Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Some news re MK3'S

2»

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 937 ✭✭✭Rud

Karsini wrote: »
    I managed to get one of the brake lever covers from 185 before she was scrapped. Might see if I can get the old route map from a Mark 3. :D

If you can get your hands on the exit plan layout also i'll gladly take it off ya!!

071railfan wrote: »

I wonder would IE agree to let one or two photographers access to Drogheada or Waterford for a day to survey the coaches?

Not much chance of getting into the yard in Waterford unless you play county hurling and you want to smash up some beer bottles for a mobile phone company!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 13,247 ✭✭✭✭Losty Dublin

I was just wondering if anyone has heard if any of the coaches are going to go to preservation groups. Jackie Whaaayyylan of the WRC has been taking alot of stuff of late such as a bubble cement wagon and a 4 wheel ballast wagon so one or two might end up there to be used on the proposed 1600mm line to kilkee. He has a few mk 2s that he plans to make into sort of hostel/camping units for visiting enthusiasts so a a mk 3 would be a nice addition. He could charge extra for the additional comfort!!!!

There are plans to earmark a few 3's for presevation and no it doesn't have to be done by Jackie Whelan. However, it will take money to put up ]the purchase price and movement fees.
    I really hope someone preserved a Mk3, preferably running - it would be a real shame if it were no longer possible to ride in a Mk 3 coach.

To preserve one, a brake van will also need to be preseved along with fitting a locomotive with a door control system. Also, an air braked locomotive needs to be found to haul them, of which there are non mainline passed as of yet.
    What is needed now is a good photo survey of a few of the better coaches. I wonder would IE agree to let one or two photographers access to Drogheada or Waterford for a day to survey the coaches?

Highly unlikely, almost a nil chance. There are loads of inside shots online as it is.
    After this, there really is very little left for enthusiasts in Ireland. Once the 071s go there will be nothing of note left. Mk 4s and ICRs are in no way interesting at all, not to me anyway.

Apart from Downpatrick, West Clare, Cultra, Dunsandle, RPSI's Dublin and Belfast operations, IRRS trips, the ITG, Hells Kitchen, Bushmills, Fintown, Dromod, Kiltimagh, Clonakilty, Headhunters, Belturbet, Fintown, Donegal, Foyle Valley, Waterford and Suir and Stradbally, no there is nothing left for enthusiasts :rolleyes:

• Closed Accounts Posts: 13,549 ✭✭✭✭Judgement Day

Apart from Downpatrick, West Clare, Cultra, Dunsandle, RPSI's Dublin and Belfast operations, IRRS trips, the ITG, Hells Kitchen, Bushmills, Fintown, Dromod, Kiltimagh, Clonakilty, Headhunters, Belturbet, Fintown, Donegal, Foyle Valley, Waterford and Suir and Stradbally, no there is nothing left for enthusiasts :rolleyes:

I think he meant very little that's still running that's of any interest. Personally I have no interest in preserved MkIIIs - horrible!

As for your list - what would anybody go to look at in Kiltimagh where two carriages are returning to nature.

kiltimagh1.jpg

Clonakilty is another bad joke where a Ruston 'steam' locomotive and two carriages are also rotting away.

WestCorkModelRailway.jpg

I won't mention the scrapyard in .....

I think he meant very little that's still running that's of any interest. Personally I have no interest in preserved MkIIIs - horrible!

As for your list - what would anybody go to look at in Kiltimagh where two carriages are returning to nature.

Clonakilty is another bad joke where a Ruston 'steam' locomotive and two carriages are also rotting away.

I won't mention the scrapyard in .....

Ah yeah sorry JD, my mistake, he much be one of the noble photographer class. Preseve it until he has enough shots for the Flickr account. Money no object; he'll even throw in a few bob himself :)

I managed to get one of the brake lever covers from 185 before she was scrapped. Might see if I can get the old route map from a Mark 3. :D

Exhibit A:

214756.JPG

Rud wrote: »
    If you can get your hands on the exit plan layout also i'll gladly take it off ya!!

Is this the one? I'll see what I can do.

Is this the one? I'll see what I can do.

That's the one!!I always thought it's a great sign

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,240 ✭✭✭CaptainSkidmark

Rud wrote: »
    That's the one!!I always thought it's a great sign

IM nearly sure i still have one at home, it randomy came home with us back in my coollege days on a night out

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 3,073 ✭✭✭gobnaitolunacy

I was just wondering if anyone has heard if any of the coaches are going to go to preservation groups. Jackie Whaaayyylan of the WRC has been taking alot of stuff of late .

Dromod MkII, another scrapyard....

IM nearly sure i still have one at home, it randomy came home with us back in my coollege days on a night out

Well if you're looking to part ways with it i'd gladly take it off your hands!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 17,733 ✭✭✭✭corktina

news of these scrappings caused consternation when I reported it on the Mark Three Cortina forum... tee hee

corktina wrote: »
    news of these scrappings caused consternation when I reported it on the Mark Three Cortina forum... tee hee

Give me a Transit anyday :D

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 7,729 ✭✭✭Millem

134da07a.jpg

Was down in north wall earlier, and with a bit of assistance from the crossbar on my bike managed to get to a height that allowed me to photograph the mk3s there.

Not a pretty sight. Not sure how good the pic illustrates, but 6105 was in utter ****e. The others are much the same. Don't want to be overly negative, but all that awaits these fine bastions of our rail network appears to be the dreaded torch.

More photos in my photobucket account

Here's 2 more, apologies for quality

9fa88235.jpg

c89db629.jpg

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 10,212 ✭✭✭✭Oscar Bravo

There soooo faded,what a shame....

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 29,195 ✭✭✭✭end of the road

may the ghosts of these carriges haunt dick fearn and the rest of the current senior management in IE for all eternity

I'm very highly educated. I know words, i have the best words, nobody has better words then me.

I know it's been trotted out a billion times here but it is particularly lamentable that the push pulls were culled. I can understand the logic behind getting rid of mk3 guard operated stock, but to kill the PPs was not necessary and smacks of complete wastage.

Though only having a top speed of 70mph the PPs could easily (with refurb) have been returned to their spiritual home as northern line commuter units instead of rotting in north wall yard.

Anyhow it is moot at this stage, from viewing them today they're a shadow of their former selves and even a comprehensive refurb may be a step too far.

All I can hope for is that moyasta or some other heritage organization can earmark a set prior to their untimely destruction but I understand that this presents challenges re motive power.

RIP MK3s :(

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 10,212 ✭✭✭✭Oscar Bravo

And anyone else who could get a few snaps of them please do because it really is there last few weeks as coaches!

Advertisement