Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

TV3 Psychics Live *****VICTORY THREAD******

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 14,009 ✭✭✭✭wnolan1992

IceFjoem wrote: »
    Not sure if I read your post correctly, but just to play devil's advocate here, what part of 'higher ratings' would get the show removed?

A legitimate question, and one which I will try to answer, but will just preface it by saying I only speak for myself, and not any of the others on the thread, since I'm a relatively new viewer compared to them.

It is my understanding that ratings don't make a difference here. TV3 don't sell advertising during it, they sell the broadcasting time to PRL. PRL's soul source of revenue appears to be the callers, so watching the show contributes nothing to them. (Perfectly willing to be corrected on this.)

By watching it, we can pick out the breaches of the BAI's Commercial Communications Code (of which there have been a staggeringly large amount). It forces to the BAI and TV3 to try and ensure that Telemedia are abiding by the rules.

Even in the short month that I've been watching the show, the changes have been drastic. Last night for example, Flathan threw a hissy fit because the rules of the show were "too strict", even though the same rules have been in place from the start. The difference now is that complaints submitted to the BAI are nearing the end of the investigation period, so PRL have to try and clean up their act quickly.

When I started watching, Flathan NEVER said his readings were only his opinion (something which he is required to do under the code), and last night he said it was only his opinion during EVERY reading. I would find it hard to believe that this is not as a direct result of the complaints that have been lodged against the show. He also said that he "could not predict the future" on numerous occasions last night, something which he has never done before.

I wouldn't have a problem with the show if it weren't for the fact that they, in my opinion, exploit vulnerable people. People have rang in clearly distressed and upset, and have just been fobbed off with a two word answer. People have been given readings regarding health issues, their marriages breaking up, the list goes on and on.

Even if the show is never cancelled, at least we can ensure that they aren't giving out irresponsible readings, such as telling the person who rang in about IVF that she would conceive twins on her first attempt, or telling a woman that her husband was cheating on her for definite.

All that said, everyone has to make up their own minds whether they think this sort of programme should be on air. Neither I nor anyone else can, or should, make that decision for anyone.

And that concludes the sermon. You may go in peace. :pac:

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 399 ✭✭IceFjoem

wnolan1992 wrote: »
    A legitimate question, and one which I will try to answer, but will just preface it by saying I only speak for myself, and not any of the others on the thread, since I'm a relatively new viewer compared to them.

It is my understanding that ratings don't make a difference here. TV3 don't sell advertising during it, they sell the broadcasting time to PRL. PRL's soul source of revenue appears to be the callers, so watching the show contributes nothing to them. (Perfectly willing to be corrected on this.)

By watching it, we can pick out the breaches of the BAI's Commercial Communications Code (of which there have been a staggeringly large amount). It forces to the BAI and TV3 to try and ensure that Telemedia are abiding by the rules.

Even in the short month that I've been watching the show, the changes have been drastic. Last night for example, Flathan threw a hissy fit because the rules of the show were "too strict", even though the same rules have been in place from the start. The difference now is that complaints submitted to the BAI are nearing the end of the investigation period, so PRL have to try and clean up their act quickly.

When I started watching, Flathan NEVER said his readings were only his opinion (something which he is required to do under the code), and last night he said it was only his opinion during EVERY reading. I would find it hard to believe that this is not as a direct result of the complaints that have been lodged against the show. He also said that he "could not predict the future" on numerous occasions last night, something which he has never done before.

I wouldn't have a problem with the show if it weren't for the fact that they, in my opinion, exploit vulnerable people. People have rang in clearly distressed and upset, and have just been fobbed off with a two word answer. People have been given readings regarding health issues, their marriages breaking up, the list goes on and on.

Even if the show is never cancelled, at least we can ensure that they aren't giving out irresponsible readings, such as telling the person who rang in about IVF that she would conceive twins on her first attempt, or telling a woman that her husband was cheating on her for definite.

All that said, everyone has to make up their own minds whether they think this sort of programme should be on air. Neither I nor anyone else can, or should, make that decision for anyone.

Wow, I really couldn't have asked for more in terms of an explanation, thank you!
    It is pretty appalling that the show so shamelessly takes advantage of people. While it's clearly the fault of the callers who allow themselves to fall prey to shows like this, I do have major respect for your stewardship of the vulnerable!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 9,965 ✭✭✭spookwoman

If psychics were legit wouldn't they be hired by government, police etc instead of being laughed at and seen as something dubious by the majority of the public.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 399 ✭✭IceFjoem

spookwoman wrote: »
    If psychics were legit wouldn't they be hired by government, police etc instead of being laughed at and seen as something dubious by the majority of the public.

*These are not the institutions you're looking for.*

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,992 ✭✭✭flutegirl

IceFjoem wrote: »
    I don''t mean to be rude, but what's the appeal of this show?
    Good question!

^ Very good post.

As entertaining as I find Flathan (and I do) it's the context with which he works in that I struggle with, especially when you hear the same people ringing in 2,3, 4 times a night, and the cost and duration of the calls. If there are problems with the phones callers are not phoned back, which they should be. PRL could have a completely different format, more user friendly for people calling in, and still generate same profits, making it a credible show. I'm sure this could be achieved.

• Advertisement

Waynes twitter spamming again

You could make me happy by f*cking off Wayne. :pac:

I kid, I kid.

Was thinking more like the iq of the caller.

Level of happiness with the presenter: 0 / 10

hate these calls.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 3,282 ✭✭✭BMollie

Alison should be ringing the AWARE phoneline...she sounds very sad

BMollie wrote: »
    Alison should be ringing the AWARE phoneline...she sounds very sad

callers like that are supposed to be given numbers like that but from the email from tv3 they are only given the number after the call. Most callers hang up straight away

• Subscribers Posts: 2,670 ✭✭✭.BrianJM

Level of happiness with the presenter: 0 / 10

As much as that??

hey guys im back for only night until 28th of spetember family going on hoildays again for 2 and half weeks miss me . what did i miss

hey guys im back for only night until 28th of spetember family going on hoildays again for 2 and half weeks miss me . what did i miss

Flathan throwing the toys out of the pram and vowing never to return because the BAI have started doing their job.

He's all hands tonight:

David-Brent.jpg

Flathan throwing the toys out of the pram and vowing never to return because the BAI have started doing their job.

really :D are you for real is there a video of this

It's private

wtf is up with the circus music is the joker about

"You can't all smile at once"

We will all here when the show is taken off the air

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,449 ✭✭✭artful_codger

This is evn dumber than George Hooks hapiness index.

did you guys get anywhere getting this show of the air

the next time he says what is your level of happiness i gonna shout out its over 9000

• Closed Accounts Posts: 29,476 ✭✭✭✭Our man in Havana

did you guys get anywhere getting this show of the air
    Patience Grasshopper, patience.

Patience Grasshopper, patience.

:o my bad

i havent been here inawhile so i did not know

They still havent sorted out the time on the ticker 02.07

Ticker: "Getting through to the studio is not guaranteed."

Wayne and other Psychics: "Call me now and you're guaranteed to get on!"

Hmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmm..........

In my opinion I don't think he's mentioned (1) This is an entertainment service (2) the cost per min, a single time. Flathan mentioned this repeatedly last night.

spookwoman wrote: »
    They still havent sorted out the time on the ticker 02.07

I noticed. Maybe be a trainee production team on for weekend.

• Advertisement

whats up with the tags croatian man love ? vot vonderful tags will lazarus return lol

This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement