Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

TV3 Psychics Live *****VICTORY THREAD******

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 49,731 ✭✭✭✭coolhull

Aaaah, a plant, I think,too pleasant and agreeable

Ok, Flats, I am 'conwinced' thats I've had enough of you for tonight. Thank you wery much, bye-bye

G'night all

• Registered Users Posts: 9,938 ✭✭✭spookwoman

Just switched over for a sec and he said he has never spoken about health issues. Boll*x! One of his readings was upheld by the BAI about a pregnancy call and pregnancy is a health issue.

• Registered Users Posts: 169 ✭✭Orielle

Oops...He almost slipped up there with that lady and her ill sister...

Can't sleep was lurking. When will I be a grandmother? Sound a lot like this

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 169 ✭✭Orielle

He seems to have saved himself, by giving an 18 month time period...Therefore nobody could be pregnant at this moment:
    He asked the producer about it, and seems to have gotten the go-ahead!

• Subscribers Posts: 2,670 ✭✭✭.BrianJM

http://www.bai.ie/wordpress/wp-content/uploads/Broadcasting-Complaints-Decisions-November-2012.pdf

Upheld by BAI Compliance Committee

TV3 – Psychic Readings Live:23rd June 2012

TV3 – Psychic Readings Live:30th July 2012

TV3 – Psychic Readings Live:11th August 2012

TV3 – Psychic Readings Live:27th August 2012

Full details on the Broadcasting Complaints Process and the relevant Codes and Standards are available on www.bai.ie

• Registered Users Posts: 14,009 ✭✭✭✭wnolan1992

OK, so this information is available elsewhere, but I thought it might be good to put it all in one place for newbies, since I had trouble getting to grips with the process myself. Maybe OMIH can add it to the first post at some point.

If You Would Like To Lodge A Complaint

If you see something in the show which you believe is in breach of the rules, then follow this procedure to make a complaint.

You will need to read through the Broadcasting Authority of Ireland's (BAI's) General Commercial Communications Code and see which section your issue is in breach of.
    Section 8.10 is the specific section that deals with psychic readers, but the show is also governed by the General Principles laid out in Section 3.

The Initial Complaint
    1. Your first port of call must be the Broadcaster, who in this case is TV3. You can submit your complaint using their online form, or by emailing your complaint with the following format to complaints@tv3.ie.

Show: Psychic Readings Live
      Channel: TV3
      Date: The date the show was broadcast (Be sure to get this correct.)
      Time: Usually 00:05-02:05, usually an approximate time will suffice.
      BAI's GCCC: List the specific sections of the GCCC your complaint refers to

Dear Sir/Madam,

Write your complaint here.
      Try to give hard facts, such as the time of the breach, quotes from the show, etc.
      DO NOT lodge a complaint solely based on the fact you believe it is morally wrong. As much as it may be true, it WILL NOT be considered as a valid complaint.

Sincerely,
      Your name

Emailing your complaint is by far the better option, as it is easier to keep records of correspondence for the later stages.
    2. TV3 have 21 days to respond to this initial complaint. If they do not respond, then you are entitled to forward the complaint to the BAI.
    3. If TV3 respond within 21 days, but you are dissatisfied with their response, you are entitled to forward it to the BAI.

Referring Your Complaint to the BAI
    1. Download the complaint referral form and fill it out carefully. You must provide your mailing address, as this will be used to send formal copies of decisions.
    2. You will need to supply the BAI with a copy of the original complaint. If you followed this guide and submitted your complaint by email, then this is easily done. Open your email account and go to either:

a) If TV3 responded: Go to the email you received from TV3 with their response. At the very bottom of this email there should be a copy of the complaint you submitted. Click "Forward", which should copy the entire conversation to a new email.
      OR
      b) If TV3 didn't respond: Go to your "Sent Items" folder and find the email you sent to TV3 originally and click "Forward".
    3. Click on "Attach" (or "Attach File"), and attach the referral form to this email.
    4. In the body of the email, put the following ABOVE the forwarded conversation from TV3 (which should contain both your original complaint and TV3's response to it):

Dear Sir/Madam,

Please find enclosed the complaint referral form (attached) and the correspondence between the broadcaster (TV3) and myself (below).

Sincerely,
      Your name

Send this email to complaints@bai.ie
    5. You will receive an acknowledgement from the BAI, which will assign your complaint a reference number. Your complaint will be referred back to TV3 by the BAI, and TV3 will have another 21 days to give a formal response.
    6. You will receive TV3's formal response to your complaint in the post. Read it, and if you are not satisfied you are entitled to refer it to the BAI's committee stage.

The Committee Stage
    1. You must send an email to the BAI outlining WHY you are not satisfied with TV3's response.
      As an example, if TV3 respond by saying pregnancy is not a medical issue, you could tell the BAI that you believe pregnancy is a medical issue, giving resons for why you believe this.

Be sure to put something along the lines of:

Response to Complaint Ref: X/X

in the subject line of your email to make things easier for the BAI (and for yourself when you're looking back).

Send this email to complaints@bai.ie
    2. You will receive a response from the BAI stating that your complaint has been referred to the committee sitting of a specific month.
    3. After the committee meeting, you will receive the BAI's decision via email and post, usually about two weeks after the meeting took place.
    4. If your complaint was upheld, TV3 will be required to broadcast the decision before PRL. The BAI will contact you with details of this.

NOTES:
    • This guide assumes that you have some computer literacy. This is based on the fact that you're reading this on an online forum, so it is assumed you're familiar with emails, .pdf files, among other things. I've tried to make things as non-technical as possible, but if you have any issues you can ask on the thread.
    • It is possible to submit your complaints via post but, based on the above assumption, that process is not included in this guide.
    • This guide should not be construed as encouraging frivolous complaints, it is merely to aid those who wish to make genuine complaints.

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Entertainment Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators, Regional East Moderators Posts: 18,406 CMod ✭✭✭✭The Black Oil

'TV3 states the provision of psychic services is not an exact science'

:pac:

• Registered Users Posts: 3,282 ✭✭✭BMollie

9th November 2012
    FLATHAN - Crystal Ball - Ask Anything

00.09 CALL RING
    00.11 CATHERINE 4.88 she loves watching him on tv
    00.15 CATHERINE (different caller) 2.44 ...be married 2 times "shocking"
    00.22 EAMON 2.44...house move?
    00.30 LANIKA 2.44...sister ill..can't talk about health
    00.32 ANN...2.44 will I have better luck for move?
    00.36 JOE 2.44..I will connect you to hotline can't do general reading
    00.41 ELLEN 2.44..when house will be sold?
    00.48 SUSAN 2.44..career?
    00.53 FEMALE 4.88..will I meet someone?
    00.56 MARIE BREEN 2.44..can't do gen read get hotline have q? call gone
    01.00 MARY 2.44 ..will I be a grandmother?
    01.12 FEMALE 2.44..will I change work?
    ONE CALL - 3 ANSWERS - CARDS
    01.23 ELIZABETH 2.44... get legal letter, dispute with man
    01.26 CARMEL (young) 2.44..you having psychic party with friends now
    01.31 FEMALE cannot talk you have to be 18 to call in
    01.36 JAMES 2.44....build business with man, a legal letter
    01.40 LIZ 2.44 ...psychic ability, move to another city
    01.50 ANN 2.44..trip, win money in lottery, have grandchild
    02.05 DEIRDRE 2.44

• Advertisement

Thanks BMollie.
    I was just about to watch & log last night's show. Been trying to get some rest if Flathan is on

Yeah, cheers for the logs BMollie. I know I said a while back that I'd try to log regularly again to share the burden, but it's getting to crunch time now in college so not even watching regularly, especially when Flathan is on.

Love how at the start of November he said he'd only be on for 3 nights... and look at him, still here....

Thanks BMollie. For the bit I watched it was very slow and listening to Flathan throwing his toys out of the pram because of the BAI rule made it all the better. As my dear father would say " Ahh.. my piles bleed for him"

I though last night was slow and it was an down from the 24/10/12 all made it into the red.

Estimated total on air time cost excluding waiting time €48.80
    08/11/2012 €56.12 -€7.32
    06/11/2012 €80.52 -€31.72
    05/11/2012 €87.84 -€39.04
    04/11/2012 €82.96 -€34.16
    03/11/2012 €90.28 -€41.48
    02/11/2012 €109.80 -€61.00
    01/11/2012 €61.00 -€12.20
    31/10/2012 €100.04 -€51.24
    30/10/2012 €51.24 -€2.44
    29/10/2012 €97.60 -€48.80
    28/10/2012 €129.32 -€80.52
    27/10/2012 €141.52 -€92.72
    26/10/2012 €95.52 -€46.72
    25/10/2012 €141.52 -€92.72
    24/10/2012 €239.12 -€190.32

Any chance of some quotes of Flathan from last night alluding to the BAI? Or better yet, some vids.

Oh wait, I forgot you can't post vids... ;) :P

• Registered Users Posts: 9,216 ✭✭✭MrVestek

I bet he didn't see that coming...

Fnarr fnarr...

Flathan said last night, there would be a cosmic reader on tonight. Wonder who she is?? another filler in I'd imagine seeing they are running out of presenters.:D

• Closed Accounts Posts: 29,476 ✭✭✭✭Our man in Havana

I wouldn't be at all surprised if Mary O'Rourke appeared.

Last night after the Verona call (asking about her sister health) he told her he couldn't talk about health. BUT he also said "I cannot talk about health. It's prohibited and I never do that, I do it never in my shows, I do it not also in Switzerland or in Germany, Austria because I have a responsibility" So please explain how a BAI complaint about pregnancy (a health issue) was logged and upheld against one of HIS shows back in 27th August.

A spokeswoman said it was "allowed to sell three hours of infomercial airtime to any advertiser. TV3 sells the time to the advertiser who will pay most for it. This is not television programming time. TV3 has no responsibility for editorial content in infomercials so long as the content meets applicable laws and regulations. We take any complaints against an advertiser seriously and we will follow up to ensure that all advertising is lawful including infomercials."

http://www.irishtimes.com/newspaper/breaking/2012/1109/breaking48.html

Sorry, not buying it love, and it appears neither are the BAI. :)

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 16,500 ✭✭✭✭DEFTLEFTHAND

They do state onscreen that its an entertainment service and that the views expressed are opinions not fact. If people believe in it and get something out of having a reading then I don't really have a problem with it. They choose to avail of the service, they are not coerced to do so, the phone charges are displayed onscreen also.

The slot is a good source of revenue for TV3. I don't really buy the argument that they are somehow preying on vulnerable people, I know many people who swear by this form of spiritual guidance. Personally I don't have any time for it but I respect the fact that some people find genuine comfort and solace in having a reading.

They do state onscreen that its an entertainment service and that the views expressed are opinions not fact. If people believe in it and get something out of having a reading then I don't really have a problem with it. They choose to avail of the service, they are not coerced to do so, the phone charges are displayed onscreen also.

The slot is a good source of revenue for TV3. I don't really buy the argument that they are somehow preying on vulnerable people, I know many people who swear by this form of spiritual guidance. Personally I don't have any time for it but I respect the fact that some people find genuine comfort and solace in having a reading.

You're perfectly entitled to have that opinion, but I disagree with it.

When you see a woman ringing in to ask about her IVF treatment (who is told that she will conceive twins in her first round of IVF), people ringing in about friends who have cancer (who are told everything will be alright), people ringing in who are clearly depressed (who by rights should be referred straight to the Samaritans instead of having their money siphoned off into a Hungarian bank account), I find it hard to take the attitude that "Sure it's fine, people get solace from it. Let them off."

Fact is, some people need to be protected from themselves.

Was just looking at Flathan's facebook and a comment was made by a fan about him telling her Danielle was on tonight

Sincerely, well done you guys, with your success in logging the show,and lodging complaints to the BAI. I think it's really starting to show results now. Personally, I don't have the knowledge or patience to do what you're doing, but I am with you in spirit. Keep up the good work!

• Registered Users Posts: 1,551 ✭✭✭Goldstein

The naive, gullible & vulnerable need more protection than anyone else. Well done to those keeping tabs on this.

I'm ashamed as an Irish person to see this crap on Irish airwaves.

Opinions and not fact.
    Would you please explain why people should ask about themselves and pay €2.44 per minute plus about 7 minutes waiting to be told 'rubbish'.

Is she related to Flathan, image of him :)

or else it's Miss Connolly

Deirdre from Coronation street has aged a bit, hasn't she?

• Registered Users Posts: 1,992 ✭✭✭flutegirl

coolhull wrote: »
    Deirdre from Coronation street has aged a bit, hasn't she?

That's who first came to my mind. If she says "Tracey, love" we know she's moonlighting.

• Advertisement

She just told you she was asking her angels for help you dozy gowl!

This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement