Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

UPC in my area

• 23-07-2012 10:10am
    Registered Users Posts: 102 ✭✭

I would like to know if anyone is still waiting for UPC to upgrade from MMDS to cable in their area? I have been with "Chorus" for years now and live in a built up suburb and cannot get UPC DVR box and other options like the new on demand service. How is this fair that I am paying the same price as someone that lives at most 2 minutes from me and can get all these extras?

What will it take to get them to upgrade my area???????

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,431 ✭✭✭Hugh Cream

I live in the city center, premises literilly just across the road can get everything but I can only get the basic tv service, no hd, bb or phone.
    Been told for the last 4 years maybe that I'd have everything by the end of year.
    I've moved to sky, which is hugely better than UPC, hopefully bb will be available for me at some point.

• Registered Users Posts: 102 ✭✭trinz23

i was moving to sky and rang to enquire only to find out that to have a second box installed i need an active phone line which i dont have and am not willing to get as i dont want to pay line rental for a line not being used....its just the price that bothers me. Why should I be paying the same amount as someone that gets extra features when i dont even have the option to do so?

• Moderators, Technology & Internet Moderators Posts: 11,879 Mod ✭✭✭✭icdg

trinz23 wrote: »

What will it take to get them to upgrade my area???????

If ComReg follow through on their threat to kill MMDS, that might concentrate UPC's minds to upgrade these urban areas to cable. Quite why anyone in Chorus thought MMDS in urban areas was ever a good idea beats me anyway.

• Registered Users Posts: 303 ✭✭thefishone

icdg wrote: »
    If ComReg follow through on their threat to kill MMDS, that might concentrate UPC's minds to upgrade these urban areas to cable. Quite why anyone in Chorus thought MMDS in urban areas was ever a good idea beats me anyway.

When I moved into my house,I got cable from chorus,then when I built on an
    extension in 2002,all I could put in there was mmds,so had chorus Analogue by
    cable in the house and chorus digital by mmds in the extension, thats how
    chaotic it was with chorus.
    And I only live a two minute walk from the main limerick depot.

• Registered Users Posts: 102 ✭✭trinz23

i don't understand how they are willing to lose so many customers due to this. If it wasn't for the issue with getting a second box with sky I would have been gone long ago. I am still looking at what other options I have, doing everything I can to leave them. I hate ringing up Customer Service and badgering them, I actually worked there a few years ago so I know first hand the grief they get up there.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 316 ✭✭Ms. Captain M

I'm in the exact same boat, would have moved to Sky long ago only for I have no phone line and have another box upstairs.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,888 ✭✭✭zg3409

I'm in the exact same boat, would have moved to Sky long ago only for I have no phone line and have another box upstairs.

A Sky eye is a grand solution for a second TV. If you want to watch two programms at the same time then also get a FreeSAT and a Saorview box for the second TV. In this way you get access to all recordings in the second room and all premuim channels from the main box.

If someone wants to use the main box in the main room you still have loads of choice from the free channels. An even cheaper/easier to use solution is to use a Sky eye and an old box without subscription. In this way you can use the same remote and same TV guide.

It is vary rare two people would want to watch 2 premium channels at the same time and one person could not record the program to watch later.

• Registered Users Posts: 316 ✭✭Ms. Captain M

Thanks for all the info zg. It sounds like a lot of hassle though, I like an easy life! Where would I get a FreeSat box and how much are they? And would I need an outdoor aerial for that?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,888 ✭✭✭zg3409

Thanks for all the info zg. It sounds like a lot of hassle though, I like an easy life! Where would I get a FreeSat box and how much are they? And would I need an outdoor aerial for that?

Freesat uses the same dish as Sky. Saorview uses a TV aerial. Saorview is not essential unless you want to watch the Irish channels in both rooms at the same time.

Refer to the Satellite forum for details on non pay systems. This forum is for cable TV systems.

Advertisement