Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Recommendations for Reading Material

• 23-07-2012 12:55am
    Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 881 ✭✭✭

Hi all,

So here's my story, back when I was a young fella and Jurassic park had just come out my interest in Dinosaurs really peaked. I collected every one of the Dinosaurs magazines and really enjoyed them but due to a lack of resources back then I lost interest in all things prehistoric.

Now that I'm in my mid twenties and have access to an entire web of books and encyclopedias I really want to get back into it, I'm not looking to be an expert on the subject, all I want is to be able to increase my own knowledge of the prehistoric animals that came before us.

So has anyone any suggestions on where is a good place to start? You can treat me like a complete beginner because most of what i learnt years ago is long forgotten, for some reason the Crystal Palace Dinosaurs and the fire seem to be the only thing that really stuck in my mind!!

Thanks.

EDIT: Just to clarify I've seen the useful resources thread but I'd prefer books as opposed to websites and I'm hoping to start with the very basics first before jumping into the deep end.

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 30,746 ✭✭✭✭Galvasean

Hi. And welcome to the forum :)
    There's a recommended reading thread too. There are some really good books in there. Some of them may be out of print mind you, but can be got online via Amazon etc.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 881 ✭✭✭Bloodwing

Galvasean wrote: »
    Hi. And welcome to the forum :)
    There's a recommended reading thread too. There are some really good books in there. Some of them may be out of print mind you, but can be got online via Amazon etc.

Guess I didn't search hard enough so!! Sorry about that. I just ordered a few.

Walking with Dinosaurs: the Facts. (Going to watch the show on UPC on Demand)

Dinosaur by Stephaine Stansbie.

World Encyclopedia of Dinosaurs....

You might see me get more involved around here if i feel i can contribute something of use!

Thanks a million.

Neilos wrote: »
    You might see me get more involved around here if i feel i can contribute something of use!

It's a great way to learn. Searching the names of various animals is a good way to find topics about them. I also like to tag threads a lot to make it easier to find related topics.
    Feel free to ask away with questions in relevant threads or simply starting new ones. We have a small but very dedicated core of users who will be happy to help out with whatever they can.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,279 ✭✭✭Adam Khor

Neilos wrote: »
    Guess I didn't search hard enough so!! Sorry about that. I just ordered a few.

Walking with Dinosaurs: the Facts. (Going to watch the show on UPC on Demand)

Hi man!

Just a quick warning; the Walking with Dinosaurs show was awesome and we all love it, but today it is kinda outdated. I don´t know if the book you ordered is recent or rather a tie-in but I'm guessing its the second due to the title.
    I have a WWD book and even though it's an awesome book, take everything they say with a grain of salt. The polar allosaur was thought to be a polar allosaur back then; now we know it's probably a megaraptoran. They talk about 12 meter wingspan for Ornithocheirus, but there's no actual proof Ornithocheirus itself reached that size; same goes for Liopleurodon.
    Best you can do is read other, more recent sources as well.

On the other hand, if you're into bizarre flights of fancy with a basis on reality, I recommend Henry Gee's A Field Guide to Dinosaurs which is an awesome creative work, not to be taken too seriously. ;)

Walking With Dinosaurs: The Facts pretty much tears the series a new one in terms of accuracy. It outlines all the bits the show got wrong (Postosuchus' peeing habits, various animal sizes etc.).

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,279 ✭✭✭Adam Khor

Galvasean wrote: »
    Walking With Dinosaurs: The Facts pretty much tears the series a new one in terms of accuracy. It outlines all the bits the show got wrong (Postosuchus' peeing habits, various animal sizes etc.).

Oh thats good to know. Ignore me then :pac:

Advertisement