Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

College Student/ Young Adult horse owner

Options
  • 23-07-2012 12:29pm
    Registered Users Posts: 498 ✭✭

Just wondering if anybody here supports a horse by themselves with a part time job? I already have some money put away that I can buy the horse and some necessities with. I then hope to have a part time job to fund the livery with, is this an unrealistic goal? Could I earn 200-300 per month with only a part time job? My parents may supply the last 100 for me if I earn the majority on my own.

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 1,010 ✭✭✭marley123

Hi, I suppose the big factor to look at is would you be able to cover unforseen costs in Vet Bills, also Shoes every couple of wks - Our Livery is X a month but every month their seems to be ad ons, silly things like paying for rug repair etc.. Also if you want to compete you need to factor in Transport & Show fees...

• Registered Users Posts: 331 ✭✭silverfox88

Meeeee!!! I'm 23 and I've had my own horses since i started college 5 years ago, have always paid my own livery/shoes/show fees etc on a part time job. It can be done! If you're in Dublin like me obviously livery costs are higher but it is doable! I've a load of tips I've picked up over the years to keep costs down so PM me if you need any advice!

• Registered Users Posts: 498 ✭✭FueledByAisling

marley123 wrote: »
    Hi, I suppose the big factor to look at is would you be able to cover unforseen costs in Vet Bills, also Shoes every couple of wks - Our Livery is X a month but every month their seems to be ad ons, silly things like paying for rug repair etc.. Also if you want to compete you need to factor in Transport & Show fees...

I obviously won't be buying a horse without enough funding. I hope to get a part time job to be able to pay on a month to month basis with extra money left over for the extra costs. If I did fall short my parents would supply the money no problem what so ever, it's just I want to try and fund it by myself mainly

• Registered Users Posts: 4,281 ✭✭✭Valentina

I'm using savings to buy a new horse and will be using my wages to fund weekly livery and expenses. I think it's certainly doable, my livery is quite cheap (as liveries go) and I am going to try save the same amount every week to pay for shoes/vaccs/insurance etc as they crop up.

You can save money too by buying some things second hand or waiting for sales (Holmestead have a travelling sale or the last day of the RDS can be good for picking up things. Ebay as well.) Repurpose items too - I keep my pony's grooming kit and bandages in a large wheely tool box I got in B&Q for under €20. A similar "groom's box" was over 40 quid in my local saddlers. You can look online for other ideas on saving money. Just buy things when you need them too, there is so much equipment out there but may be totally unnecessary for what you want to do.

I'm hoping too to maybe do a horse share down the line which would help cover some of the costs.

Hope this is some help. Best of luck in your search for a horse. :)

• Registered Users Posts: 13 oh_be_the_hokey

I'm wondering the same. I have a friend who takes in abandoned or mistreated horses and am hoping to rehome one from her but I'll be in college mon- fri full time for a year. I've tried & so far failed, to get a yard in Dublin to take me on in exchange for diy livery as I don't know how I could fit in college, coursework, part time job AND a horse. Any tips?? I'm really starting to think it's impossible.

• Advertisement
Advertisement