Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Exterior House - Finish

• 23-07-2012 12:11am
    Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,591 ✭✭✭

Hi all,

Would like to get your advice on our back wall. We are about to paint it but the wall does not have a perfectly smooth finish - I know I'm being picky with the finish but I just want it right. If I painted over the wall now you could see the inaccuracies in the wall. I had thought that it would need a skim of sand/cement or plaster. But a plasterer I know said that I would just need to fill spots with sand and cement and then sand down with sandpaper and it will be fine. Any thoughts?

There are a few spots where you can see the line of paint from the coat below the top coat and he suggested a very wet mixture of sand/cement to smooth that out. Any thoughts?

Lastly, I'm thinking of getting exterior moulding for the ledge to finish the look - something simple - any suggestions.

Thanks

G

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,167 ✭✭✭TopTec

I don't think you will get a nice smooth, blemish free finish without re-rendering the wall. Sand/cement as a filler is ok in deep holes but is useless to try to smooth a wall with it - it will just brush off.

Looking at your pics my choice would be to fill the deeper areas with an exterior filler which you can get from any builders store, I use One Strike, and then use a thick exterior textured paint which should cover up all the imperfections you have.

An outside choice is a pebble-dash/Tyrolean finish which will cover up all the problems you have and can then be painted with a smooth masonary paint like Colourtrend or Weathershield. It will need the pipework masking off though and can be applied as a DIYer but needs a little practice.

TT

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,591 ✭✭✭karlitob

TopTec wrote: »
    I don't think you will get a nice smooth, blemish free finish without re-rendering the wall. Sand/cement as a filler is ok in deep holes but is useless to try to smooth a wall with it - it will just brush off.

Looking at your pics my choice would be to fill the deeper areas with an exterior filler which you can get from any builders store, I use One Strike, and then use a thick exterior textured paint which should cover up all the imperfections you have.

An outside choice is a pebble-dash/Tyrolean finish which will cover up all the problems you have and can then be painted with a smooth masonary paint like Colourtrend or Weathershield. It will need the pipework masking off though and can be applied as a DIYer but needs a little practice.

TT

Hey TT,

Thanks for the reply and advice. Can I just confirm with you, you reckon either exterior filler and thick paint OR tyrolean finish OR re-render?

If its a rerender, whats a ball park figure for one side of bottom half of a house 2m tall by 15 metres, I suppose.

Thanks

Any more thoughts on this guys?

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 15,858 ✭✭✭✭paddy147

You could patch it up,but it will probably show through,even when painted over.

But it will be alot better than what the pics currently show.

Make sure theres waterproofer mixed into the plaster/render aswell

paddy147 wrote: »
    You could patch it up,but it will probably show through,even when painted over.

But it will be alot better than what the pics currently show.

Make sure theres waterproofer mixed into the plaster/render aswell

Thanks Paddy - I think I'll render it completely. Whats waterproofer ie I know what it implies but is it not something that goes into all render.

Whats the ball park for getting this done. Its the bottom half on the back side of the house only.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,167 ✭✭✭TopTec

karlitob wrote: »
    Whats the ball park for getting this done. Its the bottom half on the back side of the house only.

This depends on what you want done, stripped and rendered, just rendered, any angles, obstructions, masking off. Also where you are will change the price - In Dublin will be completely different to here out West. Will you pay a day rate or just for the job?

Just get a quote from a local fella.

Waterproofer is exactly that, frequently PVA is used, and gives the render a measure of water repellance.

TT

Advertisement