Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Amsterdam trip planned.

• 23-07-2012 7:37am
    Registered Users Posts: 3

Anyone familliar with Amsterdam? Going in August for a week, need to be central, need to please an 18 and 20 year old. Any idea where to stay? Where to avoid? What to see? Would appreciate all and any tips. Thanks.

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 14,546 ✭✭✭✭Poor Uncle Tom

Thread moved from Construction & Planning....

• Registered Users Posts: 3 blondeandbald

Thank you. I'm new!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 14,546 ✭✭✭✭Poor Uncle Tom

You're welcome. I'm Tom....:pac:(couldn't resist)

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,148 ✭✭✭Passenger

Well the Vondel park is a nice place to spend a nice August afternoon. It's central, within the canal ring and there's usually lots of people of all ages, including families enjoying themselves if the weather is good.

:)

• Registered Users Posts: 10 AnnieUncanny

There are good bus/tram connections in Amsterdam so you could live 5-15 minutes outside if there is a bus stop right outside your hotel.
    I stayed near Rembrandtsplein (15 minutes walk from the centre) and I think that area is nice, but 15 minutes to walk was a 'bit' too much.

If you want to go see the house of Anne Frank then go early because the lines get ridiculous. Make reservations for 'the Pancake Bakery' located in Prinsengracht 191 (2 minutes away from Anne Frank).

The Red Light District is a must IMO, but I don't know if you would feel comfortable going there with your children(?) (even if they are young adults).

Study the map before you go if you have any places you know you want to go to beforehand. The streets are longs and side roads are non-existing, so if you're heading the wrong direction you have no choice than to turn around.

Enjoy your stay! Amsterdam is a beautiful city.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 2,563 ✭✭✭dd972

t'arendsnest is a good bar, only serve Dutch brewed beers, it's at 90 Herengracht

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,260 ✭✭✭Viper_JB

I'd advise go to the Zoo, it's very cool - pretty central too well within walking distance of central station if you're near there, Madame Tuassauds and the Amsterdam Dungeon are good for a laugh too :) enjoy the stay it's a great spot.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,996 ✭✭✭two wheels good

The Van Gogh museum.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,372 ✭✭✭im invisible

should be heading there for a while shortly myself. just wondering a few things,

whats the nightlife like, clubs, uns uns uns music, not too heavy, not too funky-house/ charty. bitta techno or whatever.
    also any bars to avoid?

many shopping centers/ shopping areas around?

thinking of maybe going to the M C Escher museum in the Hague, (didnt realise it was in the hague untill 5 mins ago)
    is there much else to see there/ is it worth the hour at least there and the same back? maybe do shopping there?

i presume its still handy to get weed in the dam? What exactly are the laws, can you roll up/ smoke in public? how about the hague, different laws or the same?

probably end up doing the Anne Frank house/ Heineken brewery/ Van Gough museum. is there anything else not too museumy/ touristy that might be worth a look??

• Registered Users Posts: 10 AnnieUncanny

should be heading there for a while shortly myself. just wondering a few things,

whats the nightlife like, clubs, uns uns uns music, not too heavy, not too funky-house/ charty. bitta techno or whatever.
    also any bars to avoid?

many shopping centers/ shopping areas around?

There is nightlife. Visit here + here for suggestions + reviews. I haven't been to Amsterdam for the nightlife myself.
    There is shopping as well! They have malls, but when in Amsterdam I would recommend you to do your shopping outdoors walking up and down the many shopping streets because you can find shopping centres everywhere else, but you can't find the same architecture.
    Which street is best for you depends on what you are looking for, but my favorites were Kalverstraat (lots of shops, very busy) + Utrechtsestraat (found lots of cool gadgets I am not able to find/buy at home) + Haarlemmerstraat (for clothing).

• Advertisement
Advertisement