Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Possible to retake a module?

• 23-07-2012 2:12am
    Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 740 ✭✭✭

So, about 3 years ago i was doing arts in ucc. During the exams i got spooked paniced and didnt go to one exam. I have stuck my head in the sand since then, got a fairly good job and so on. Anyways i am now wondering if it is possible to take that module again? Does anyone know?

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 12,349 ✭✭✭✭starlit

I think you can but there is a time limit you have to pass it after a certain amount of attempts and after a set period of time. I think its mentioned in the Marks and Standards. You might be restricted depending when you first started the BA and when you finished your last set of exams.

You don't say whether you left the course after that and got a job or did you continue and finish the degree? If you have a good enough job like maybe wait on when you got more work experience but if you think you are ready to go back to UCC by all means do. Would you stick with the same course and continue or like to just repeat that module or change to a different course all together?

Get in touch with UCC or a lecturer/course co-ordinator for information.

Have a link here for Marks and Standards for Arts.

http://www.ucc.ie/admin/registrar/marksandstandards/2012CACSSS.pdf

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 740 ✭✭✭Aka Ishur

I should have clarified this was the final exam of final year, pass this to get the degree.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,822 ✭✭✭Chazz Michael Michaels

Aka Ishur wrote: »
    I should have clarified this was the final exam of final year, pass this to get the degree.

As above, we have no idea how to help you because we don't know the time period between you leaving and now.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 12,349 ✭✭✭✭starlit

Ah if it was your final exam in final year then well you might be able to do the module again if it was like three years ago when you were to sit it, did you get the degree even though you didn't sit the exam or would you not get the degree unless you sat it? You would want to repeat it this coming year though I say so you might not be restricted. They might say start again in another course or something but I say you should be ok when its just the one module and when you haven't sat a final exam in it they should give you some leeway.

Was it a 3 or 4 year degree? Well I say you have an three year open window I think when resitting an exam for a module. I think you be ok as you haven't sat the exam so you might be able to repeat the module and sit the exam. I would say get in touch with someone about it. I think you be ok but you will need to talk to an lecturer or co-ordinator of the course/module to see are you entitled to do it.

I know with UCC there is a restriction based on how many times you can sit an exam and how long it takes you to pass it depending when you started and finished the course.

Think that you have so many years to pass 1st year, 2nd year, 3rd year, 4th year and so on. Three years for each year I think in order to pass exams/course before you can move on in the course. Though if it just one module you should be ok I say you be able to repeat it.

Though in other Colleges be a lot more straight forward like in the IT's. Though if you pass with compensation you can move on but if you repeat and fail an autumn exam you'd have to repeat the year/module. Though you can repeat it as many times as you like and no set period to pass it. You could take years out and go back to repeat a year or module or transfer no problem under certain circumstances though sometimes transferring is not always an option you have to either drop out or keep going or change to another course/college and start again or if you have a certain number of years or modules done you can transfer to another course/module.

In UCC its not as straight forward when it comes to these things.

Best of luck with it.

Advertisement