Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Disable Internal Bell?

Options
  • 23-07-2012 1:49pm
    Registered Users Posts: 185 ✭✭

Hi all, hoping someone can help, we're moving house next weekend and will have a house alarm for the first time in a long time. I was wondering can you disable the internal bell/ siren with just a user code via the control panel or would you need the engineering code with most alarms (when viewing the house I noticed the keypad looked very similar to one we had in an old apartment, and that was an aritech). From what I can gather the alternative is disconnecting the bell completely?

We have a pet rabbit and obviously they have very sensitive hearing, and they can get heart attacks quite easily, hence the reason we want to disable the internal bell. Thanks!

Comments

snip snip!
    remove the cover,
    the alarm will go off because they usually have a fault sensor.Then figure out what makes it ring and disable it.
    then put it back together !

• Moderators, Home & Garden Moderators, Technology & Internet Moderators Posts: 24,789 Mod ✭✭✭✭KoolKid

Don't go snip snipping until you know what your doing. You don't want to be blowing fuses. If you have engineer access the internal bell can be simply disabled. Failing that post up a picture or type or internal & panel & I can advise you further.

• Registered Users Posts: 185 ✭✭swht

Thanks! :D I'll post again when we're in the house.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,250 ✭✭✭Thunderbird2

Open up the bell . Disarm the alarm . And disconnect the positive power cable . Cover with a bit of electrical tape to prevent it shorting ( blowing fuses) . Cover back up .
    P,S some bells can be turned down :)

So I'm moved in now and typically I'm having alarm problems...

It was a bit windy a few nights back and the alarm went off (its an aritech cs350) at 2am. It was an upstairs window with g=3, also last night I set the alarm and was lowering the blinds on my way to bed and it must have hit off (very lightly) the shock sensor, again in an upstairs window reading g=3. From what I've read g=x is a gross attack level... but I don't know is higher more or less sensitive? I checked and the engineering code hasn't been changed from default so I have engineer access. Is there something I can do with this access to reduce the sensitivity of the shock sensors?

Also how would I disable/inhibit the internal bell using the engineer code? Thanks.

• Advertisement
  • Moderators, Home & Garden Moderators, Technology & Internet Moderators Posts: 24,789 Mod ✭✭✭✭KoolKid

Gross and pulse rates work by the lower the number the more sensitive. But zero is off .3 is too sensitive. Change that to 4 or 5. Once you enter engineer mode alarms are disabled but the bells work for walk test etc.

Thanks KoolKid, do you know is there a maintenance manual online somewhere so I can have a look at where to go in the engineer menu... I'm afraid of messing up the settings. Thanks again!

I'll PM you the engineer manual.

Thanks to KoolKid who gave me the manual and I was able to change the sensitivity of the shock sensors. One was set at 2, is that very low? Also I set both upstairs and downstairs shock zones to 5, should that be enough to stop the alarm being triggered by the wind?

I was wondering though if there is a way to disable the internal bell completely just using the engineer menu. I thought it might be in the output menu.... my ears are still ringing!:eek:

I see under partguard/chime there's an option of internal bell chime on/off... was just wondering if I set that to off would it be always off when set, or only off on a partial set? Don't want to trigger alarm again just yet... think I hear the neighbours sharpening their pitchforks!

2 is way too low. If your still getting false alarms at 5 you have one or more faulty sensors.
    You can go into out puts & programme the internal unused that way. You could also just disconnect the positive or negative .

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 11,719 ✭✭✭✭altor

gonzo.phd wrote: »
    I see under partguard/chime there's an option of internal bell chime on/off... was just wondering if I set that to off would it be always off when set, or only off on a partial set? Don't want to trigger alarm again just yet... think I hear the neighbours sharpening their pitchforks!

The chime on system is set up for a zone chime of the internal bell if a window or door is open.

OK so I was going to disconnect the internal bell this morning and realised the bell required a special screwdriver, so I had a look in the box. There's a legend that shows the internal bell to be in numbers 6 and 7. However there are 2 wires going into each of these. I have attached pictures. Should I disconnect both from 6 for example and wrap them separately in electrical tape? Thanks again.

The second pair will be going with the Sab cable for the strobe.

• Registered Users Posts: 11,719 ✭✭✭✭altor

gonzo.phd wrote: »
    OK so I was going to disconnect the internal bell this morning and realised the bell required a special screwdriver, so I had a look in the box. There's a legend that shows the internal bell to be in numbers 6 and 7. However there are 2 wires going into each of these. I have attached pictures. Should I disconnect both from 6 for example and wrap them separately in electrical tape? Thanks again.

In your first picture you see the internal bell on the side of the panel. There is a red and black cable coming from it. Follow this cable to where it is connected into the control panel and disconnect.

Advertisement