Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

New girlfriend, drawing a blank on Birthday ideas. Any Tips

Options
  • 23-07-2012 2:09pm
    Registered Users Posts: 166,026 ✭✭✭✭

Hey Guys and Gals,

Have trawled the forum already and have seen some very good advice.
    As times move on though so do trends.

So said id ask your advice. Have a relatively new girlfriend. Three months of happyness and joy. Can honestly say that it has been along time since someone made me this happy. Probably Bosco on telly to be honest. haha. So anyways have been single for over two years so out of swing with things.

Its coming up to her birthday soon. Have planned a weekend away together so far, but thats nothing to do with the birthday. Just a break for us. Athough I do have wine in the room and choc's for when we arrive at the hotel. Thought it would be a nice touch to start the weekend.

So anyways trying to think of ideas on what to get her for her birthday. We are mid twenties, both working, living life as it comes and enjoying it.
    I have a budget of about 70 euro to play with. Plus as its relatively new in the relationship dont want to be going mad on a present. Hedge the ole options ;) lol .

She is quite an out going girl, tall and loves her fashion,although not obsessed with it or image.
    Just wondering what people think would be a good route, option or even idea!

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 918 ✭✭✭RoscommonTom

Voucher is always a safe bet and not much work, other wise fancy underwear or perfume, keep it stress free

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,652 ✭✭✭I am pie

Voucher - No ! Basically says you can't be 4rsed thinking of something that she wants, so you give he the money. I mean you might as well hand her the 70 quid. It looks bad. It's a cop out.

Fancy underwear - minefield. Steer clear. Do you know her sizes? Get that wrong and you are looking at one awkward weekend my friend. Do you really know what she likes and would she consider it appropriate. Another definite no.

Perfume is a good one, but you'd need to know what she likes, how fussy she is about perfume, does she go for one brand etc?

What about tickets for a show/gig and a dinner? Does she wear 'accessories' - scarfs etc ? Anything like that? You'd want to be listening out for 'those are nice' type hints if you've been shopping together.

You could buy some sex toys for her either for your wekend away , could be as good as any. Or tickets for something as the previos fella said.

• Registered Users Posts: 15,127 ✭✭✭✭kerry4sam

The only thing about the sex-toys is that not every female might appreciate the concept, so thread carefully with that one with your new girlfriend :) UNLESS you both go shopping for them?!? best of both worlds in that you'd purchase items that you'd both like and enjoy ;)

Tickets for a concert/gig would be nice and safe though going with your username of 'trying to impress' and with it being relatively new.

• Registered Users Posts: 329 ✭✭Smeggy

If I was in same boat (as your gf) I'd be receptive to jewellery such as a nice chain/bracelet and/or gig tickets. NO to sex toys! :)

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 2,674 ✭✭✭Skatedude

It has to be something personal. If you know her birthday( i assume you do) Then go for a necklace with her birthstone.
    It shows that you made an effort and thought about it.
    And make sure you tell her why you picked that stone.

Please dont use any jewellery with names of initials as it can seem to cheap and too easy.

here's a list of birthstones to match dates.
    http://www.kaisilver.com/birth-chart-stone.htm

• Registered Users Posts: 78 ✭✭chuckster

Definitely tickets to a music or comedy gig... just something you can do together & it shows how much you enjoy spending time with her aswell!

• Registered Users Posts: 119 ✭✭Lexicographer

Agree, something you can do together, as said before, but maybe a dinner somewhere nice first for just the two of you.

Youd be doing well to get dinner and a show for 2 people for 70

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,456 ✭✭✭westies4ever

http://www.newbridgesilverware.com/?action=search&type=gift&category=JEWELLERY&collection=BIRTHDAY&gift=2

Hubbie bought me one of these for my birthday and I love it - I get a lot of compliments as well.

I then got his sister one for her 40th and she was really chuffed. I ordered it online and got it within 5 days.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 5,969 ✭✭✭hardCopy

Cook dinner and take her to a show.

The show is generic enough that you won't go too far wrong and the dinner makes it personal and shows you've put some effort in without inflating the price.

I definitely wouldn't chance sex toys or undies after 3 months unless you're very sure she'd be into it.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 28 mrsnewbie

Hello,

What about a nice bag..?? River Island have gorgeous handbags for about 50.. get something that matches what she has.. or a nice black or cream one. You would have enough to get a pair of earrings to keep. Concert tickets would be nice too but she would love the thought of you picking something for her to wear.. I once got a bin from a man... i married him so don't worry to much.. if she loves ya she loves ya ... (it was a cool retro bin .. ha ha) !!!!!!

• Registered Users Posts: 166,026 ✭✭✭✭LegacyUser

hey guys,

Thanks for all the replies.
    Sex toys, not a hope. The sex is plentiful and adventurous at the moment. Not opposed to the sex toy idea and that, but its more of a mutual buy for a couple I think rather than a present. I do like the idea all the same haha.

As for jewelry, was thinking that. I do know her style and that. Yet would be slow to buy it as she has lots, but also has a few select items she always wears.

The tickets I have already, will be out for dinner over the weekend so thats that covered.

The bag, great idea. Really is. Might run with that. Hopefully Ill get the right style haha.

Cheers guys and gals.

Advertisement