I don't want a flimsy floor. I don't want to worry about damp or any sinking. I want it to be solid. What are the different advantages of the above systems.

The following links are similar to what I would like the garage to look like. PArt-brick built red brick, finished in a painted wood - panelled, with a nice roof and overhang.

I think it would fit the proposed style of the garden very well.

Thanks for your post.

http://www.ab-timber-products.co.uk/images/edwardian_greenhouses_sheffield.jpg

http://www.whitecottage.co.uk/uploads/image/Smaller_Croft.jpg

Hadn't thought about block built really - it looks great. I am thinking of a formal enough garden, and just assumed that the wooden shed or part-red brick built shed (similar to a greenhouse) would be very nice. But I could put all sorts of finishes on the block built I presume.

Was planning permission difficult to get? Is this something that an amateur could handle?

Paddy - you're some man for the pics of your house!

For a block built shed,then it cant be any bigger than 25 square meters in size.

Anything over that size needs planning permission.

There must also be a minimum of 25 square meters of private/leisure space between the back of the house and the propopsed site of the shed/garage in the back garden.

You can also build a shed/garage to a max height of 4.5 meters,with a pitched slated roof.

Anything higher than that needs planning permission.

It was all part of a big house build and rennovation project.:)

Had a very good architect and structural engineer onboard and had my planning permission approved 1st time around in 6-7 weeks (thank god).:D

The garage is wired with its own IP Rated fuse board,wired from the house fuseboard with 3 core 10 square SWA.

The garage has 5 double sockets,2 lights,leccy roller shutter door,alarm system and its plumbed with mains water.

Also decided to install 2 co-ax cables for a TV/Satelite/Saorview and also 2 outdoor Cat5E Data cables for security camera and a phone line.

Oh,and you know me for the pictures.;)

• Advertisement

;) There's nothing wrong with woodframe construction except it doesn't quite give the security of block wall.
    Lastly, I always feel a master isolator switch at the door is worth having for peace of mind.

recipio wrote: »
    ;) There's nothing wrong with woodframe construction except it doesn't quite give the security of block wall.
    Lastly, I always feel a master isolator switch at the door is worth having for peace of mind.

Hense a shed/garage being supplied from the house with SWA cable (Steel Wire Amour),and fitted with an "IP Rated" Consumer/Fuse Board and also a mains 63 amp circuit breaker/RCBO,beside the door.;)

Hi G.

If the primary purpose of this building is to be a gardening shed - part hot house, potting & repotting plants etc.- plus tool storage - and hopefully some room left over for a workshop :D - then a concrete pad with a brick knee-wall may be the way forward.
    I would install a sink and a floor drain at the nursery end just for convenience. Try :D and keep the garden tools & implements in a separate section. The workshop will never have enough sockets, so plan accordingly.

My sister enjoys gardening and coaxed her husband into building this addition to his workshop. It is built mostly with recycled windows, plate glass and French doors.

3871662355ef6fcdfcdb.jpg

This might be closer to what you are thinking about.

2969599344222566cd60b.jpg

Hi G.

If the primary purpose of this building is to be a gardening shed - part hot house, potting & repotting plants etc.- plus tool storage - and hopefully some room left over for a workshop :D - then a concrete pad with a brick knee-wall may be the way forward.
    I would install a sink and a floor drain at the nursery end just for convenience. Try :D and keep the garden tools & implements in a separate section. The workshop will never have enough sockets, so plan accordingly.

My sister enjoys gardening and coaxed her husband into building this addition to his workshop. It is built mostly with recycled windows, plate glass and French doors.

3871662355ef6fcdfcdb.jpg

This might be closer to what you are thinking about.

2969599344222566cd60b.jpg

Hi Thanks very much for advice and the pics. Love the glass extension and youre right - I really like the second photo - now...any idea where I can get plans for something like that.

Thanks again

G
    If you supply dimensions someone with a CAD program may be able come up with some plans.

• Registered Users Posts: 476 ✭✭Carra23

Paddy what size is that workshop in the pics ? Would love one out my back approx 12ft x 20ft. Any idea what you would need to spend to get one like yours at dimensions mentioned ?

Cheers

• Registered Users Posts: 507 ✭✭✭Tedious Bore

Hi everyone

Hope I'm in the right place. I'm a new home owner and very keen to get stuck into a bit of DIY. To that end, I'd like to build a shed. Quite a big shed actually - I want to accommodate a workshop, garden storage, and a spot for planting/gardening jobs. Oh, I've no experience whatsoever with carpentry of any sort.

So can anyone recommend a good course to go on? What would be the recommended reading? Where could I get designs? I'd really love to learn how to do this stuff as there are another few projects in the house that I would love to tackle - alcoves, bookcases and utility room.

Thanks everyone.

G

http://www.mudandwood.com/4-day-timber-frame-cabin-course.html

Advertisement