Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Attack in Celbridge

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 456 ✭✭Karlitto

Heya,

Don't know why, but I got a funny feeling during the read...

Not sure what triggered it, but several things don't add up,

Firstly not that this doesn't add up, but rather, it raised alarm bells in my mind:
    I’m guessing 19-24 African

What exactly was the reason for mentioning he guesses they were from africa? There are PLENTY more countries where the skin colour of people is black..... this might just be nothing or maybe he couldn't think of any other way to discribe it, but the first thing that pops into my head is racist.

Secondly:
    I ran not much about 3 meters when I came across three of the nicest people I’ve ever encountered

So, these people were 3 metres away and didn't see or hear any of the savage beating that was happening right infront of them? Infact, they were not able to hear him screaming for help seeing how they were obviously close by? Hmmm

Thirdly:
    The Garda have yet to take my statement I’m waiting on a car to arrive

Thats tripe! The Gaurds will take a statement straight away if somthing like this has happened to you if they are called to the scene.

Now, on to another point,

Did anyone else read this and notice that the guy is constantly mentioning his "valuble items" Camera, camera flash peice, wallet, keys, journel.

I don't know,

It all seems a bit suspicious to me.

Then I look at the pictures, scroll through of them, some of them the cuts are on the left side of his face and some they are on the right (after taking into consideration that he is taking some of them in a mirror.

I don't buy it.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,225 ✭✭✭airmax87

It did happen and he wasn't the only one, other people were approached but one of them knew a face and said a new and they ran off.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,175 ✭✭✭angeldelight

He's a friend of a friend and unfortunately it did happen. Scary stuff when you,can't even walk home safely

I must remember to take artisitc photos the next time something traumatic happens to me.

Poor guy, but seriously........

• Registered Users Posts: 1,781 ✭✭✭Joe Public

Starla_o0 wrote: »
    I must remember to take artisitc photos the next time something traumatic happens to me.

Well he is a photographer and had the presence of mind to make an opportunity out of it. It's better he got the pictures out and let people know what happened. It should also help put priority on the hunt for the perpetrators.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 6,697 ✭✭✭brian_t

I thought that too looking at them. A bit Narcissistic.

I'm sure the Gardai will investigate the attack as well as they would any similar crime.

• Registered Users Posts: 37,301 ✭✭✭✭the_syco

Karlitto wrote: »
    Not sure what triggered it
    No trigger, he was attacked for no reason.
    Firstly not that this doesn't add up, but rather, it raised alarm bells in my mind:
    3 black lads. At night.
    my head is racist.
    ****ing PC brigade. Lets see how well you can remember when 3 lads hop you, swing a glass bottle in a sock at your head, and give you a few punches!
    So, these people were 3 metres away and didn't see or hear any of the savage beating that was happening right infront of them? Infact, they were not able to hear him screaming for help seeing how they were obviously close by? Hmmm
    The three people were robbed by the three lads, and had come back to where they were robbed (have found this out since the incident). If they hadn't come back, the person you're calling a racist would have probably been killed by the three black lads.
    Did anyone else read this and notice that the guy is constantly mentioning his "valuble items" Camera, camera flash peice, wallet, keys, journel.
    He had a pretty expensive camera, camera, etc. By the scumbags not taking the valuables, it shows that this was NOT a robbery, but rather a random attack.
    Then I look at the pictures, scroll through of them, some of them the cuts are on the left side of his face and some they are on the right (after taking into consideration that he is taking some of them in a mirror.
    He got whacked with a glass bottle in a sock, and then they started punching him.

• Registered Users Posts: 24,924 ✭✭✭✭BuffyBot

Enough with the abuse, folks.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,576 ✭✭✭IrishAm

What exactly was the reason for mentioning he guesses they were from africa? There are PLENTY more countries where the skin colour of people is black..... this might just be nothing or maybe he couldn't think of any other way to discribe it, but the first thing that pops into my head is racist.

Three blacks do in a native Irish dude and he is the racist for mentioning his attackers race lol. If it was the other way around, it would be all over the media and reported as a racial hate crime.

Will they report this? Like fuck they will.

• Registered Users Posts: 18 vince mc

couple of comments on this.

poor guy, lucky he was not dipped or worse...hurt more. It obviousley happened.

wierd that he takes photos like that, he is almost boasting about it, I am sure he will be on about this for years.

I would say there are holes in his story that he has not put together himself, this is why its a bit disjointed. The others that were robbed probably called the police earlier and were following the gang at a safe distance, but intervened by shouting when the attack took place. Looks like he got no more than the girl annies name, which shows the shock he was in. At that time, liexlip garda would be responding, they are not the quickest as they are under resourced and covering a large area and multiple towns. It seeam to me he was defo dazed and confused, no way the police took his statement, but they would have the previous report from the girl annie, and I would say its an ongoing investigation.

The location is odd. That junction is the busiest in Celbridge at night,, the 24 hour tesco attracts all sorts of folk from late nighters to teenagers to drunks to shift folk and taxi men. Hes lucky he did not cross these guys further down near the vet.

Its my experience that these sort of attacks are not the norm in Celbridge, people might get away with this sort of stuff 3 or 4 times, but it is a small town at heart and it can become big news quickley and the people involved are either identified or begin to feel the heat so much that they stop doing it. would not expect the police to get them though, they are too under resourced.

• Advertisement

IrishAm wrote: »
    Three blacks do in a native Irish dude and he is the racist for mentioning his attackers race lol. If it was the other way around, it would be all over the media and reported as a racial hate crime.

Will they report this? Like fuck they will.

not so sure...how about

local artist viciously attacked while walking home, add that to the photo with all the blood and it is as powerful a front page story as any you will see.

Problem is, the guy was shaken a bit and apart from the cut on his eye got away lightly, run of the mill mugging, thats the only reason its not reported, not sure why everuone decends into race arguments these days. Its as if people are trying to win an debate rather than make a point.

• Registered Users Posts: 8,295 ✭✭✭n97 mini

What exactly was the reason for mentioning he guesses they were from africa? There are PLENTY more countries where the skin colour of people is black.....
    You said black, he didn't. He just said African. Maybe from their accents.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,861 ✭✭✭RayCon

What exactly was the reason for mentioning he guesses they were from africa? There are PLENTY more countries where the skin colour of people is black.....

Africa is a continent - I think we can forgive him for asking the exact country his attackers were from so as to not upset the PC Police.:rolleyes:

He gave his side of the story and 99.9% of people understand exactly the details and believe him. He is not making a political statement but he did use some of his skills to provide graphic details which is fine. He made a guess as to where the attackers are from and guessed similar to how 99.9% of us would.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,181 ✭✭✭Davidth88

Can we stop this rubbish about ' African ' or whatever, he was obviously using the description to say they were black , he could have heard them speak or something

This poor bloke had his head kicked in

Does anyone know anything about it , any other experiences nearby ?

• Moderators, Social & Fun Moderators Posts: 42,362 Mod ✭✭✭✭Beruthiel

He's a photographer and had his camera on him, which they didn't take.
    Either way, a photographer is going to naturally take pics straight away, they will be useful evidence if these guys are caught.

He's a friend of my daughters and according to her, this did indeed happen.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,363 ✭✭✭gerrowadat

He obviously didn't take the first photo, you can see both his hands. Did he hand over his camera and ask someone to take it? lolz.

The story of three men randomly attacking people in Celbridge certainly seems to have made its way around the town. Parents are keeping their kids in now etc.

• Registered Users Posts: 22 resident1

What does it matter if they were black, african or white and Irish or both! People are missing the whole point here. A human being beat up another human being. It is totally unacceptable. I wish people would stop tip toeing around the race issue. If he said he was attacked he has to describe them. They happened to be black. If they were white he would describe their hair colour, clothes, accent etc. These guys should be held accountable for their actions. No one should be attacked like that. Me, my husband and friend were attacked on the Maynooth road in Celbridge around 5-6 years ago. By white local scangers. The guards who took our statement knew who these lads were. They were well known to them, but because some were under 18 they said not much could be done, and that they would counter claim that my husband had assaulted them. Yeah in self defence as they were kicking him in the head.Our friend had broken bones. These scangers were so tough when it was seven of them and three of us. Totally unprovoked. Scangers are taking over the country and taxpaying people are paying for their lifestyle.

It's on the front page of the Liffey Champion this week.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 456 ✭✭Karlitto

Yea, I love the way people are jumping straight on top of me.

Firstly, Here is a fact, check it out if you want. If yous ay someone looks chinese, african, pakistani that is a racist statment, if you say someone is white, black or light brown that is not.

Anyway, I just find the story quite strange, thats all. I mean, 3 people (regardless of colour or ethnic origin) jumped him for no reason at all? I mean, really, for NO reason?

I don't know how else to put it, if it was a genuine attack for no reason, and it did infact happen as described, yea, poor guy and hope his attackers get caught etc. HOWEVER, I don't believe it happened the way it did, too many holes in the story.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,787 ✭✭✭tvnutz

Front page of the Herald this evening

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,407 ✭✭✭Cardinal Richelieu

tvnutz wrote: »
    Front page of the Herald this evening

He was on Joe Duffy today, didn't mention much about how they looked which was a wasted opportunity if he was looking new witnesses.

resident1 wrote: »
    What does it matter if they were black, african or white and Irish or both!
    It doesn't matter, but if they had red hair, black skin, blonde hair, or big round Scandinavian eyes then these descriptions will help to narrow things down.

To say your attacker was black, or Scottish, or whatever, is not racist.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,327 ✭✭✭Merch

Anyway, I just find the story quite strange, thats all. I mean, 3 people (regardless of colour or ethnic origin) jumped him for no reason at all? I mean, really, for NO reason?

I don't know how else to put it, if it was a genuine attack for no reason, and it did infact happen as described, yea, poor guy and hope his attackers get caught etc. HOWEVER, I don't believe it happened the way it did, too many holes in the story.

