If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

40 inch television advice

Options
  • 23-07-2012 10:48am
    Registered Users Posts: 12

Hi

Just looking for advice as we are looking for a new television, probably a 40 inch, we have sky (no HD channels), and a large collection of DVDs, we love watching sport and movies, and are budget would be in around €800. we have no interest in internet on tv or 3d or even gaming.

We have a Sony home cinema system at the moment and would be looking to get a blue ray player down the line, but would look for a television that would be best with standard sky and watching dvds.

Any help / suggestions would be great, the choice is mind blowing so a starting point / narrowing of options would be appreciated!

Comments

• Company Representative Posts: 9,463 ✭✭✭Richersounds.ie: John

pete4355 wrote: »
    Hi

Just looking for advice as we are looking for a new television, probably a 40 inch, we have sky (no HD channels), and a large collection of DVDs, we love watching sport and movies, and are budget would be in around €800. we have no interest in internet on tv or 3d or even gaming.

We have a Sony home cinema system at the moment and would be looking to get a blue ray player down the line, but would look for a television that would be best with standard sky and watching dvds.

Any help / suggestions would be great, the choice is mind blowing so a starting point / narrowing of options would be appreciated!

Pete,

thanks a million for the post and the opportunity to quote.

With €800 you will buy a cracking 40" :D

I would start with the Samsung UE40ES5500 at £499.95 / €629.99 which is a cracking Full HD smart TV with 2 USB inputs and of course it's LED.

If you could take a larger size TV - I would hurry up and grab the last of the LG 50PZ550's which are a cracking deal at £499.95 / €669.99 honestly for this money you won't buy a larger better quality TV IMHO.

Really if you don't want smart TV or Web TV I don't think that you would need to spend any more than this on a TV - of course if you do decide that you do want all the toys, please just drop me a line and we will come back to you with some recommendations?

Thanks again,

ATVB,

John Mc & Crew

John McDonald / Managing Director / Richer Sounds Ireland / www.richersounds.ie / johnmc@richersounds.ie

• Closed Accounts Posts: 18,056 ✭✭✭✭BostonB

Thats a Clear Rate Motion 100 which is a true 50Hz. Now it looks ok to me but is it much better with a true 100hz TV?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,474 ✭✭✭Richersounds.ie: Dave

Hi Boston.

The simple answer is yes. A true 100Hz TV is better than a 50Hz one that has been modified although with the way that the manufacturers rate their TV's at the moment, the easiest thing to do is to look at one that is actually 200Hz, which is usually a native 100Hz screen.

Obviously with the improved motion handling, this is likely to push the budget up.

In saying that, the plasma screens have a refresh of 600Hz an above. These handle motion very well and can look more natural than an LED.

Is the 50" that John mentioned in the earlier post, too large ? If it is, then I can send you some details of the LED's that are available.

ATB

Dave

Leave a Comment

Rich Text Editor. To edit a paragraph's style, hit tab to get to the paragraph menu. From there you will be able to pick one style. Nothing defaults to paragraph. An inline formatting menu will show up when you select text. Hit tab to get into that menu. Some elements, such as rich link embeds, images, loading indicators, and error messages may get inserted into the editor. You may navigate to these using the arrow keys inside of the editor and delete them with the delete or backspace key.