Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back a page or two to re-sync the thread and this will then show latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Compub...

• 23-07-2012 7:17am
    Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,201 ✭✭✭

I went yesterday to buy a magic mouse for the ipad. I am considering it a solution for when I am watching videos and the ipad is far. It works well with a bt stack from Cydia (check youtube).

The thing is, I asked the guy to show it to me (they have one to use with pne of the macs on display), and then I wanted to try it.

There is where ot started...it will not work, he said. I explained the above. He repeated 4, 5 times that I would npt work, etc.

I insisted...ok, just let me try it. And we got to 2nd level excuses...that is already synced to that mac, etc.

In short, they did not let me try it. Off course, I did not buy it.

I was surprised really to come across this Aldi version of an Apple "genius" as I had bought stuff from them in the past and they had been helpful.

Anyway, I will be going to pcworld or buying online, but has anybody tested the magic mouse on the ipad? Does it work ok?

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,764 ✭✭✭Doodah7

Compub are all but an official Apple Store. Am I right in thinking that you went in stating that you wanted to test to see that a track pad would work with a Cydia app on a jailbroken iPad and you got the hump because the assistant said no?

Neck like a jockey's b... springs to mind...

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,706 ✭✭✭120_Minutes

If it were me, I'd be saying it wouldn't work too, even if there was a chance it did. You're trying a peripheral on a jail broken device, which officially an apple retailer or reseller can not condone or support. If you were to buy it, then the support for the mouse from cydia is removed, you can't return it as its not apples fault.

At the very least I would have sold you it with the above warning and let the buyer beware.

The guy from compub was right in this instance. He's covering his ass.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 904 ✭✭✭Tazium

OP, do you have an iPhone too? You could try CineXplayer. As a movie playing application it's great allowing most formats to be played without conversion. It also offers a remote control feature allowing your iPhone to control the playback and selection of content on the iPad.

That said, why didn't you just try it out anyway? How would they have even known if you just walked up and started trying it out on one of the demo machines with the touchpad.

Edit- Just re-read the CineXplayer help file. It can be controlled by any web-browser over wifi, not just an iPhone.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,201 ✭✭✭gzoladz

I asked him to test the mouse, I did not go into jb only unit he insisted it would not work. I also told him I had seen it on youtube, and if I can see it worked I had boughted.

Either way, it had taken one minute. The reason why he did not let me try it was because "he had already told me it wouldnt work..."

I think it was silly on his side.

Tazium, I did not went and try it anyway because the right thing to do was to ask permission to do it.
    Thanks re CineXplayer but I want to be able to control all the functions on the ipad, not only the media.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 17,208 ✭✭✭✭aidan_walsh

I asked him to test the mouse, I did not go into jb only unit he insisted it would not work
    Because he is right - stock, out of the box, a mouse will not pair with an iPad. It would need to be jailbroken first, and they ain't gonna do that in store.

• Advertisement

Because he is right - stock, out of the box, a mouse will not pair with an iPad. It would need to be jailbroken first, and they ain't gonna do that in store.

I had my ipad already jailbroken with the bt stack installed. I showed this to him.
    It just needed to be paired.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,479 ✭✭✭Deep Thought

gzoladz wrote: »
    I had my ipad already jailbroken with the bt stack installed. I showed this to him.

Indeed, but as was mentioned out of the box it wont work so he was correct, you then showed him your JB device which is not Kosher with Apple...from his perspective,I aint touching it.....so therefore answer one applies

The narrower a man’s mind, the broader his statements.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 17,208 ✭✭✭✭aidan_walsh

Sorry, I was under the impression from the OP that you were looking to try to pair the mouse to one of the store iPads. You were looking to pair it to your own?

Sorry, I was under the impression from the OP that you were looking to try to pair the mouse to one of the store iPads. You were looking to pair it to your own?

Exactly. I accepted his disclaimered about it not working with a stock ipad, etc, but I showed him mine with the bt stack installed and he still did not want to help.

Exactly. I accepted his disclaimered about it not working with a stock ipad, etc, but I showed him mine with the bt stack installed and he still did not want to help.

Because as genuine apple resellers, they can refuse to support or help with jailbroken devices.

• Advertisement

Because as genuine apple resellers, they can refuse to support or help with jailbroken devices.

