Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Sea fishing in Co. Clare with 9yr old - suggestions.

Options
  • 23-07-2012 10:51am
    Registered Users Posts: 757 ✭✭✭

Hi,

My 9yr old nephew is keen to go fishing and we will be down in Co Clare for the Aug bank holiday so looking for some suggestions.

This will be his first time fishing so primary aim is to catch something :-)

I've done quite a bit of mackerel fishing in Cork but never in Clare so that was first though but was hoping to find somewhere relatively safe where I could take him - his parents not going to be happy with him on top of 100ft cliffs etc!

Other option might be some beach fishing (which I've never done) so not really sure how well that will work out.

I do have a beach-caster and a small boat-rod which I was going to give him but any advice appreciated - especially for the beach fishing in terms of bait/lures etc.

Thanks!

Comments

• Hosted Moderators Posts: 4,948 ✭✭✭pullandbang

:D

Don't know the area at all but had to look twice when I saw the title of your thread! Someone using a 9yr old as bait! :eek:

• Registered Users Posts: 757 ✭✭✭DriveSkill

:D

Don't know the area at all but had to look twice when I saw the title of your thread! Someone using a 9yr old as bait! :eek:

Well sometimes I guess you got to try something different to land the big one :D

• Registered Users Posts: 34 OutsideLane

Plenty of mackerel marks in Clare, but where will you be based?

Kilkee - Dunlicky I would not recommend for a 9-y-o jostling with burly for a place to cast into the sea over 100' below, Bridges of Ross a little better, but safety might still be an issue. The pier in Carrigaholt often yields plenty of dogfish at the right times, but you'll need a few mackerel or something else as bait first; it's a place a youngster could master fairly quickly.

If you're in N. Clare then Green Island (between Spanish Point and Lehinch) and Black Head (just N. of Fanore) are well known marks where you'll meet plenty of mackerel at the right time/tide. Others as well - see here: http://www.sea-angling-ireland.org/shore%20-%20clare%20n.htm

Plenty of good beaches for all sorts of fish (flats, bass, etc) all over the Clare coast, but nothing is guaranteed and it's way more difficult fishing.

Enjoy!

• Registered Users Posts: 757 ✭✭✭DriveSkill

Plenty of mackerel marks in Clare, but where will you be based?

Kilkee - Dunlicky I would not recommend for a 9-y-o jostling with burly for a place to cast into the sea over 100' below, Bridges of Ross a little better, but safety might still be an issue. The pier in Carrigaholt often yields plenty of dogfish at the right times, but you'll need a few mackerel or something else as bait first; it's a place a youngster could master fairly quickly.

If you're in N. Clare then Green Island (between Spanish Point and Lehinch) and Black Head (just N. of Fanore) are well known marks where you'll meet plenty of mackerel at the right time/tide. Others as well - see here: http://www.sea-angling-ireland.org/shore%20-%20clare%20n.htm

Plenty of good beaches for all sorts of fish (flats, bass, etc) all over the Clare coast, but nothing is guaranteed and it's way more difficult fishing.

Enjoy!

Thanks - will actually be based in Spanish Point. Where exactly is Green Island - anywhere near White Strand ? I'm reasonably familiar with the road from Spanish Point to Lehinch (used to spend my summers down there but that is 20+ years ago :)) but dont know where Green Island is.

• Registered Users Posts: 34 OutsideLane

DriveSkill wrote: »
    Thanks - will actually be based in Spanish Point. Where exactly is Green Island - anywhere near White Strand ? I'm reasonably familiar with the road from Spanish Point to Lehinch (used to spend my summers down there but that is 20+ years ago :)) but dont know where Green Island is.

How to get to Green Island...? SP to Lehinch road, turn L down small road opposite the Rineen monument. This is a cul-de-sac, but you should find a space to park near/at end of the road. You have to cross a couple of fields to coast and then walk about 500m (NE - toward Moy). The mark is just past a large gully. Fishes best from 2/3 to full tide. As well as mackerel, you may get pollack, conger, etc.

A local (Jack Shine) used to catch shark (mainly porbeagle) at this mark years back. Here's an article wriiten by his friend Kevin Linnane: http://www.irish-trophy-fish.com/articles/kevinl.htm

If you have local contacts, then it's pretty well known locally. So ask around.

Tight lines!

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,200 ✭✭✭BoarHunter

blackhead is good for Maks these days but you'll find them everywhere

• Registered Users Posts: 1,241 ✭✭✭Auldloon

DriveSkill wrote: »

How to get to Green Island...? SP to Lehinch road, turn L down small road opposite the Rineen monument. This is a cul-de-sac, but you should find a space to park near/at end of the road. You have to cross a couple of fields to coast and then walk about 500m (NE - toward Moy). The mark is just past a large gully. Fishes best from 2/3 to full tide. As well as mackerel, you may get pollack, conger, etc.

A local (Jack Shine) used to catch shark (mainly porbeagle) at this mark years back. Here's an article wriiten by his friend Kevin Linnane: http://www.irish-trophy-fish.com/articles/kevinl.htm

If you have local contacts, then it's pretty well known locally. So ask around.

Tight lines!

That's a brilliant story of Jack Shine. Had never heard of the man.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,905 ✭✭✭Chavways

Black Head would probaly be best but the mackerel have been scarce around here lately.

• Registered Users Posts: 10 HenryAt

I know this coast very well; there are a number of save place in which to fish from.
    There is a fishing mark on the sheltered side (Ballyvaughan side) of Blackhead 1/2 mile before the light house (referred to as "The Flats").
    It's easy to find as there's usually a lot of people fishing for mackerel.
    If you would like to fish for big crabs there is great action at "Bishops Quarter" 3 miles before Ballyvaughan, on the Galway side. (Very sheltered mark)
    These places are relatively safer than the marks on the Atlantic side.
    Tip; Use a German sprat tied to three coloured feathers will catch most species.
    Use less hooks with your sons.
    Maybe a clear bubble float/sinker with a sandeel/mackerel as it will help against snags.
    There's a great fishing tackle shop in Fanore village beside O'Donoghue's Pub, it' 4/5 miles south of Blackhead.
    Best of luck & tight lines!

• Registered Users Posts: 1,905 ✭✭✭Chavways

HenryAt wrote: »
    I know this coast very well; there are a number of save place in which to fish from. There is a fishing mark on the sheltered side (Ballyvaughan side) of Blackhead 1/2 mile before the light house (referred to as "The Flats"). It's easy to find as there's usually a lot of people fishing for mackerel. If you would like to fish for big crabs there is great action at "Bishops Quarter" 3 miles before Ballyvaughan, on the Galway side. (Very sheltered mark)
    These places are relatively safer than the marks on the Atlantic side.
    Tip; Use a German sprat tied to three coloured feathers will catch most species. Use less hooks with your sons. Maybe a clear bubble float/sinker with a sandeel/mackerel as it will help against snags.
    There's a great fishing tackle shop in Fanore village beside O'Donoghue's Pub, it' 4/5 miles south of Blackhead.
    Best of luck & tight lines!

Have to agree with this.Bishops Quarter is packed with crabs.Just put some limpets in a sock and dump it over the bridge.Hundreds of crabs come out of nowhere.A 9 year old would love it.

And Michael is the name of the man in the fishing shop.He knows his stuff and he's always good to give me a deal anyway. Theres a great range of stuff there. The Flats would be best as long as it isnt packed.

• Advertisement
Advertisement