Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Can't get online

Options
  • 23-07-2012 2:09pm
    Registered Users Posts: 15,258 ✭✭✭✭

Hello good people

I have a PS3. For the past two days I can't go online.

Every week or two I have to reset my router and there is never a problem. Always connect by wifi. Router is down stairs in the office.

When ever I search for the router it always shows up, just doesn't assign an ip address.

Any ideas?

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 4,017 ✭✭✭Leslie91

Might aswell add my issue here as it is kinda related.

I can get online no problem wired. (OP have u tried it wired?)

I cannot get it online via wifi. I've read online that the Sony (in the box) wireless controller can cause problems for wifi, is this true?.

I get the 'cannot connect to access point, timed out' over wifi, but it is perfect over wired.

I'm sure this has come up before so apologies if it has. But it'd be great to know how to overcome it. Latest firmware is on the PS3, updated it this morn over wired.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,721 ✭✭✭Otacon

Rabies wrote: »
    Hello good people

I have a PS3. For the past two days I can't go online.

Every week or two I have to reset my router and there is never a problem. Always connect by wifi. Router is down stairs in the office.

When ever I search for the router it always shows up, just doesn't assign an ip address.

Any ideas?

What is the signal like, when you are trying to connect? Does it connect to the Internet at all? Do you have issues with any other devices connected to the router?
    Leslie91 wrote: »
    Might aswell add my issue here as it is kinda related.

I can get online no problem wired. (OP have u tried it wired?)

I cannot get it online via wifi. I've read online that the Sony (in the box) wireless controller can cause problems for wifi, is this true?.

I get the 'cannot connect to access point, timed out' over wifi, but it is perfect over wired.

I'm sure this has come up before so apologies if it has. But it'd be great to know how to overcome it. Latest firmware is on the PS3, updated it this morn over wired.

Same questions as above. What's the signal like? Also, what type of security do you have on your router? WPA or WEP? Mine is WEP and I have had no issues.

• Registered Users Posts: 388 ✭✭Rob32

I had a similiar prolem before, i had to change the settings on the router itself, it wasnt allowing the psn access to its firewall and kept timing me out/ disconnecting me etc. Was a very easy fix once i found the problem hope this helps.

Oh, to do this there should be an ip address in your routers manual go to this address and all the settings are there.

Otacon wrote: »

Same questions as above. What's the signal like? Also, what type of security do you have on your router? WPA or WEP? Mine is WEP and I have had no issues.

Tks, signal is 100%, PS3 is situated right next to the router. Security is WEP.

Rob32 wrote: »
    I had a similiar prolem before, i had to change the settings on the router itself, it wasnt allowing the psn access to its firewall and kept timing me out/ disconnecting me etc. Was a very easy fix once i found the problem hope this helps.

Oh, to do this there should be an ip address in your routers manual go to this address and all the settings are there.

Thanks Rob I'll have a look at the router settings but interestingly before I sync'd the wireless controller to the PS3 I had the PS3 connected via the wifi. So I'm still thinking it's the feckin controller that is the problem.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 6,721 ✭✭✭Otacon

Leslie91 wrote: »
    Tks, signal is 100%, PS3 is situated right next to the router. Security is WEP.

Can you connect to the Internet via the PS3? For example, can you connect and use the browser, even if the PSN sign-in fails?

Otacon wrote: »
    Can you connect to the Internet via the PS3? For example, can you connect and use the browser, even if the PSN sign-in fails?

Only using wired.

• Registered Users Posts: 15,258 ✭✭✭✭Rabies

Signal strength is always 80-90%. When I'm playing COD:MW for example I always 3-4 green bars, little or no lag.

When it plays up it doesn't connect at all. Can see the fecker, but they don't connect. A reset and a 5min power down for the router always works.

Will check it again tonight. Everything else connects fine though. Mac, iphone and laptop.

Connecting via cable isn't an option. Separated by a floor and a few rooms.

• Registered Users Posts: 20,830 ✭✭✭✭Taltos

Hi there here are a few options.

1. If you are close to the router - plug it in - wired is better.
    2. If wireless and it cannot connect consistently define a static IP, you will need your DNS addresses. Just make sure your router is broadcasting in a manner that your PS3 can recognize.
    3. You can also set your PS3 to bypass your router. However the one time I did this my wife could not connect to the net through the router. Might be co-incidence but it only happened when the PS3 was online. It did give me NAT1 thought.
    4. use one of the power line broadband extenders. Plug the router into one plug and the PS3 into another...

Hopefully one of these will work for you.

Cheers
    Will see what I can do tomorrow.
    Can't get in to the room now, the other house mate has the office locked up an he is asleep.
    Tried connecting again, still the same. Can see the router, its strength is at 80%.
    Not getting an ip address, times out after a few min.

Didn't have much of a prob before apart from needing to reset it now and again, so it should still be recognizing it.

How to I do the above steps and define a static IP?

• Advertisement
  • Moderators, Computer Games Moderators Posts: 10,298 Mod ✭✭✭✭F1ngers

Taltos wrote: »
    4. use one of the power line broadband extenders. Plug the router into one plug and the PS3 into another...

Was going to suggest those myself, http://www.amazon.co.uk/s/ref=nb_sb_noss?url=search-alias%3Daps&field-keywords=powerline+computer+network+adaptors&x=0&y=0, you may find them cheaper elsewhere though.

The new flat mate has asked me if there is ever problems with the router, he can't get online since yesterday with his laptop. Still connects but with "limited connectivity".
    Looks like it is more than my PS3

F1ngers wrote: »

Are they any good for gaming over?

Edit:
    I see we here in NZ get ripped off more than Ireland

This is stg$33 or NZ$65

http://www.amazon.co.uk/D-Link-DHP-307AV-PowerLine-Homeplug-Network/dp/B003L78F6U/ref=sr_1_3?ie=UTF8&qid=1343128608&sr=8-3

to buy in NZ the same product is NZ$180

http://www.dicksmith.co.nz/product/XH1429/d-link-powerline-av-starter-kit

Static IP is actually quite straight forward - you don't have to enter the DNS but play with it - for me with one router if I did it failed - on another I had to enter it. And with my Zyxel router if I define a static IP with / without DNS my NAT is 3 instead of 2 when I leave it to itself.

From Sony
    http://manuals.playstation.net/document/en/ps3/current/settings/connectadvance.html

There are also Youtube videos on this.

1. Go all the way to Scan and find your network.
    2. Enter the password
    3. On the IP Address screen - select manual and enter something in the range of your default IP address eg 192.168.1.60
    4. Move onto the DNS - try automatic for now. If this fails go back and select manual and enter the appropriate DNS settings from your broadband provider - should also be visibile in your router if you log in as admin.
    Go all the way to the end with the rest as normal and run your test.

Hope this works for you.

The new flat mate has asked me if there is ever problems with the router, he can't get online since yesterday with his laptop. Still connects but with "limited connectivity".
    Looks like it is more than my PS3
    Try just powering down for half a minute. Worst case you might have to do a reset - but make sure you have all of your logon details before doing this - eg username / password / DNS settings etc.
    Are they any good for gaming over?
    Yup - for me at least the signal was stronger than Wifi - depends how far from the router you are I guess.

Cheers guys

Advertisement