Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

How long to transition to Kinvara 3?

Options
  • 23-07-2012 8:19am
    Registered Users Posts: 16,052 ✭✭✭✭

Bit of a query here.
    I know going from normal runners to minimalist runners can take a bit of getting used to, but roughly how long would we be talking on average?

I have a pair of Kinvara 3's, first started running in them on the 12th July.
    Did a 6k, felt fine.
    Next day did 10k, felt fine.
    next day did 14.5k, felt fine.

So went to do some more, went for runs on the 16th, 18th and 22nd (yesterday) but each of those last 3 times, ive been getting what feels like shin splints. (burning sensation down my right calf). Every time ive had to stop. I get sore calves too but nothing major

I used to get that last year, but I found using compression socks (aldi/lidl) sorted that out.
    This has only re-surfaced once wearing the new runners.

Has this happened to anyone else, is it something to be expected?
    its strange that on the first 3 runs there was no pain, have I done too much too soon?

Any pointers would be greatly appreciated

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 12,583 ✭✭✭✭tunney

event wrote: »
    Bit of a query here.
    I know going from normal runners to minimalist runners can take a bit of getting used to, but roughly how long would we be talking on average?

I have a pair of Kinvara 3's, first started running in them on the 12th July.
    Did a 6k, felt fine.
    Next day did 10k, felt fine.
    next day did 14.5k, felt fine.

So went to do some more, went for runs on the 16th, 18th and 22nd (yesterday) but each of those last 3 times, ive been getting what feels like shin splints. (burning sensation down my right calf). Every time ive had to stop. I get sore calves too but nothing major

I used to get that last year, but I found using compression socks (aldi/lidl) sorted that out.
    This has only re-surfaced once wearing the new runners.

Has this happened to anyone else, is it something to be expected?
    its strange that on the first 3 runs there was no pain, have I done too much too soon?

Any pointers would be greatly appreciated

I've had kinvaras for almost two years now. Still don't use them exclusively as I find that the calves can get loaded up too much and often need a break.

• Registered Users Posts: 162 ✭✭Ecoenergy

Bought a pair of Kinvara 2's back in Feb and at the time I swore I would transition into them gradually. After the first run they felt so good I went against my own best advice and ran every run in them. I've been having trouble now with my Achilles and I can't help thinking its due to the lower heel. I've got a pair of Kinvara 3's now. I'm stubbornly hoping that foam rolling and icing each evening will solve this and I'm trying to avoid going back to the bigger heel. Take the transition very, very, very slow.

• Registered Users Posts: 16,052 ✭✭✭✭event

thanks folks.

i may ease up on them so. I have a race on august 11th and was hoping to wear them then but maybe ill give it a miss

thanks folks.

i may ease up on them so. I have a race on august 11th and was hoping to wear them then but maybe ill give it a miss

distances up to 10k should be fine but take the longer distances slowly - go back to the rule of 10% a week increase for new runners like kinvara.

thanks again.

i might get another pair then to run normally in, my asics are a bit bucked.

• Advertisement

no harm to stretch your calves and achilles quickly before and after too. personally had no problem adjusting to the the 4mm drop in the kinvara. 0mm drop shoes were a killer on the calves at the start tho!
    As other posters have said - probably best to have a second pair of different runners to rotate with.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,523 ✭✭✭spurscormac

glasso wrote: »
    no harm to stretch your calves and achilles quickly before and after too. personally had no problem adjusting to the the 4mm drop in the kinvara. 0mm drop shoes were a killer on the calves at the start tho!
    As other posters have said - probably best to have a second pair of different runners to rotate with.

I would agree with this. Personally, I started my transitioning with a 9mm drop shoe and have moved onto a 6mm drop after 6/7 months.
    Found it tough at the start of using each shoe, but it settled down after a couple of weeks.

Now using my more cushioned shoe for long runs, lesser one for shorter and faster sessions.

Might be best to get a shoe with an inbetween drop to help ease you through the transition process.

Yea i think that's best.
    so my asics are a 12mm, the kinvaras are a 4mm.
    anyone care to suggest an 8mm trainer?

Not too expensive though :)

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,800 ✭✭✭thirstywork2

Yea i think that's best.

INNOV8 ROAD 255 9MM

• Registered Users Posts: 5,468 ✭✭✭sconhome

Yea i think that's best.

Saucony Triumph 9 are a neutral 8mm shoe and the Saucony Omni 11 are an 8mm guidance shoe.

Spurscormac gives great advice on how to manage a transition; slowly and steadily, allowing the body to adjust & adapt before increasing distances run. Everybody is individual in how this should be approached too.

• Advertisement

Yea i think my eyes got all shiny when i saw the kinvaras, just wanted them and thought ill be grand.

Got them in the amphibian king in ballymount, will call in next month when payday comes to see what they have there.

Thanks again lads, the a/t/r forums here are really one of the best around for advice

• Registered Users Posts: 5,468 ✭✭✭sconhome

Yea i think my eyes got all shiny when i saw the kinvaras, just wanted them and thought ill be grand.

Got them in the amphibian king in ballymount, will call in next month when payday comes to see what they have there.

Thanks again lads, the a/t/r forums here are really one of the best around for advice

Its easy to go out too hard because they really feel great on the feet. Ease back for a while and enjoy the experience.

Yea i think that's best.

Brooks Green Silence are 8mm drop. you can get them for 40 euro delivered here in sizes 8 to 10

http://www.sportsshoes.com/product/BRO367/brooks-green-silence-racing-running-shoes/?id=364&utm_source=AW&utm_medium=Affiliates&utm_campaign=existem&_$ja=tsid:31785

if not your size try out the links from here

http://tribesports.com/products?utf8=%E2%9C%93&q=green+silence&sort_by=price

I have a pair and they are good but I prefer lower drop now.
    They felt a bit hard-soled to me initially but broke in nicely after 30 or 40 miles.

Has anyone bought from sportshoes.com before, are they reliable?

tribesports are an aggregation link site to sellers. the sellers vary - jjb etc. haven't bought from sportshoes myself - research online for reviews...

• Registered Users Posts: 498 ✭✭DOCO12

Im in love with these shoes. They look cool! Am due a new pair but am abit anxious about the transition too. I'm currently wearing Asics Hyper 33 and love them, they have a heel drop of 10mm. But would like an option of a lighter shoe for the faster stuff, keeping the hypers for the majority of my training. Would it be recommended to try the kinvaras too? or should I just stick with the hypers for everything?

Advertisement