Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Corsair Vengeance K90 Keyboard?

Options
  • 23-07-2012 2:36pm
    Registered Users Posts: 9,847 ✭✭✭

Hi all,

Anybody have this keyboard? I am thinking of changing my keyboard to the Corsair Vengeance K90. It has a really nice finish and sense of quality to it. It has raised keys for ease of cleaning with aluminium underneath. The major keys are mechanical but the less used ones are not. This isn't a huge issue for me but it would have been nice to have full mechanical keys. Its a little pricey but I like the quality finish of it and it would compliment my case and monitors and look nice on my desk! :P

corsair_k90_7.jpg
    corsair_k90_10.jpg
    ch-9000003-na.jpg

I like the way the macro keys are lowered compared to the other keys. I have macro keys on my current keyboard but I keep pressing them instead of ESC and CTRL etc.

It has some good reviews

The positives:
    • Stylish
    • Quality finish
    • Backlit
    • Programmable keys
    • Mechanical keys
    • Handy volume control

The downsides:
    • A bit pricey
    • Not all keys are mechanical (not a biggy)

Here is a detailed review I found on YouTube.
    (I only watch the first 10mins)

So any thoughts? I am a casual gamer but I do like to have quality hardware.

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 7,180 ✭✭✭Serephucus

Have you used mechanical switches before? There's a big difference between them. My favourite to type on are Blues, but I'm not a fan of how noisy they are, so I'm using Browns, which are almost as good. Personally, I don't like Red or Black switches, and it's Reds that Corsair use with their keyboards. I will agree with you though; it's the nicest looking mechanical keyboard around by a long shot.

Here's a break-down of the switch types (among other things).

• Registered Users Posts: 3,191 ✭✭✭uncle_sam_ie

I personally didn't like the look of the K90 or the fact that it's not fully mechanical. But, I do like Corsair as a company. If those two things are OK with then go for it. I've only had a mechanical keyboard for a few weeks (red switches) and can say I don't regret paying extra for it one bit.

• Registered Users Posts: 11,690 ✭✭✭✭Skylinehead

I'd personally go for this: http://www.overclockers.co.uk/showproduct.php?prodid=KB-000-XM. I have the MK-50, which is fantastic, and this is the same with USB ports/audio ports/backlighting. The one they're selling there has blue keys.

• Registered Users Posts: 9,847 ✭✭✭py2006

Serephucus wrote: »
    Have you used mechanical switches before? There's a big difference between them. My favourite to type on are Blues, but I'm not a fan of how noisy they are, so I'm using Browns, which are almost as good. Personally, I don't like Red or Black switches, and it's Reds that Corsair use with their keyboards. I will agree with you though; it's the nicest looking mechanical keyboard around by a long shot.

Here's a break-down of the switch types (among other things).

Thanks for the info. I currently use the Razer Tarantula which looks nice but a nightmare to keep clean. I've never used a mechanical keyboard.
    I personally didn't like the look of the K90 or the fact that it's not fully mechanical. But, I do like Corsair as a company. If those two things are OK with then go for it. I've only had a mechanical keyboard for a few weeks (red switches) and can say I don't regret paying extra for it one bit.

I would agree with you on the initial appearance of the K90. From a distance the contrast of the black keys on the side and the aluminium base doesn't look great but on closer inspection it is a quality keyboard.

Do you have any other recommendations?

I am also looking at the Corsair M60 mouse although I am not sure about the 'sniper' button.

Same keyboard I have. If you order from QPad direct, you can also select whatever key switches you want, as well as getting a UK layout one.

• Advertisement

I'd personally go for this: http://www.overclockers.co.uk/showproduct.php?prodid=KB-000-XM. I have the MK-50, which is fantastic, and this is the same with USB ports/audio ports/backlighting. The one they're selling there has blue keys.

Is that a speaker on the wrist rest? :confused:

• Registered Users Posts: 11,690 ✭✭✭✭Skylinehead

Another thing about the QPads: they're ridiculously solid, mine feels like it could survive a thermonuclear war.

py2006 wrote: »
    Is that a speaker on the wrist rest? :confused:

No :pac:

Same keyboard I have. If you order from QPad direct, you can also select whatever key switches you want, as well as getting a UK layout one.

Will have to do some research into these different keys. The quieter the better I suppose.

Do they charge much for delivery?

€20, unfortunately, but as I discovered, there are very few UK layout mechanical keyboards. The vast majority are US, so you pay a premium.

• Advertisement

Do you have any other recommendations?

I went with the Qpad MK-85. I would recommend it. I also Looked at the Ducky shine but, you have to get them in from the US and that put me off a bit.

€20, unfortunately, but as I discovered, there are very few UK layout mechanical keyboards. The vast majority are US, so you pay a premium.

Hmmm, didn't think of the layout! I must double check that the K90 is a uk layout! :eek:

It doesn't specifically say but it has [CH-9000003-UK] as its product number.

Yeah, that's UK.

Very good video comparing the different switches.

This is the improved version..

• Registered Users Posts: 1,124 ✭✭✭jonon9

Its a very sexy looking keyboard thats for sure but does anybody not find its alot of money for a half mechanical when for the same price you can get a full mechanical I mean why not get the full mechanical keyboard?? the mionix zibal 60 is a great looking board.

Well you get features that most mechanical keyboards lack. Dedicated media keys for one. If Corsair ever comes out with a Blue or Brown switch version, I'll be on it in a second, because I love dedicated media keys. I'm really not a fan of the FN ones on most mech. keyboards.

Also, you get a crap-tonne of macro buttons, though I don't use those a whole lot, the odd few are handy, and my MK-80 has none, as do most.

jonon9 wrote: »
    the mionix zibal 60 is a great looking board.

The Mionix Zibal is a nice keyboard but, the black switches turn me off it.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,195 ✭✭✭ZeroThreat

Zibal 60, I think that's the skinny Canadians choice of keyboard iirc :D
    Got a qpad mk-85 recently myself, would have ordered a filco from the keyboard company, but for the lack of any backlighting.

Have the red switch version, as someone here recommended it for gaming. No problems with it at all, tbh I didn't really want something that sounds as loud as a mechanical type writer. Something like blue switches would probably feel strange to me after years on rubberdomes anyway.

I did consider brown switches, although I would have had to order direct from qpad since most of the mainstream retailers, scan, overclockers, amazon seem to just sell the red-switch version.

• Registered Users Posts: 12,540 ✭✭✭✭Varik

Got the k90 today, boxed it up to send back an hour ago dropping if off tomorrow. Could not tell in the day light but 3 keys did not light, the L and shift failed while i was looking at them.

I like the feel of the reds and the non mechanical keys are not much of an issue, the main problem with them is how raised they are and this is lesser with the other keys due to the design of the keyboard ( i like it but that is a con for the design)

If you're going to be using any macros then this is a great keyboard and i'm looking forward to amazons replacement.

I picked the K90 for price and a guarantee of Uk layout, many of the site are selling int ones only or as with qpad they send out the different layouts time and again. the qpad mk 50 was second choice but that had layout issues from non manufacture site and the delivery pushed the price over other models.

Also this is for work :) so company friendly site were needed.

jonon9 wrote: »
    Its a very sexy looking keyboard thats for sure but does anybody not find its alot of money for a half mechanical when for the same price you can get a full mechanical I mean why not get the full mechanical keyboard?? the mionix zibal 60 is a great looking board.

I'd say it was a cost cutting measure not to use full mechanical keys. Most reviewers say its not a big deal as the main keys are mechanical.

The mionix zibal 60 looks very ordinary to me!

• Advertisement

Well you get features that most mechanical keyboards lack. Dedicated media keys for one. If Corsair ever comes out with a Blue or Brown switch version, I'll be on it in a second, because I love dedicated media keys. I'm really not a fan of the FN ones on most mech. keyboards.

Also, you get a crap-tonne of macro buttons, though I don't use those a whole lot, the odd few are handy, and my MK-80 has none, as do most.

Why the preference for blue and brown switches over red?

Varik wrote: »
    Got the k90 today, boxed it up to send back an hour ago dropping if off tomorrow. Could not tell in the day light but 3 keys did not light, the L and shift failed while i was looking at them.

I like the feel of the reds and the non mechanical keys are not much of an issue, the main problem with them is how raised they are and this is lesser with the other keys due to the design of the keyboard ( i like it but that is a con for the design)

If you're going to be using any macros then this is a great keyboard and i'm looking forward to amazons replacement.

I picked the K90 for price and a guarantee of Uk layout, many of the site are selling int ones only or as with qpad they send out the different layouts time and again. the qpad mk 50 was second choice but that had layout issues from non manufacture site and the delivery pushed the price over other models.

Also this is for work :) so company friendly site were needed.

Post some pics when you get it back!! I would have thought mechanical keyboards were not work friendly as they are louder than normal keyboards? :confused:

Why the preference for blue and brown switches over red?

Because blue and brown switches have tactile feedback. The blues click, and sort of notch, when you press them, the browns have a bit of a bump.

Because blue and brown switches have tactile feedback. The blues click, and sort of notch, when you press them, the browns have a bit of a bump.

Are they slightly noisier than the red?

Not sure. Reds are basically lighter Blacks, and I found them to be about the same as Browns. Blues are that bit louder though (But IMO, a lot nicer to type on).

I find the cherry colour switches very confusing. There seems to be a lot of contradictions out there.

Black would appear to be the gamers choice. Loud and you really have to press the keys down. So not for typing.
    Blue would appear to be a happy medium but quite loud also.
    Red is supposed to be nice to type with and not as noisy
    Brown I thought was similar to red.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,414 ✭✭✭Fluffy88

I find the cherry colour switches very confusing. There seems to be a lot of contradictions out there.

Black would appear to be the gamers choice. Loud and you really have to press the keys down. So not for typing.
    Blue would appear to be a happy medium but quite loud also.
    Red is supposed to be nice to type with and not as noisy
    Brown I thought was similar to red.

Not sure where you got that info, but it's not correct and yes they are very confusing at first but really once you take a short bit of time to read about them they become a lot simpler.

Here is a post I made about switches awhile ago, it has a very short explanation of the different switch types and a link to a more detailed article about them.
    http://www.boards.ie/vbulletin/showthread.php?p=79582413

Advertisement