Who asked for support or help?

I want to buy something, I want to try. They dont let me with silly excuses. I go and buy somewhere else.

It is not a problem for me, I found silly the attitude considering that they were helpful in the past. They are the ones who lost the sale and Compub for me will no longer be the first por of call for Apple stuff.

Not the smartest way to irritate a client in my opinion.

you did, by asking to try the mouse with your ipad.

I've already mentioned that there can be two ways to deal with this, either let the buyer beware or not help at all so that it doesnt come back to bite him in the ass later on. he chose the latter. he doesnt care that you're irritated, he's saved himself possible bother in the long run, and thats all that matters to him.

I would have chosen the former route, but i cant really blame him for his course of action either.

suck it up and buy it somewhere else.

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Arts Moderators, Entertainment Moderators, Technology & Internet Moderators Posts: 22,679 CMod ✭✭✭✭Sad Professor

I suspect the sales assistant wasn't experienced with jailbreaking which is why he kept insisting that it wouldn't work.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 9,672 ✭✭✭squonk

I want to buy something, I want to try. They dont let me with silly excuses. I go and buy somewhere else.

It is not a problem for me, I found silly the attitude considering that they were helpful in the past. They are the ones who lost the sale and Compub for me will no longer be the first por of call for Apple stuff.

Not the smartest way to irritate a client in my opinion.

To be honest if you're waving about a jailbroken device in front of them, they may not want your future business. Suppose it works, then that's OK but suppose it doesn't still work and he's wasting time faffing around helping you on something that's not officially supported anyway. Also, suppose you come home and the mouse doesn't work. Who's fault is it? Yours or the Mouse?

Like any support, if you're purchasing for a non standard setup, all bets are off and nobody is under any obligation to entertain you.

I still dont get it. Business is business, a sale is a sale. Specially in the current climate. I didnt ask him to show me if the mouse can fly. I asked to try to do something that the mouse is known to be able to do, as it is everywhere on the internet.

Anyway, I obviously had wrong expectations...try before you buy...in what planet? Crazy idea!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,111 ✭✭✭ResearchWill

I still dont get it. Business is business, a sale is a sale. Specially in the current climate. I didnt ask him to show me if the mouse can fly. I asked to try to do something that the mouse is known to be able to do, as it is everywhere on the internet.

Anyway, I obviously had wrong expectations...try before you buy...in what planet? Crazy idea!

Apple don't think like that, if they did they would not lock their devices down so much. Apple can not be seen to condone or agree with jailbreaking, it's as simple as that, even if you wanted to buy a mac book pro retina display they would say no it does not work. Knowing how apple operate if a reseller gave what they considered support to unlocking or jailbreaking they may lose the agency.

You see it as a sale, apple see it as trouble, and as they are the most valuable company in the world with enough cash in the bank to almost clear Ireland's national debt, maybe they are right with the attitude they take.

Apple don't think like that, if they did they would not lock their devices down so much. Apple can not be seen to condone or agree with jailbreaking, it's as simple as that, even if you wanted to buy a mac book pro retina display they would say no it does not work. Knowing how apple operate if a reseller gave what they considered support to unlocking or jailbreaking they may lose the agency.

You see it as a sale, apple see it as trouble, and as they are the most valuable company in the world with enough cash in the bank to almost clear Ireland's national debt, maybe they are right with the attitude they take.

And I appreciate that. But in such a case you explain that to the customer.

It is not allowing you to try, and how the situation was managed.

As a test case, next time I am in an Apple Store (a real one) I will ask the same question and watch how the situation is managed.

Its seems that everyone is giving you the same answer and you are just waiting for one person to say you are right

Just accept that any apple retailer will not sell you any device that that in order for it to function you must hack their system.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,155 ✭✭✭Stainless_Steel

And I appreciate that. But in such a case you explain that to the customer.

It is not allowing you to try, and how the situation was managed.

As a test case, next time I am in an Apple Store (a real one) I will ask the same question and watch how the situation is managed.

Let it go i say. They were dead right to tell you it doesn't work.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,127 ✭✭✭kjl

Can't understand why you are so upset about this, he is right, it doesn't work.He probably knows all about jailbreaking but he has to represent the store, not he own knowledge. If he was to go and tell you to void your warranty by jailbreaking your device then something happens, the store could be liable.

