Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Charged twice for pc

Options
  • 23-07-2012 2:44pm
    Registered Users Posts: 813 ✭✭✭

I bought a pc on Saturday for €700
    When I checked my account I had been double charged for it 2 transactions of €700 .
    Rang the bank and they where very dismissive of my problem ,
    Called it shadow transaction and said 3 working days to sort it out
    IE 5 days since my money was taken .

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 9,004 ✭✭✭mad m

I bought a pc on Saturday for €700
    When I checked my account I had been double charged for it 2 transactions of €700 .
    Rang the bank and they where very dismissive of my problem ,
    Called it shadow transaction and said 3 working days to sort it out
    IE 5 days since my money was taken .

Why not get a print out of statement and go back to shop...

• Registered Users Posts: 4,502 ✭✭✭chris85

When you were in the shop was there an issue with transaction going through the first time? If so then this is where the problem lies and have heard can take up to 10 days to resolve.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 6,224 ✭✭✭Procrastastudy

The shop / merchant may not be able to refund you. This is a common problem with money being 'held' rather than taken. They actually dont have it and it will likely drop back into your account. If they were to refund you - you'd end up getting both lots back - which would be nice :D

I'd get back on to your bank and not let them off the hook - it's either them or the merchants bank which are holding this up. Unless your bank confirms you've been charged twice by the merchant in which case open a charge back case if this is a credit card.

• Registered Users Posts: 813 ✭✭✭working fool

Thanks for that
    I got a printout from the shop stating I was only charged once .
    Rang the bank and they blamed them
    It also happened a few weeks ago in tesco and they blamed them too .
    The bank was far from helpful and said someone would ring me later for me to make a complaint .

• Closed Accounts Posts: 20,373 ✭✭✭✭foggy_lad

Thanks for that
    I got a printout from the shop stating I was only charged once .
    Rang the bank and they blamed them
    It also happened a few weeks ago in tesco and they blamed them too .
    The bank was far from helpful and said someone would ring me later for me to make a complaint .
    You need to get off he phone and into your branch as they can fob you off till the cows come home on the phone but it is a different story with you standing at the counter with others hearing how they are withholding your money.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 1,594 ✭✭✭sandin

The shop / merchant may not be able to refund you. This is a common problem with money being 'held' rather than taken. They actually dont have it and it will likely drop back into your account. If they were to refund you - you'd end up getting both lots back - which would be nice :D

I'd get back on to your bank and not let them off the hook - it's either them or the merchants bank which are holding this up. Unless your bank confirms you've been charged twice by the merchant in which case open a charge back case if this is a credit card.

Utter rubbish

1 - Its not a common problem
    2 - Its not being held

Please don't give opinion on something you obviously don't know about as it then gives wrong info to the OP who then ends up looking like a fool. To the OP - always be wary of people with names that suggest they have an "authority" - usually / nearly always they are wrong.

It is a shadow transaction. Rarely happens, usually caused by a download of info from a terminal being interrupted and then they re-dial. Sorts itself out quite quickly - normally next day, but the bank will say 3 days to cover themselves.

Another way a double transaction can happen is if there are issues at the point of purchase, but you'd know of this as you were obviously there. (terminal disconnection, terminal runs out of paper etc)

Right
    The bank couldent be bothered ringing me back it's after 7pm now so I dowt I'll be hearing from them .

This is the third time this has happened
    Last time was in tescos about a month ago

sandin wrote: »
    Utter rubbish

2 - Its not being held

Please don't give opinion on something you obviously don't know about as it then gives wrong info to the OP who then ends up looking like a fool. To the OP - always be wary of people with names that suggest they have an "authority" - usually / nearly always they are wrong.

It is a shadow transaction. Rarely happens, usually caused by a download of info from a terminal being interrupted and then they re-dial. Sorts itself out quite quickly - normally next day, but the bank will say 3 days to cover themselves.

Another way a double transaction can happen is if there are issues at the point of purchase, but you'd know of this as you were obviously there. (terminal disconnection, terminal runs out of paper etc)

How does my name suggest I have authority? My authority on this comes from 15 years working in retail. Common might not be the right word but its certainly not particularly rare either. Case in point thats it happened to the OP three times!

Held is exactly the terminology usually used when you talk to the bank as the retailer doesn't have it and neither does the bank.

OP its usually not worth listening to the rudest person on a thread either.

EDIT: Incidentally while we're on about people who don't know what they are talking about - most merchant services have systems in place to stop someone double charging because the PDQ ran out of paper etc. so the chances of it being that are fairly slight - even if it did go through the bank would have told the OP there were two transactions and I would have told him that it was down to the merchant in that case.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,058 ✭✭✭AltAccount

You wouldn't happen to be with Ulster Bank would you?