What holes?

As for unprovoked attacks, I think it happens a lot and isnt dealt with.
    Have been attacked on one occasion by a gang of lads and a few other occasions could see people gearing up for it.
    It happens, people get pissed drunk, and then lose their inhibitions, add to that if they are in a group and on top of that, they more or less know they will get away with it.

• Registered Users Posts: 3 piccasso

This story was featured on the Joe Duffy show on RTE on Friday when he spoke to the guy who was attacked. At no point was he asked to describe his attackers and was probably told by the researched who spoke to him prior to been put on air "not to mention the race of the attackers" because that what we do in a PC world. It's the equivalent of Crimewatch stating the attackers drove away in a car.....knowing that it was a red Audi A3 but just not mentioning it......it would be totally irresponsible journalism. If this was 3 white guys attacking 1 black guy it would be front page - top story on the 6 one news for days if not weeks.
    Example: we all witnessed the riots in London earlier this year. We were told "there's just as many white rioters as there are black rioters. Some may agree with that journalistic statemant, some may not. The fact is the black population of London is 10-12%. In relation to the population blacks rioted 10 times more than white people rioted.
    You'll only here what the lame stream media want you to hear. We all heard of the "white" racist George Zimmermann (who happens to be latino) who shot Trayvon Martin in FLORIDA, this is halfway round the world but we can't hear about the black guys beat a white guy in Celbridge. Nothing to see here, move on now. Nothing to see here!
    We're all equal ....just some are more equal that others.

piccasso wrote: »
    This story was featured on the Joe Duffy show on RTE on Friday when he spoke to the guy who was attacked. At no point was he asked to describe his attackers and was probably told by the researched who spoke to him prior to been put on air "not to mention the race of the attackers" because that what we do in a PC world. It's the equivalent of Crimewatch stating the attackers drove away in a car.....knowing that it was a red Audi A3 but just not mentioning it......it would be totally irresponsible journalism. If this was 3 white guys attacking 1 black guy it would be front page - top story on the 6 one news for days if not weeks.
    Example: we all witnessed the riots in London earlier this year. We were told "there's just as many white rioters as there are black rioters. Some may agree with that journalistic statemant, some may not. The fact is the black population of London is 10-12%. In relation to the population blacks rioted 10 times more than white people rioted.
    You'll only here what the lame stream media want you to hear. We all heard of the "white" racist George Zimmermann (who happens to be latino) who shot Trayvon Martin in FLORIDA, this is halfway round the world but we can't hear about the black guys beat a white guy in Celbridge. Nothing to see here, move on now. Nothing to see here!
    We're all equal ....just some are more equal that others.

what are you on about. if this is not a troll, i dont know what it. A lad is mugged in celbridge brings comparisons of the london riots and the Trayvon Martin case? HAHA, get real, why not throw in the holocaust and the famine...THIS IS JUST LIKE WHAT THE ENGLISH DID TO US IN 47, IT PROBABLY HAPPENED AT THE FAMINE GRAVEYARD AS A SIGN....sic

• Registered Users Posts: 3 piccasso

vince mc wrote: »
    what are you on about. if this is not a troll, i dont know what it.

A troll, trolling for what. My point is the guy had the national airwaves on the supposed #1 radio show in the country with the biggest audience to get the information out. He wasn't even asked the question. "well can you describe these people?"..my question is why not? that's all.
    Was he asked not to mention race?
    I heard the show and thought nothing about race........it wasn't until I was sitting in the local take away reading the story in Saturday's Daily Star and it was reported that the race of the attackers was black.

Troll NO! sick of the double standards within the reporting of crime...YES!!

But hey...I "MUST" be a "racist" for thinking that....yeah...that's it.
    Nothing to see here, move on.

piccasso wrote: »
    A troll, trolling for what. My point is the guy had the national airwaves on the supposed #1 radio show in the country with the biggest audience to get the information out. He wasn't even asked the question. "well can you describe these people?"..my question is why not? that's all.
    Was he asked not to mention race?
    I heard the show and thought nothing about race........it wasn't until I was sitting in the local take away reading the story in Saturday's Daily Star and it was reported that the race of the attackers was black.

Troll NO! sick of the double standards within the reporting of crime...YES!!

But hey...I "MUST" be a "racist" for thinking that....yeah...that's it.
    Nothing to see here, move on.

who called you a racist, you are labeling yourself to crank up your argument.

why bring stuff in that does not belong in this debate unless you are trying to provoke a particular response or bring the thread to a point where it is discussing your agenda and not the OP.

the guy was attacked, who attacked him is just a few words of the whole account, yet it has been latched upon and has become the story. I wonder how many similer accounts of attacks there are?

the bottom line is for people to be really careful on the way home at night and if possible, be with a mate or get on the phone with someone if you sense danger. This should be the message from this and not a race debate.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 865 ✭✭✭MajorMax

Hey, I know this guy, he works in Easons in Liffey Valley, nice guy, always helpful. Hope he's OK

Advertisement