If you have seen it work on youtube, the you can be pretty sure it works, so why do you need to test it with your device?

• Advertisement

We agree to disagree...I was not happy with the answer and even less happy with the manners, as already described.

You all seem all to be expecting me to issue an apoloy or something like that.

I found it poor, and I have shared why...you dont agree, that's grand. We have different expectations.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,395 ✭✭✭McGrath5

OP from my own experience in sales, I would be very reluctant to sell a product or service to a customer where I consider there is a good chance that the said product or service will not work correctly or meet the customers expectations.
    The reason you ask?
    It can come back to bite me in the ass, in the form of a refund, paperwork, grief, tracking a credit for the item.
    The sales agent probably saw it like that, and therefore that's why he/she adopted the attitude.

can I ask one question

IF you did not JB your iPad would you have gone into the shop to buy it?

PC, thanks for sharing.

DT, we know it does not work on a stock ipad, not sure why you ask. But it is known that it does work on a jb ipad.

If the shop assistant had refused on the basis that they do not support jb devices its fine, nothing else to talk. But he insisted that it would not work on a jb ipad, that is what triggered me to challenged him back, what he didnt like hence he started acting up.

Does any of you guys actually work for this shop?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,793 ✭✭✭coolisin

Why didn't you just walk in an say you wanted to buy one and leave it at that?

Sometimes companies will send in "mystery shoppers" to catch employees out like this.
    With an apple reseller and jailbroken this is a nono.

What if his manager see's him pairing a mouse with an iPad when it shouldn't, the trouble he could get into for one sale.
    It's an ethical thing.

But you should've strolled in an said I want the mouse end of!

coolisin wrote: »
    Why didn't you just walk in an say you wanted to buy one and leave it at that?

Sometimes companies will send in "mystery shoppers" to catch employees out like this.
    With an apple reseller and jailbroken this is a nono.

What if his manager see's him pairing a mouse with an iPad when it shouldn't, the trouble he could get into for one sale.
    It's an ethical thing.

But you should've strolled in an said I want the mouse end of!

I wanted to try it first.

If the reason is ethical, the tell me it is ethical and that would have been the end, as opposed to bs your answer stating it would not work.

The longer this thread goes, the more evident becomes the poor management of the situation on the assistant side.

The right answer would have been something along the lines of..."I am sorry but the mouse does not work on stock ios and we do not support modified devices."

The answer given was..."no, it doesnt work. It doesnt work, I already told you. It will not work. No. No. Etc, etc"

So, the resolution of this thread is that he was right to refuse, but he should have phrased it differently? Agreed?

So, the resolution of this thread is that he was right to refuse, but he should have phrased it differently? Agreed?

LOL - this thread does not need a resolution, I shared my experience in the shop, most of people are of the opinon that the assistant acted correctly, I am of the opinion that he managed the situation poorly.

There isn't much more to it.

PC, thanks for sharing.

DT, we know it does not work on a stock ipad, not sure why you ask. But it is known that it does work on a jb ipad.

Just trying to show that in normal circumstances (no JB) you would not go in and ask for something that you know wont work with you chosen device.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 68 ✭✭Busyness1

I wanted to try it first.

If the reason is ethical, the tell me it is ethical and that would have been the end, as opposed to bs your answer stating it would not work.

The longer this thread goes, the more evident becomes the poor management of the situation on the assistant side.

The right answer would have been something along the lines of..."I am sorry but the mouse does not work on stock ios and we do not support modified devices."

The answer given was..."no, it doesnt work. It doesnt work, I already told you. It will not work. No. No. Etc, etc"

Christ above. You went in with a jb iPad, thus warranty non-existent. Staff member told you the mouse doesn't work with an out of box iPad which is good enough in itself. If you wanted to test your jb unit, buy the mouse bring it home and test it. Bin it if it doesn't work (Although I'm sure you'd attempt to return it) hence why no-one requesting info is entertained regarding a jailbroken device for any reason. Suck it up and move on. People like you and computer stores really annoy me!! You were happy enough to risk the jb, why not risk purchasing the mouse to do something outside of the manufacturers guidelines and stop making excuses.

Advertisement