AltAccount wrote: »
    You wouldn't happen to be with Ulster Bank would you?

Or possibly the retailer is.

• Advertisement

No neither
    I cheaked with the store
    The guy there asked me was I with ulster bank when I went back to them

If they've a manger who has a clue - they would have been up when they reconciled their takings if it was a double swipe. Maybe ask them to check on the off chance?

• Registered Users Posts: 24,924 ✭✭✭✭BuffyBot

Most likely an authorisation, resulting in the amount being held and the actual transaction now coming in. The authorisation will drop off, but it can take a number of days.

• Registered Users Posts: 7,650 ✭✭✭GerardKeating

sandin wrote: »
    Utter rubbish

2 - Its not being held

But "held" and "shadow transaction" mean basically the same things, the terms are used interchangeable by Banks/Merchants etc.

The OP might clarify which Bank/Issuer their card is with. Since the transaction only occurred in the past few days, I would assume they are viewing in via online banking, some show "Pending Transaction" separably, other seem to just included them with properly completed transactions, which can cause this kind of confusion.

Assuming the "second" transaction is some form of Shadow Transaction, itcan take between 3 and 21 days for it to disappear.

I'm not sure if I'm alloud mention the bank
    But this is the third time this has happened the transaction has gone through and the money is gone from my account

I've over € 1000 in direct debits coming out in the next few days and with €700 extra missing it's going to be tight

Update
    I rang bank of Ireland Tuesday morning looking for a complaint ref number so I could make a complaint to the financial regulator .
    They said they would have someone from the complaint department contact me later on .
    24h later nothing
    Day 5 money still missing from my account

• Registered Users Posts: 9,455 ✭✭✭TheChizler

The money's not necessarily gone from your account. If you're with AIB for example, and you look at the account overview or something it will give the total balance in the account. Whereas if you are looking at the account history/breakdown (can't remember what that section's called) it tots up the total AVAILABLE funds, as in ones you can withdraw immediately, this will not include the 'double charge'. The difference between the two totals should be the amount put on hold. That's how it's worked out for me in the past.

The money's there, just not included in the total available. As long as you're not close to €700 balance in the account it won't even inconvenience you, and should sort itself out in a couple of day. Be no harm to go into the branch though.

As far as I'm aware the hold is put on the funds when the merchant terminal is checking if the funds are actually in the account. The problem occurs when the operation is interrupted after this, but before the final authorisation can go ahead. The hold may seem stupid, but it is necessary security as it prevents the same money being used in two simultaneous transactions.

It's still listed as being removed from my account the boi system Seems different .

I've a few hefty direct debits coming out of my account this week and €700 missing means that their wont be enough funds to cover them

• Registered Users Posts: 9,455 ✭✭✭TheChizler

I've a few hefty direct debits coming out of my account this week and €700 missing means that their wont be enough funds to cover them

If the bank are unable to speed up the process maybe you could ask them to arrange a temporary overdraft?

• Registered Users Posts: 1,597 ✭✭✭amber2

It's still listed as being removed from my account the boi system Seems different .

Would you not post your thread in the "Talk to" BOI Section to resolve your issue, they should be of some help to you. Perhaps they could put up a temporary Overdraft to allow the DD's be paid or alternatively they may be able to place a note on your account to alert the issue with regards to the duplicated transaction of €700 being sufficient to cover your DD's and force through the DD's .

• Advertisement

amber2 wrote: »

Would you not post your thread in the "Talk to" BOI Section to resolve your issue, they should be of some help to you.

I had no idea you could do that here
    Thanks

TheChizler wrote: »

If the bank are unable to speed up the process maybe you could ask them to arrange a temporary overdraft?

Someone mentioned that on Tuesday
    But they never got back to me

• Registered Users Posts: 7,142 ✭✭✭witnessmenow

Post a thread in the Bank Of Ireland forum, link to this one. I think you might find them getting back a little faster then.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,597 ✭✭✭amber2

I had no idea you could do that here
    Thanks

Good luck hope you get some satisfaction there is nothing worse when its something you have no control over. It seems like a glitch in the system somewhere along the line between retailer terminals and the Bank. I do know they can put a note on your account in relation to Direct Debits being returned so this may be of some help to you if you ask at your branch in order to prevent them being returned.

Post a thread in the Bank Of Ireland forum, link to this one. I think you might find them getting back a little faster then.

Thanks for the link I'll contact them now

• Registered Users Posts: 24,924 ✭✭✭✭BuffyBot

Follow up thread can be found here

This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement