Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Getting a Dog from the pound

• 23-07-2012 12:04am
    Registered Users Posts: 4

Hi,
    I was wondering if anyone had any experIence with getting a dog from the pound. The costs and precedures involved ect. I would really appreciate any help u can give me. Thanks so much for your time.:)

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 481 ✭✭Sarah Bear

you would have to give him a good drying off!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,003 ✭✭✭SillyMangoX

You may want to dry it off :P

Seriously though, as far as I know you have to get a dog licence and then pay what ever the release fee for that dog is (well thats the way it was when we got our dog 15 years ago). I'd advise you to then bring the dog up to the vets, get them wormed, vaccinated and de flead as you don't know what kind of history it has in that regard, and be careful because sometimes dogs from the pound may be incubating parvo or kennel cough (not always the case, but just be aware of the symptoms of these as a precaution). A lot of pounds update facebook pages with pictures of the dogs available for re-homing, or failing that you should be able to go in and pick one out. Often times you will come out with the exact opposite of what you had in mind for getting - they kind of pick you in a way! After a good check out from the vet then I would advise you to lavish the lucky pupster with love and attention and be proud of yourself for saving a life :)

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,007 ✭✭✭Dodd

I put a dog I found in the pound and a few days later they said it would not be rehomed and would be PTS.
    All I needed to get it back out of there was to get a dog license for the dog.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,596 ✭✭✭anniehoo

My advice is to take your time. Pounds are very emotional places to go to and you need to be prepared. Do your research, ask questions and DONT "impulse rescue" as much as you may want to.

It's such a brilliant thing that you want to rescue a dog, but remember that you have no idea of the history of the dogs in there and the pound staff will only be able to guide you on what they've seen from them, which in some cases are the complete opposite of what they're really like. A scared,timid, nervy dog in the pound can be a loving,loyal, playful and gentle dog in the right environment.

You may think you have an idea of what you would like but judge each dog as best you can within reason (forget appearance if possible).Pound dogs can be dirty,smelly,unkempt,afraid and a far cry from what they would be like in real life.

I take photos in a well known pound for a well known dog charitys website and it never ceases to amaze me everytime i go in how different the dogs react. Dont just walk by a kennel, look at a dog and write it off as a no go. Im always amazed at the difference a dog is before i go into the kennel and after meeting them. Although im not sure many pounds, for legal reasons will let you "meet and greet". Always ask though.

Am i going to say rescuing a pound dog is the best thing you'll ever do and it'll happy ever after? No! Of course not.I've seen numerous dogs resurrendered because they made the wrong choice.But, what i have seen of people who have is, they've taken their time,trusted their instinct, had their wits about them when going there and didnt settle for the first dog they felt sorry for.

When you find "the one"....it will then be the best decision you ever make ;)

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 294 ✭✭cjf

I foster dogs for a rescue from the pound and I have never had one who didn't go on to be rehomed and are now living the life they should have had from the start.

The first few weeks require a little bit of work as most are stinky and can have kennel cough/worms/fleas but these are all quickly treated (and won't break the bank!) some can often have upset tummys and can be a little bit shell shocked by all the upheaval but after a good scrub (and often a little DIY grooming session) you begin to see them settle and relax and the next few weeks are amazing watching their personalities begin to shine through. Sometimes you catch glimpses of what may have happened in their past - I remember one who hid under my shed for 4 hours the first time I picked up the brush to sweep the floor :-(

The pound dogs just need time and what you put in you get back tenfold. The attachment they form is unreal it's almost as though they know you saved them. I'm heartbroken when one of my charges heads off to their new home but I can't be sad for long as sadly I know there is another in need who needs the chance to live.

There can be the misconception that there is something wrong with pound dogs but in my experience iv never had one who after a little tlc didn't go on to make a fantastic addition to a family. I always think the pound is full of other peoples messes and one persons trash is another persons treasure!

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 4 Carrickettle girl

Thank you for that, very helpful. Thank you for taking the time to realy, app it.:)

• Registered Users Posts: 11 Tawneyowl

We have just rescued a one year old crossbread fom a rescue centre. They will do a home check to see if we suit the dog we have choosen and all going well our new addition will move in. The charge is€120, he is neutered, deflead, all shots given, wormed and microchipped. Don't know how they manage on 120!
    So hopefully all will work out! There are so many sad stories on the rescue sites, I could have rescued loads....good luck with your search.:)

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 8,083 ✭✭✭BeepBeep67

Any recommendations for a dog pound, living in Wicklow town and looking for a family pet?

Thanks in advance

• Closed Accounts Posts: 485 ✭✭Mo60

BeepBeep67 wrote: »
    Any recommendations for a dog pound, living in Wicklow town and looking for a family pet?

Thanks in advance

I got my last dog from Dunboyne pound, which takes in dogs from South Dublin. If you google Dunboyne pound you will find the rescue that deals with them and posts up pictures.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,317 ✭✭✭gavmcg92

I'm not sure if, for legal reasons, we are allowed to mention specific dog pounds. However I got a dog from a well known rescue centre in Dublin.
    We went up on a Wednesday, had a long hard look at all the dogs available and picked out one that we all seemed to have a connection with. A beautiful Labrador Boxer cross.
    This particular shelter made sure we brought her out for a quick walk and we were then given 30 minutes alone with her in their private meet and greet room.
    Overall the cost was 165 euro. She was neutered and micro-chipped. We were also given free vet check ups for 3 weeks just so they could keep an eye on her and make sure she was settling well.
    You really notice after a week or so that they have settled in.

Go in to a couple of centres and take a look around. Make sure you get that connection before you go ahead with anything. You'll know when you find a dog that's right for you.

Here's ours :) She's one today!

img3526n.jpg

Uploaded with ImageShack.us

(This was a picture we took 30minutes after she arrived home :) )

• Advertisement
Advertisement