Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

TV3 Psychics Live *****VICTORY THREAD******

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 6 Danielle777

Find me something that doesn't get complained about? People complain about the price of bottled water , McDonald's were sued because the coffee was "too hot", I wouldn't be surprised if someone twigs North Africa can generate enough solar power to provide the western world with free energy.

The world works in ridiculous ways, but i can assure you the show is not generating the millions that some call in shows such as the prime time interactive shows are. These are the ones raping the phone bills.
    I imagine Simon Cowell solicitors are kept busy working over that load of complaints!

Cant please everyone all the time? I personally don't like the prime time phone in that supports and pays for shows like X factor, paying to try and sway a vote that lets face it has already been either decided or can be influence by the hosts. Each to their own I guess, but I hear you all shout "hypocrite" working for a call in entertainment service! And I would agree, but I see it as I am doing what I do anyway, just through Television media .

If I can affect a positive change in the two hours i am sitting there waffling away (which i might add, is long and tedious now due to the restrictions placed on us) then all the better. I would be happy to sit there for 2 hours and only take 1 phone call, as long as that person benefited from it.

Instead of trying to ram the show off the air, why don't you try working with it? Maybe finding a happy medium on the call cost and the show contents? Because believe it or not, the support for this show out weighs your complaints. So we must be doing something right

Peace

• Registered Users Posts: 14,009 ✭✭✭✭wnolan1992

Instead of trying to ram the show off the air, why don't you try working with it? Maybe finding a happy medium on the call cost and the show contents? Because believe it or not, the support for this show out weighs your complaints. So we must be doing something right

Peace

The producers know where we are.

I'm on record here as stating that this show, if done right, could be great. But at the moment it is clearly a "get-em-in-quick-and-out-as-fast" philosophy. No interaction from callers bar "Hello, my name is X" [call volume muted]. Flathan telling people "No, you can't have a general reading, because the topic is love readings.", even though he uses the same damn deck of cards. Giving meaningless readings to people who clearly sound distraught. Jeannette telling a woman she would definitely conceive during her first round of IVF. Theo telling someone that their friend suffering from cancer would definitelly be alright. The list goes on.

Ali Austin was the perfect example, someone who clearly cared about the callers. Kept reiterating the call costs, even told people to just ask their question then hang up and watch on TV to save money. But she lasted ONE night. ONE.

The fundamental difference between shows like X-Factor and this is that those shows don't claim to offer anything. This show claims to offer insight into future events (whether explicitly or implied) which preys on vulnerable people in desperate situations. Anyone who says differently is, frankly, either a damn liar or just ignorant, given the reams of evidence on show in the 30,000 odd posts on this forum regarding this topic.

• Registered Users Posts: 9,216 ✭✭✭MrVestek

Find me something that doesn't get complained about? People complain about the price of bottled water , McDonald's were sued because the coffee was "too hot", I wouldn't be surprised if someone twigs North Africa can generate enough solar power to provide the western world with free energy.

The world works in ridiculous ways, but i can assure you the show is not generating the millions that some call in shows such as the prime time interactive shows are. These are the ones raping the phone bills.
    I imagine Simon Cowell solicitors are kept busy working over that load of complaints!

Cant please everyone all the time? I personally don't like the prime time phone in that supports and pays for shows like X factor, paying to try and sway a vote that lets face it has already been either decided or can be influence by the hosts. Each to their own I guess, but I hear you all shout "hypocrite" working for a call in entertainment service! And I would agree, but I see it as I am doing what I do anyway, just through Television media .

If I can affect a positive change in the two hours i am sitting there waffling away (which i might add, is long and tedious now due to the restrictions placed on us) then all the better. I would be happy to sit there for 2 hours and only take 1 phone call, as long as that person benefited from it.

Peace

tl;dr.

• Subscribers Posts: 2,670 ✭✭✭.BrianJM

If you are who you profess to be, then how can you expect to be of benefit when what you say is nonsense. I say nonsense because the show has an on-screen disclaimer to the effect that 'statements are not fact'.
    Your thoughts on the subject seem contrary to those of your bosses. Are you happy with that?
    Instead of trying to ram the show off the air, why don't you try working with it? Maybe finding a happy medium on the call cost and the show contents?
    As WNolan1992 said, "The producers know where we are."
    They should also know who we are, but they are not good samaritans. They are running a business and the general idea in business would be to make a profit.

• Registered Users Posts: 9,937 ✭✭✭spookwoman

To whom it may concern. The BAI codes are there for a reason, they are there to protect people and using the label "entertainment service" doesn't work. Have you actually sat down and read the details of the 7 upheld complaints? Do think it is ok to tell a cancer sufferer that the test results will be good, is it ok to tell someone they suffer from depression and do you think it's ok to tell people if they will have children or not? All these answers based on a 2 min call with only the caller's name and questions to work on. Now if you went to a professional as in someone who actually studied a recognised science and wanted answers it would take a lot more than 2 mins and the sound of their voice. Psychic phenomena is unproven and many of the top psychics have been debunked.
    As to working with the show I cannot see that happening and its pretty evident when after a BAI ruling the producers make sure it's all by the book but then go back to their old ways after a few days. I personally don't like getting unsolicited email from ESO.TV wanting my number so they can speak with me.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,039 ✭✭✭face1990

spookwoman wrote: »
    is it ok to tell someone they suffer from depression

You're not even allowed to do that in the Personal Issues board :p
    I got a slap on the wrist for suggesting to someone that they may be depressed. And rightly so, I see in hindsight. An unqualified person giving any kind of medical or psychological advice/diagnoses can be dangerous and is ethically dubious.

My issue with the show (or advertisement, technically) is that I feel it unethical to present people as having psychic abilities in order to make money. I understand, Danielle, that 'psychics' have bills to pay and families to support, but you could use that argument to justify anything.

• Registered Users Posts: 49,731 ✭✭✭✭coolhull

Voting on XFactor 3 times a week, every week, for a ten-week period may well cost 30 pounds, (approximately 45 euro) over the entire length of the series. But we have heard many callers complain on-air about being kept on hold for up to an hour. At 2.44 a-minute, that comes to 146.40euro
    So 30 calls to X-Factor = 45 euro
    1 call to PRL =146 euro

Can you spot the difference?

Just a note that lady who called up last night ref son in foster care and turns 9 on xmas day (25 December) his start sign IS capricorn (Dec 22 to jan 21) as his mother said and NOT Sagittarius (Nov 22 to Dec 21) as was stated by Danielle last night. Have checked a number of astrology sites to be sure.

• Registered Users Posts: 7,020 ✭✭✭BlaasForRafa

Just a note that lady who called up last night ref son in foster care and turns 9 on xmas day (25 December) his start sign IS capricorn (Dec 22 to jan 21) as his mother said and NOT Sagittarius (Nov 22 to Dec 21) as was stated by Danielle last night. Have checked a number of astrology sites to be sure.

And if they can't even get that right, how can they possibly tune their scooby senses into whats going to happen in the future?

• Registered Users Posts: 86 ✭✭NonSickle

Peace

The support for the show is from the most vulnerable people in Ireland, how can you sleep at night.. also you could waffle what you waffle to anyone, it is so general so its not predicting in that sense, also the public are rarely given a chance to reply to what is said as they are cut off and if they disagree they are told i will give that to you anyway or ye wangle your way out of it..

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 29,476 ✭✭✭✭Our man in Havana

Clothing allowance must be low for this show.

Sweet jesus...... Lunar Eclipse It will start at 12:14pm and end at 4:00pm. Thats later today during the day. http://www.donegaldaily.com/2012/11/27/spectacular-lunar-eclipse-on-wednesday/

Sweet jesus...... Lunar Eclipse It will start at 12:14pm and end at 4:00pm. Thats later today during the day. http://www.donegaldaily.com/2012/11/27/spectacular-lunar-eclipse-on-wednesday/
    Normal enough at this time of the year.

Hate it when people say things and dont check before they open their mouths esp with astronomy. Must have just did a quick check and say the 12.14 and didnt see or check for am or pm. grrrrr Pet hate

• Registered Users Posts: 1,992 ✭✭✭flutegirl

Well!

You go to bed early and all hell breaks loose! :eek:

For my tuppenceworth, I've also said in the past that if the show was tweaked somewhat and was a bit more transparent, e.g. avearge length of waiting time before getting on air, it wouldn't be so bad. As has also been pointed out there needs to be more interaction with callers for their clarification. I appreciate that you guys are working within boundaries set by the makers of the show, but sometimes it appears that there is no skill involved. For example, Carole on occasion was giving out very general information and nothing personal to the callers paying for her expertise.

This is just my interpretation, what do I know??

Also the cost per minute is outrageous.

You could probably drop it to 1e and still make some profit.

Poor Ger. He didn't learn much much from that load of sh1te

Edwina ;) noticed she hung up straight away

Before his name was changed did anyone else think that Marlo White Feather was an old woman?

And Psychic Advisor Andre sort of looks like the Samuel L. Jackson of psychic readings live.

Got to love the Geminis ;)

flutegirl wrote: »
    Got to love the Geminis ;)
    Double the fun! ;)

Oops, wrong forum.

• Advertisement

Does a Psychic Advisor advise the psychics?? :confused:

Before his name was changed did anyone else think that Marlo White Feather was an old woman?

And Psychic Advisor Andre sort of looks like the Samuel L. Jackson of psychic readings live.
    And Kar-mi looks like Frank Spenser's grandad

• Registered Users Posts: 3,282 ✭✭✭BMollie

Someone knocking at the door, probably somebody knocking against the green screen

coolhull wrote: »

...and Robinson, if you kinda squint, look and then look away quickly, LOOKS like Matthew Kelly...sort of.

Peace

Look Danielle, lets get real here, you lie for 2 hours a night so as to make a few quid. You make money from the most vulnerable in society, those who are elderly, lonely, feeling down or desperate. Psychic readings live charges a lot of money (from people who probably didn't have much to start with) for a brief, cursory few words which are complete baloney.

You're probably a nice person outside of your "psychic" work but your so-called talents are a sham, you cannot assign traits to people based on their star signs, the movements of the stars or planets cannot affect peoples personalities or future, there is no such thing as destiny, you cannot tell the future from cards or any other type of object, its all rubbish. In reality you have no more legitimacy than a 3 card monte shyster on times square.

We like to have a bit of a laugh here with/at the expense of the show because its the only way to bear having to watch 2 hours of turgid tv. Make no mistake though, we want to see you and your colleagues gone.

Everytime Kar-mi comes on I keep seeing him on THAT website

• Registered Users Posts: 3,282 ✭✭✭BMollie

coolhull wrote: »

Looks more like he should be working in a French Deli

flutegirl wrote: »
    ...and Robinson, if you kinda squint, look and then look away quickly, LOOKS like Matthew Kelly...sort of.

and Ken looks like phil mitchells lanky cousin

Don't think that caller like that

• Advertisement

and Ken looks like phil mitchells lanky cousin

Ah, you've lost me now, haven't watched EastEnders since Kat screamed "YES I AM!"

This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement