Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Help with a virus on a laptop ?

• 23-07-2012 12:38pm
    Registered Users Posts: 226 ✭✭

On my windows laptop, it seems to have gone crazy.

I can't operate it properly anymore because of this so called anti-virus pop up thing.
    Its so annoying. When I "x" it, it comes up again and again and persits on doing a virus search and tells me my laptop has loads of viruses and to continue I must pay money.

Its so annoying and it is ruining my life. Feel like trowing the laptop against the wall. Spent €80 on a crap virus CD but has only seemed to have made things worse :(

I just want it back to smooth no pop up operations.

When I turn it on, the pops up come up straight away

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,000 ✭✭✭mitosis

The popup is from the malware. What does it call itself?

• Site Banned Posts: 1,167 ✭✭✭ASJ112

can you do this

Download OTL to your Desktop
    • Double click on the icon to run it. Make sure all other windows are closed and to let it run uninterrupted.
    • Click the Quick Scan button. Do not change any settings. The scan wont take long.
    • When the scan completes, it will open two notepad windows. OTL.Txt and Extras.Txt. These are saved in the same location as OTL.
    • Please copy (Edit->Select All, Edit->Copy) the contents of these files here

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,813 ✭✭✭clintondaly

It seems like the Anti-Virus popup is the virus.
    You need to get a copy of Malware Bytes onto a usb stick start the PC in sfae mode and run the malware Bytes this normally will find a virus like that.

If you click on the Anti Virus popup does it direct you to a website or is it the genuine Anti Virus thats giving you the warnings?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,163 ✭✭✭yeppydeppy

Malware bytes anti-malware is your friend

• Registered Users Posts: 226 ✭✭Jesus Nut

The virus is smart!

It wont let me google or search for other anti-virus providers!

I think its a fake windows malware? It gives the impression its a windows yoke but I know its a fake. It even comes up as a little icon down in the right hand cornor of my screen beside the battery indicator, speaker icon etc.

It just keeps poppping up GRRRrrrrrrrrr..

Most anoying thing ever.

I think I will have to buy a new laptop.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,000 ✭✭✭mitosis

Do as ASJ suggests. You may need to use a usb stick and another PC to download.

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 11 vutshuvo

do not delay... try to upgrade your anti virous

• Registered Users Posts: 38 paddybongo

Go and download Rkill from another pc to a usb stick,download all the rkill links the malweare might recognized some of them but not them all.let it run and stop malweare process(,DO NOT RESTART PC)Then you can download malwearbyts and clean your PC.:cool:

http://www.bleepingcomputer.com/download/rkill/

RKill is a program that was developed at BleepingComputer.com that attempts to terminate known malware processes so that your normal security software can then run and clean your computer of infections. When RKill runs it will kill malware processes and then import a Registry file that removes incorrect file associations and fixes policies that stop us from using certain tools. When finished it will display a log file that shows the processes that were terminated while the program was running.

As RKill only terminates a program's running process, and does not delete any files, after running it you should not reboot your computer as any malware processes that are configured to start automatically will just be started again. Instead, after running RKill you should immediately scan your computer using some sort of anti-malware or anti-virus program so that the infections can be properly removed.

Below are a list of RKill download links using different filenames. We offer RKill under different filenames because some malware will not allow processes to run unless they have a certain filename. Therefore when attempting to run RKill, if a malware terminates it please try a different filename offered below.

Advertisement