Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

BER attic conversion

• 23-07-2012 11:08am
    Registered Users Posts: 25

Hi,
    My understanding is:

1. For a habitable attic conversion, you need BER re-done. For a non-habitable attic conversion you don't. For a habitable attic conversion you need to get planning permission. So what happens if you follow all the conditions for a habitable attic but do nothing that requires planning permission and don't get planning permission?

2. In order to ensure your attic conversion does not f up your BER what sort of things should you have in your attic conversion?
    - What type of velux windows?
    - What type of insulation?
    - What type of heating?
    - Anything else?

Comments

• Subscribers Posts: 41,915 ✭✭✭✭sydthebeat

attic wrote: »
    Hi,
    For a habitable attic conversion you need to get planning permission.

thats very debatable.
    AFAIK there have been many cases where Bord Pleanala has ruled that attic conversions have been exempt, once they do not alter the external facade so as to render them incompatible with surrounding buildings.

how could an attic conversion "f" up a BER? Its not a pass or fail exam...!!!
    The conversion still needs to comply with building regs and minimum standards.

• Registered Users Posts: 25 attic

sydthebeat wrote: »
    thats very debatable.
    AFAIK there have been many cases where Bord Pleanala has ruled that attic conversions have been exempt, once they do not alter the external facade so as to render them incompatible with surrounding buildings.

how could an attic conversion "f" up a BER? Its not a pass or fail exam...!!!
    The conversion still needs to comply with building regs and minimum standards.

Say house is B2, B1. Attic conversation comes along and brings it down to a C.
    Sorry if this posted somewhere else but what are the building regs for attics? And since most attic conversations are done by tradesmen rather than Chartered Engineers, how can I be 100% sure they are adhered to?

attic wrote: »
    1.Say house is B2, B1. Attic conversation comes along and brings it down to a C.

2. Sorry if this posted somewhere else but what are the building regs for attics?

3. And since most attic conversations are done by tradesmen rather than Chartered Engineers, how can I be 100% sure they are adhered to?

you are increasing the floor area, but in turn you are including better elemental u values to the heat loss areas.

1. the best way to ensure no reduction in rating is to get the proposed works assessed prior to commencement.... therefore if something needs to be altered / upgraded it can be done at that stage... its called "planning".

2. TGD L 2011

3. You hire a tradesman to carry out the work that an architect / engineer has specified and designed. You also engage the designer to check the works sufficiently. Thats how you ensure 100% adherence.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 165 ✭✭shane6977

You might already have this leaflet, but if not it gives a good outline of the requirements for an attic conversion.

• Registered Users Posts: 9 No7

Why are you concerned about changing the BER?

Are you renting or sellling after the conversion? if so then you will need a new BER. However if you are not then leave as is until you are.

In any event the cost of a BER is so low that it would be way below 1% of the costs of the conversion.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 25 attic

No7 wrote: »
    Why are you concerned about changing the BER?

Are you renting or sellling after the conversion? if so then you will need a new BER. However if you are not then leave as is until you are.

In any event the cost of a BER is so low that it would be way below 1% of the costs of the conversion.

House is B1 don't want to loose it.

Basically, you don't need another one if attic is considered uninhabitable. For an attic to be habitable 50% of your floor space must be 8feet. Very few attic conversions fall into this.

However, would still like to ensure insulation is top quality. so need to figure out how much insulation I need. Was thinking 100 mm Kingspan or 150 mm. Not sure.

Will research it.

Attic,

Just wondering where did you get your definition of a habitable room?

A habitable room is defined in TGD F 2009 as:

"A room in a dwelling used for living or sleeping purposes but does not include a kitchen having a floor area of less than 6.5 m2."

TGD F also shows a diagram (which I think may be the source of your definition?) which basically shows half the floor area having a height of 2.4m (approx. 8ft). However, this diagram is merely suggesting a height for habitable rooms, not determining whether an attic space is habitatable or not!

In regards to BER assessments, there are a different set of parameters which determine if an attic space is habitable and should be included in the calculation:

1. Accessed by a fixed stairs
    2. Part of the ceiling at least 2m from floor wall.
    3. Finished internal surfaces (as opposed to exposed joists and/or rafters)
    4. Lighting installed and/or rooflights or windows
    5. Structural members not preventing free movement
    6. Water cistern not present in the attic room

Also, where the attic space is “clearly and effectively” used as a habitable space, even if the ceiling is lower than 2m it is considered habitable for BER assessments.

shane6977 wrote: »

TGD F also shows a diagram (which I think may be the source of your definition?) which basically shows half the area AT A HEIGHT OF 1.5 M having a height of 2.4m (approx. 8ft).

I added in an important aspect.

sydthebeat wrote: »
    I added in an important aspect.

You're bang on there....forgot to mention that!

shane6977 wrote: »
    2. Part of the ceiling at least 2m from floor wall.

Just reread my post: should read "Part of the ceiling at least 2m from floor level".

• Advertisement
Advertisement