Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

UCD Symphony Orchestra As an Elective?

Options
  • 23-07-2012 11:57am
    Closed Accounts Posts: 157 ✭✭

I hope to get onto the Commerce course in September, but as a Student of the Business School can I take the UCDSO as a Horizons Elective?

Any feedback will be much appreciated!

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 10 fremont9

Maybe I've been around too long. Is the Horizons elective your bog standard elective. If so you don't have to be in the school of music to take it. People from every sort of course take it. Basically you can take any module in any discipline as an elective providing you meet the prerequisites and it doesn't clash with any of your cores. The best thing about the orchestra elective is that you can take it as many times as you like. I think I've used it as my elective once a year. There is an audition though. You have to head up to the school of music office on the top floor of the arts block to fill out an application form.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,656 ✭✭✭C14N

I have a friend who took it as an elective and really liked it. You do have to pass an audition but as long as you're competent it seems like you get on. I'm assuming you're a level eight on your instrument of choice simply because you're asking.

You almost definitely can take it, the only reason you may not be able to is if it clashes with your commerce timetable. I doubt it would since commerce has short enough hours (around 15 a week) but just be ready to have a backup elective.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 157 ✭✭charliehotel

C14N wrote: »
    I have a friend who took it as an elective and really liked it. You do have to pass an audition but as long as you're competent it seems like you get on. I'm assuming you're a level eight on your instrument of choice simply because you're asking.

You almost definitely can take it, the only reason you may not be able to is if it clashes with your commerce timetable. I doubt it would since commerce has short enough hours (around 15 a week) but just be ready to have a backup elective.

All this sounds just great! :)

Thanks! :)

• Closed Accounts Posts: 157 ✭✭charliehotel

C14N wrote: »
    since commerce has short enough hours (around 15 a week).

Off-topic, but do you know the weekly hours that Commerce International has? Specifically the new curriculum

• Registered Users Posts: 2,656 ✭✭✭C14N

Off-topic, but do you know the weekly hours that Commerce International has? Specifically the new curriculum

No, not sure. I think it might be closer to 20 though, it's definitely a little longer.

• Advertisement
Advertisement