Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Letter of complaint to apple

• 23-07-2012 3:02pm
    Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,999 ✭✭✭

hi all. I am pasting this here, as i found appalling the way things went on, and that there is no complaints department or way to complain to apple. i will keep trying to find a place to send this letter.

Apologies, it is long winded, but you can imagine the stress and ranting needed.

Dear Sir

I feel this is the best place for me to outline the problems that have been happening over the last number of weeks.

On june 30th 2012, i began to realise that frequent crashes on my macbook air, case number xxxxxxxxxx did not seem to be related to software problems. Indeed, i realised, every time the cpu was under high load, and the fan going, that it would either crash or freeze.

As i tried to reload os lion (which came on the recovery hd), i had to do this at least 7 times, which involved downloading lion for 7 times, and hence, went over my quota for downloads by my ISP at the time. I managed to finally download lion and install it, but subsequently, i could not manage to install software updates, as the same freezing problems started.

I therefore rang apple. This went on for 4 days while they kept trying to make me re install lion every time, despite me having told them about the current issues.
    It was finally decided that i should bring the laptop down to a service provider, and i went to typetec, Dublin 12, as i have had good experience with typetec, when i had my FIRST IBOOK in September 2001.

First trip down to typetec resulted in them ringing me 2 days later to tell me they could find nothing wrong with the laptop and had gotten the software update to work. Pleased with this, i took the laptop back and went home. I did not use it for about a week as i was moving house, and did not need it. However, the minute i turned it on to transfer my files a week later, the laptop froze again. I could see it was the same problem, so i dropped it down again to typetec.

They replaced the motherboard and told me all was fine.
    Again, at that point i had realised that it was transferring files that was the issue, so i immediately set about doing this. Except this time, i video-ed the process, as i did not think anybody believed me. At that time, then, they understood the seriousness, and replaced the solid state drive.

Again i dropped this into typetec, after ringing apple support
    , and being put through to a supervisor, MR X, who gave me his details. He also told me he would personally follow the case, and that since this had happened so many times, that he would look into apple doing something else and being more helpful in this case, even considering replacing the unit.

So therefore, i got the laptop the next day after picking it up again from typetec. As i booted up again (and everytime, i have had to go and drop this to them and pick it up, incurring time off work and also money expenses obviously getting to there). However, after using it a short while, and reinstalling all my apps and files, i realised the battery was not charging. It was reported as plugged in, but there was no charge going in.

At this point, i had become very frustrated. I emailed MR X on Friday evening, and having no reply after leaving a voicemail to him, rang apple support again on Saturday. I was then passed to a new supervisor, MR Y. I explained the whole situation again, and after looking into the history, and not telling me why the previous supervisor did not reply to me, told me that this would need to be repaired again, that it was a possible faulty motherboard that was put in, and that once repaired, they would see if that was working.

Therefore, the laptop has gone in again, for the 5th time.
    It is very annoying to me, that a product, for which i paid 1500+ euros, including extended apple care warranty, is being dealt in this manner. I have been nothing but accommodating in the last 4 WEEKS of not having a laptop, and subsequently my work has become backlogged, i have had to travel to drop and pick this piece of non functioning metal and i now have NO FAITH in this product. Everytime I have turned it on after a repair, i have been worried what else could go wrong. How many times will i have to reinstall everything again? I have bootcamp and windows and office. Everytime I have to spend so much time ringing Microsoft to ask them to revalidate my installation because i keep having to reinstall everything. I also have software that needs to be reinstalled by work everytime, as it is licenced software and wont they start getting annoyed i keep needing this?

I have been dealt with pretty badly in my opinion. I cannot even begin to imagine what would be the case if I was out of warranty. The whole machine has been replaced in parts apart from the screen, the logic board twice. Yet apple keep sanctioning repairs, just because. Would it not have been easier to replace the unit anyway? What about all the hours lost for me? The money spent picking up and receiving the unit? I have no faith in couriers sending this is, as it would take 2 extra days to get it around, if it arrives in good order.

I have paid for warranty and cover for this product, yet i find myself out of pocket, out of time, and definitely with a lot of stress associated with it – i am qualified to talk about stress if anyone wonders, im just not posting publicly why.

It makes me worry about the future of this product, and even starts make me wonder if another manufacturer would not already have replaced this lemon already. This laptop is NOT YET 5 months old!

I do not blame typetec. They are bound to do exactly what apple tells them to do in terms of repairs. They have to order the parts everyday for next day delivery, then only can they work on this. This is a stupid system, makes the turn around longer, and if UPS miss something, the consumer ends up at the losing end of it. I am very aggrieved with the whole situation, and the fact that apple are just shrugging their shoulders. A simple “I am sorry” is not enough, and means nothing in this case. This has been going on for far too long, and i demand something more than just “I am sorry but i will still not help you properly”.

The laptop could be repaired this time, great. But i will remember, everytime i open it, whether something is going to not work or not, and it makes me worry about all my files, and whether i can trust this unit at all.

In the end, i could see that the first problem was with the solid state drive. Yet apple decided to replace the logic board, then it ended up needing 2 logic boards, a solid state drive, a battery, just because they could not trust and find out what the problem was. How can i trust this now – and i have paid for extra better warranty, and this is how i was treated. God help those who do not have warranty.

I own and have owned: an ibook, 4 ipods of different vintages, a number of iphones, macbook airs since the first generation, macbook white, aluminium, macbook pro titanium aluminium 13 and 15 inches, a 24” imac, 1st and 2nd gen apple tvs.

I loved apple. Now i am not so sure its worth paying more for anymore.

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,207 ✭✭✭miralize

So you MBA broke, and your blaming apple for typetec's incompetencies? Obviously you have a right to feel aggravated, but there is only so much tech support can do over the phone. You should have sent it directly to Apple to have a guaranteed fix.

And I dont know why you're posting it here, are you looking for sympathy? Or are you trying to warn others of your seemingly once of bad experience with Apple after buying their products for years....

• Closed Accounts Posts: 12,395 ✭✭✭✭mikemac1

i will keep trying to find a place to send this letter.

Customer service manager
    Apple
    Hollyhill
    Cork city

It's an awfully long winded letter
    Cut out the emotion and put in bullet points with a timeline

It will help you get a better response

This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement