Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Lidl petrol strimmer

Options
  • 23-07-2012 12:18pm
    Moderators, Home & Garden Moderators, Regional Midwest Moderators, Regional West Moderators Posts: 16,724 Mod ✭✭✭✭

Folks
    Seen this today. Any thoughts please on whether it's good or bad? Don't have a strimmer but have to strim around 200ft of edging along fence and wall every couple of months in summer.

http://www.lidl.ie/cps/rde/xchg/lidl_ri_ie/hs.xsl/index_23001.htm

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 3,422 ✭✭✭Avns1s

IMO you'd be better off getting one from a proper tool hire / sales shop. I have seen loads of these aldi and lidl petrol driven tools and they are inferior. Clutches in particular seem to be a weak point and parts are not available. Fine if it packs in during the warranty but otherwise.....! They are not up to any amount of work. You basically get what you pay for. At least if you buy from a tool hire place, you know that if something breaks, the parts will be able to be sourced.

Having said that the lidl and aldi electric power tools are better than the petrol driven stuff again in my opinion. (Just in case someone comes back saying that all their tools are excellent and by extrapolation, these items should be top class.)

• Registered Users Posts: 1,726 ✭✭✭gerryk

For the same price, all you're going to get in a 'proper shop' is one of the rubbish little two-strokers with the no-name chinese or italian motors. At least in the Lidl situation, you have a three year warranty, so in the inevitable case of failure you have some recourse.

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 5,737 ✭✭✭MidlandsM

....and excellent recourse. The warranty claims lidl do are top nothch, no messing about, they sort you out in jig time.

I have to say that lidls garden equip is good. I've a florabest chainsaw, bought it for €99, and its made by husquevarna..........I wonder is this a husky make item? any one know?

• Moderators, Home & Garden Moderators, Regional Midwest Moderators, Regional West Moderators Posts: 16,724 Mod ✭✭✭✭yop

MidlandsM wrote: »
    ....and excellent recourse. The warranty claims lidl do are top nothch, no messing about, they sort you out in jig time.

I have to say that lidls garden equip is good. I've a florabest chainsaw, bought it for €99, and its made by husquevarna..........I wonder is this a husky make item? any one know?

Ok, so have we 2 votes for the strimmer and 1 against! :)

Has anyone actually used them or bought them :)

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 15,858 ✭✭✭✭paddy147

yop wrote: »
    Ok, so have we 2 votes for the strimmer and 1 against! :)

Has anyone actually used them or bought them :)

I rekon you should buy 1 and test it out for all us boardies here.

Go on,you know you want to.;):D

• Advertisement

Avns1s wrote: »
    At least if you buy from a tool hire place, you know that if something breaks, the parts will be able to be sourced.

Exactly how sure are you of that though??

• Registered Users Posts: 1,429 ✭✭✭Cedrus

One thing Lidl are defo crap at is the consumables, and that means you'll be hand winding all your strimmer reels which will never be as good as factory wound and is a right pain sometimes.

• Moderators, Home & Garden Moderators, Regional Midwest Moderators, Regional West Moderators Posts: 16,724 Mod ✭✭✭✭yop

paddy147 wrote: »
    I rekon you should buy 1 and test it out for all us boardies here.

Go on,you know you want to.;):D

No need to be uncivil Patrick :P:D

I think I will buy it today if its there when I get to town! I will be after ye feckers with the big blade on if it doesn't work! :D

• Registered Users Posts: 12,313 ✭✭✭✭Sam Kade

I bought a strimmer of my local plant hire 3 years ago for €150 secondhand as the sell them off every October. No problems with it and it is a reliable brand.

I hear they do good deals same but to be very honest I really need one now and I don't have access to one.

• Advertisement

No need to be uncivil Patrick :P:D

I think I will buy it today if its there when I get to town! I will be after ye feckers with the big blade on if it doesn't work! :D

:P...(runs for the hills...if it dont work).;):D

All joking aside..I have lots of Lidl and Aldi garden tools and power tools,and aint never had no problem with them.

The petrol chainsaw is the mutts nutts.

Sam Kade wrote: »
    I bought a strimmer of my local plant hire 3 years ago for €150 secondhand as the sell them off every October. No problems with it and it is a reliable brand.

let's discuss like for like.....you made a 2nd hand purchase ;)

It will be a repeat of the Texas chainsaw massacre this evening ***

** Disclaimer - It won't be texas and it will be a strimmer, also these might be sold out when I get in there! :D

It will be a repeat of the Texas chainsaw massacre this evening ***

** Disclaimer - It won't be texas and it will be a strimmer, also these might be sold out when I get in there! :D

All sold out since 9am in the 2 stores I went to. Pity that.

• Registered Users Posts: 14,907 ✭✭✭✭CJhaughey

Its cheap for a large capacity (43cc) strimmer, comes with three different heads, cheapish bump feed, OK'ish 4 tooth head and a triwing which are excellent.
    Its heavy and has cowhorn bars which make it more suitable for trimming large areas rather than small corners and around trees and shrubs.
    Split shaft probably for ease of transport to the shop rather than adding attachments.
    This is a big heavy powerful strimmer, and lots of people are going to buy it and find that its awkward and tiring to use.
    If they use a steel blade they will quickly receive an education when they find a stone, line is safer if you aren't used to it.
    For most people a D handle trimmer <30cc would be a much better buy IMHO.

• Registered Users Posts: 12,313 ✭✭✭✭Sam Kade

MidlandsM wrote: »
    let's discuss like for like.....you made a 2nd hand purchase ;)
    Sorry for the suggestion usually people buying their items from lidl want a bargain, I would consider a secondhand known brand for 150 a bargain.

Sorry for the suggestion usually people buying their items from lidl want a bargain, I would consider a secondhand known brand for 150 a bargain.

Sam, why are you apologising for making a suggestion? I did'nt say or imply you could'nt make a suggestion, but just said lets discuss like for like item discussion is all ;)

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,520 ✭✭✭eirator

Wife went to get one this morning there before opening 18 people in the queue in front of her waiting to buy them and only 6 in the shop :(

Why havent you named the "well known brand" then,if its a bargain at 150 euro 2nd hand?:confused:

Well since I am now in the market :)

I would be dealing with cutting around a lot of trees and beds to a D handle is probably better?

Cheers

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 14,907 ✭✭✭✭CJhaughey

Well since I am now in the market :)

I would be dealing with cutting around a lot of trees and beds to a D handle is probably better?

Cheers
    I find them more controllable for fine work personally.
    I have two strimmers, a 40cc cow horn Tanaka with a steel tri-wing head and a 27cc Maruyama D-handle with line.
    Horses for courses, 40cc handles heavy grass, blackberry, saplings etc with the right blade.
    27cc for fine work around trees and beds.

I was in Lidl in Naas today, none to be seem......lots of chainsaws and other stuff.:pac:

Advertisement