Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

career advice

Options
2»

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 3,158 ✭✭✭Arawn

So so far on this career advice thread you actually haven't taken any advice from anyone even the tattooist who did the whole apprenticeship and working thing.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,681 ✭✭✭bodice ripper

Boulger wrote: »

I personally think that would cut out lads getting used as cleaners.

The way people are when they start an apprenticeship, that is all they are good for.

Why is self leaning so frowned upon, once you are clean and smart about it I don't see the problem?

Because this is people's skin/health/lives you are talking about. They have to live with your mistakes forever.

(When it's done wrong, ok, I get that, I saw pictures on facebook yesterday of a "callout tattoo artist" tattooing a girl on her bed, I know thats wrong, but thats the person doing things wrong, the choice of self learning is not wrong)

It's also wrong to assume the worst in everyone

But it is ok to build your career on a pile of people you ****ed up because you didn't want to sit through an apprenticeship?

Its like its the worst thing ever, even to mention it, right up until the artist has a waiting list, then its like, "Yeah hes self taught, hes amazing"

Not from me.

So many closed minded people with one fixed idea of how one thing should be done, its not the 1950's anymore

How about you learn the basics before you start thinking of new ways to do it.

Where does the bandwagon stop?

Here. You say what you just said here in a tattoo shop and then wonder why you don't get the apprenticeship.

Hubris.

• Registered Users Posts: 14,681 ✭✭✭✭P_1

Boddice Ripper has answered this far better than anybody else here is qualified to do but just to reinforce the message
    I was prepared to work and apprentice, I asked to go part time in my place but they just don't do that, I'm not afraid of hard work, I'm not lazy, I have a manual job and do 50-60 hours a week, Its evening / night shift but it just doesn't fit around the opening hours of a shop.

Tattoo apprentices, even artists do go on the dole, thats a fact

You can claim the dole but don't come crying if you get stung for it. What industry is your manual job in? First step should be for you to try find a job in that industry that will let you work the hours to suit the apprenticeship

They should be paid, every other trade apprentice is paid,
    They are doing a job after all, there are no laws to protect apprentices getting shafted, and I imagine that happens quite a lot

I also think there should be FAS involvment, tattooing is a trade after all
    Phase learning, practical in the shop, theory with FAS

Good idea but sadly that won't help you in the situation you are seeking advice in

In most trades it is useful to learn how things are done from the bottom up, how else are you going to learn?

There are an array of college grants available, Full time college isn't "Full Time" So if you were lucky and got a job to work, its a hell of a lot easier to work around as you never have a full day, possibly never even a full week.

Depends entirely on the course, a hell of a lot of degrees are indeed full time

Why is self leaning so frowned upon, once you are clean and smart about it I don't see the problem?

(When it's done wrong, ok, I get that, I saw pictures on facebook yesterday of a "callout tattoo artist" tattooing a girl on her bed, I know thats wrong, but thats the person doing things wrong, the choice of self learning is not wrong)

It's also wrong to assume the worst in everyone

Its like its the worst thing ever, even to mention it, right up until the artist has a waiting list, then its like, "Yeah hes self taught, hes amazing"

So many closed minded people with one fixed idea of how one thing should be done, its not the 1950's anymore

Where does the bandwagon stop?

I can understand your frustration but to be honest that comes across as a bit of a rant. Ranting can be useful at times but sadly I don't think it is in this case

You've asked for advice, you've gotten a hell of a lot of good advice here. It is a very tough industry to get into and I do hope you do well in it but you really shouldn't be acting the way you are towards a lot of the helpful advice you're getting.

• Registered Users Posts: 22 Boulger

Anyone else want to tell me how wrong I am at everything?

29wmrns.jpg

• Registered Users Posts: 14,681 ✭✭✭✭P_1

Dude you asked for advice not a pat on the back...

• Advertisement

If you can't take advice from a tattoo artist about how to get an apprenticeship, I'd say you might have a hard time of an actual apprenticeship.

• Registered Users Posts: 30,123 ✭✭✭✭Star Lord

29wmrns.jpg

I can't decide if you're playing the victim or trolling. I'm hoping that it's the latter. You've been given lots of very good advice here, yet because it's not what you want to hear, and because it's been pointed out where you are either mistaken or out-and-out wrong, you're portraying this as people having a go at you, or banding against you. Either man (or woman) up and accept that you're mistaken, and use the advice given to you here, or continue to play the victim.

If you do the former, it will help you to approach a tattoo apprenticeship in the right manner, and ensure that you're fully equipped to do so. If you do the latter, I'll close this thread and temporarily remove your access to the forum, as thus far, all you've done is be argumentative and dismissive of advice that has been given to you for your benefit, that you sought out.

This is in your hands now.

• Registered Users Posts: 22 Boulger

I can't decide if you're playing the victim or trolling. I'm hoping that it's the latter. You've been given lots of very good advice here, yet because it's not what you want to hear, and because it's been pointed out where you are either mistaken or out-and-out wrong, you're portraying this as people having a go at you, or banding against you. Either man (or woman) up and accept that you're mistaken, and use the advice given to you here, or continue to play the victim.

If you do the former, it will help you to approach a tattoo apprenticeship in the right manner, and ensure that you're fully equipped to do so. If you do the latter, I'll close this thread and temporarily remove your access to the forum, as thus far, all you've done is be argumentative and dismissive of advice that has been given to you for your benefit, that you sought out.

Take your boards forum and shove it up your arse.

• Registered Users Posts: 30,123 ✭✭✭✭Star Lord

Banned for a week.

This is dead smarmy of me, but I am going to do it anyway.

Take all the horimouja-ripoffs out of your portfolio. I can see it, so can other tattoo artists.

• Advertisement
  • Moderators, Computer Games Moderators, Music Moderators, Regional Midlands Moderators Posts: 24,125 Mod ✭✭✭✭Angron

That's sort of how it seemed to me, seemed they were just annoyed that they weren't being agreed with.

• Registered Users Posts: 11,224 ✭✭✭✭Marty McFly

No point in covering the rest as Bodice Ripper pretty much covered it all and said it better than most could as she is an artist

But eh hate to break it to you, you do any kind of apprenticeship you are essentially a cleaner the first few months because you have no other use until you build up the skills which are slowly thought. If you can't handle that or having to do shop runs or being a dogs body really the first few months in any apprenticeship you really wont last long at it.

Advertisement