Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Getting Money back off Selfcatering.ie

Options
  • 23-07-2012 1:03pm
    Registered Users Posts: 62 ✭✭

Hi,

Not sure if I am posting in the right place or not.

Like a lot more I have been stung by Selfcatering.ie. I paid 660 Euro to them back last Feburary via Debit Card. I have been told that if you paid by Credit Card you are ensured, does the same apply to Debit Card and if so how do you go about claiming.

Comments

• Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators Posts: 23,220 Mod ✭✭✭✭godtabh

Eblana12 wrote: »
    Hi,

Like a lot more I have been stung by Selfcatering.ie. I paid 660 Euro to them back last Feburary via Debit Card. I have been told that if you paid by Credit Card you are ensured, does the same apply to Debit Card and if so how do you go about claiming.

i'm not 100% sure. if its laser its like paying in cash. if its visa debt you might get something

• Registered Users Posts: 7,674 ✭✭✭GerardKeating

Hi,

You need to ask your bank, but normally one cannot do a chargeback on a debit card. You might even had had a problem if you paid by creditcard, there is a time limit for chargebacks, some banks will only allow them within 60/90 days.

• Registered Users Posts: 7,265 ✭✭✭RangeR

Do you have Travel Insurance?

• Registered Users Posts: 6,315 ✭✭✭ballooba

Aren't PayPal transactions protected too? I read an article in the Indo over the weekend about a couple out of pocket who paid by PayPal and was surprised.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 6,224 ✭✭✭Procrastastudy

Credit cards ect are protected under the SOGASOSA - I know its legislation but that one always gets mentioned - I think you'll be pretty stuck if you paid by laser. Have they gone under?

• Advertisement

Credit cards ect are protected under the SOGASOSA - I know its legislation but that one always gets mentioned - I think you'll be pretty stuck if you paid by laser. Have they gone under?

All over the news since about Friday. KrrrSplat...

Ahhh! +1 on the travel insurance. Where they not covered by one of the scheme's of if we go belly up you get your money back. Like ABTA or the Irish equivalent.

• Registered Users Posts: 62 ✭✭Eblana12

I rang the bank as advised above and no I amn't covered for laser payments. I probably wouldn't have been covered for Credit Card either as they apparanently stopped taking Credit Cards a couple of weeks after I booked and had recently been looking for cheques/money orders. According to the Consumers Association they are not covered by any scheme, typically there are now calls for all holiday rental firms to be bonded (shutting the gate after the horse has bolted!!). I have multitrip insurance alright will check that out and see what happens.

Good luck OP let us know what happens with the Travel insurance.

Still waiting to hear back from insurance but it looks doubtful as the holiday hasn't been cancelled, the property owner still has it available and will hold it for me but I have to pay another 500 Euro for it. I am just wondering what the situation is in relation to Creditors meetings, the email that I got says that there will be a creditors meeting for suppliers, surely I and all the others who paid in full for holidays and didn't receive them are also creditors and therefore should be at the creditors meeting as well.

• Advertisement

Still waiting to hear back from insurance but it looks doubtful as the holiday hasn't been cancelled, the property owner still has it available and will hold it for me but I have to pay another 500 Euro for it. I am just wondering what the situation is in relation to Creditors meetings, the email that I got says that there will be a creditors meeting for suppliers, surely I and all the others who paid in full for holidays and didn't receive them are also creditors and therefore should be at the creditors meeting as well.

The holiday has been cancelled., per say. Your contract was with Selfcatering.ie, not the house. The contract was cancelled as soon as they went bust.
    EDIT : My views are from a legally unqualified point of view

Sods law, just discovered my policy lapsed on the 4th July, my OH didn't renew because we weren't going away on holidays!

I wonder if anyone will investigate this company because they appear to have been in trouble for sometime now and they put processes in place to disadvantage the consumer during that time - they had started only accepting cheques/EFT's so no-one had any comeback. At the time that I booked I had thought I was only paying a booking deposit (the site said proceed to pay deposit) and it was only when I went to get money out of my account that weekend that I discovered that they had taken the total amount I hadn't done anything about it because I decided that at least it meant that it was all paid for and I wouldn't have to worry about it unfortunately now I have got to worry about it.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,998 ✭✭✭lynchie

You need to ask your bank, but normally one cannot do a chargeback on a debit card. You might even had had a problem if you paid by creditcard, there is a time limit for chargebacks, some banks will only allow them within 60/90 days.

Point 2 on Bank of Ireland's Visa Debit Transaction Dispute Form covers liquidation

http://personalbanking.bankofireland.com/fs/doc/wysiwyg/4-1015r-visa-debit-transaction-dispute-form.pdf

They haven't moved me to Visa Debit yet, still on older Laser card and the rules don't seem to be the same for that but I will check again just in case.

Advertisement