Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Aritech CS350 open PIR and PA zones

Options
  • 23-07-2012 11:19am
    Registered Users Posts: 23

After replacing the battery to correct a "Low Battery" error, the system now detects that both PIR and PA zones are open when I try to arm it.

I don't really understand how either of these zones can appear "open" and would welcome any suggestions as to what steps I should take to further diagnose and eventually resolve this problem. As I'm not familiar with alarms, please keep it simple for me.

Thanks in advance for any assistance.

P.

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,250 ✭✭✭Thunderbird2

When you were changing the battery did you hit off any wires? Most likely a loose wire at the panel

• Registered Users Posts: 23 Pablo007

Not that I'm aware of. I changed the battery very carefully. I will however have a closer look later.

One thing I did however notice when I removed the control box cover, was some soot-like blackening on the inside of the cover.

• Moderators, Home & Garden Moderators, Technology & Internet Moderators Posts: 24,789 Mod ✭✭✭✭KoolKid

And is the LED still coming on when you walk by the PiR. Also check the Panic button has not been pressed down?
    After that, do you have a multi meter?

The PIR LED lights up when I pass in front of it. I have two PAs, neither of which are stuck in a pressed-down position.

Forgive my unfamiliarity, but what's a multi-meter?

• Registered Users Posts: 6,827 ✭✭✭fred funk }{

Could be a short between two resistors in the panel. Make sure all connections in the panel aren't touching off each other.

• Advertisement

There are no unsheathed wires touching.

• Moderators, Home & Garden Moderators, Technology & Internet Moderators Posts: 24,789 Mod ✭✭✭✭KoolKid

I am guessing these are zones 5 & 6 .
    Disconnect the zones 1 by 1 & reconnect them one by one . Check each time does the other zone always stay open. Are there any resistors in the panel?

You're spot on, 5 is the PIR and the PA is 6.

I guess you mean disconnect zones 5 and 6. How do I disconnect a zone and how do I know which ones are zones 5 and 6?

Here's what I think the answers are...Looking at the attached image there are blue electrical connectors numbered 1 to 32 (from top to bottom). To disconnect zones 5 and 6 as you specified, I just open the connecting screw numbered 5 and and pull out its wire, and later do the same thing with connecting screw number 6? Connecting screw number 6 has two wires attached which is consistent with the fact that I have two PAs. By the way, should I have the mains turned off first?

There any lots of resistors on the board. On the attached image you'll see some of them to the right of the electrical connector block.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 8,704 ✭✭✭squod

Pablo007 wrote: »
    You're spot on, 5 is the PIR and the PA is 6.

I guess you mean disconnect zones 5 and 6. How do I disconnect a zone and how do I know which ones are zones 5 and 6?

Here's what I think the answers are...Looking at the attached image there are blue electrical connectors numbered 1 to 32 (from top to bottom). To disconnect zones 5 and 6 as you specified, I just open the connecting screw numbered 5 and and pull out its wire, and later do the same thing with connecting screw number 6? Connecting screw number 6 has two wires attached which is consistent with the fact that I have two PAs. By the way, should I have the mains turned off first?

There any lots of resistors on the board. On the attached image you'll see some of them to the right of the electrical connector block.

Don't disconnect the terminals numbered 5 or 6. There should a label on the back of the lid you just took off. It will tell you where znes 5 & 6 are.

From your first post you said you changed a battery on the panel? Could have done some damage like.

I reckon you should power down. Switch the mains off at the fuse board and remove one of the battery clips. Wait a few seconds.

Then

Put the battery back on, then switch on the mains. Enter your user code to disarm and see if the problem disappears. If it doesn't call an engineer.

Wouldn't say there's any need for an engineer ... Besides it seems as though the op wants to sort it themself ...

• Advertisement

The zones start from the bottom up. 21 22 is zone 6, 23 24 is zone 5.
    I'd be interested to see if you disconnect zone 6 is zone 5 still open and vice versa.

Thanks guys. I'll try your suggestions this evening. For information, I attach a diagram that shows the terminals for zones 5 and 6. This also shows a resistor down at the end of this terminal block (at terminals 25 and 26).

Follow where the blue and white cables are going under the board and see if there's a connection there with resistors in it. Check for a short.

Are you suggesting I take the board off to be able to look/get behind it?

Pablo007 wrote: »
    Are you suggesting I take the board off to be able to look/get behind it?

No, sometimes installers will tuck the connections in under the board to keep them out of the way. If you follow the blue and white cables that are wired into zones 5 & 6 you might see a connector with resistors in it.

If you remove the battery you should be able to see behind the board :)

Okay, here's what happened...

1. I disconnected and reconnected both zones 5 and 6. 05 PIR no longer showed as an open zone, but 06 PA did.

2. I then disconnected zone 5 (leaving zone 6 connected). Both 05 PIR and 06 PA showed as open zones.

3. I reconnected zone 5. 05 PIR no longer showed as an open zone, but 06 PA still did.

I was planning to reverse step 2, but a visit from a neighbour because of all the ringing persuaded me to call it a night.

Later I found that 05 PIR shows as an open zone once only, the first time I display open zones? 06 PA shows as an open zone repeatedly.

Something else I noticed is that when I clear the Engineer Log and exit out till I get to Goodbye showing on the display panel, I'm left with that text on the display. If I confirm by pressing the Tick button, this triggers the alarm to sound?

So we are down to zone 6. Wire in at the panel and open the panic button and close off the cables there.

Hi KoolKid,

You'll have to break that down for me as I don't really understand what you're asking me to do.

Thanks in advance.

Open the panic button, disconnect the pair and join one strand to each leg of one resistor .

• Advertisement

I've got 2 PAs. So you want me to open them one at a time, disconnect both wires...and then what? It's the "join one strand to each leg of one resistor" that I don't understand.

Are both on the one zone? Are you sure there is no connection in the panel with resistors ?

On fred funk }{'s advice, I followed the pairs of wires in the control box that are connected to zones 5 and 6 and none have resistors attached. I believe both PAs are on the one zone (06).

Can you open both PA and post up a pic of both.

I will do...that'll be a little later this evening.

No bother. Ill talk you through closing them off once I see that.

Attached is an image of the two PAs.

The resistors must be in a junction somewhere.
    Anyway, on each one disconnect the black and white wires and join them together.

Okay, just to be sure I have this right. The steps as I understand, are:

1. Disconnect the battery.
    2. Open PA 1.
    3. Disconnect the black and white wires from their terminals, join them and leave them loose.
    4. Close PA 1.
    5. Repeat steps 2 to 4 for PA 2.
    6. Reconnect the battery.

Can you please confirm I've got this right Kool Kid? Thanks in advance.

• Advertisement

Correct . But no need to do anything with the battery.

Advertisement