Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Wireless Printing Setup Help

• 23-07-2012 3:15pm
    Registered Users Posts: 22

Could someone recommend a solution for connecting a network printer to UPC router, which is in another room.
    • The printer cannot be in the same room as the router.
    • There is no way for cabling the router to the printer.
    • There isn't a comptuer that's always on (to use as a server).
    Is there a device I can get for the LAN printer that can communicate with the router/PCs?

Thanks people.

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,456 ✭✭✭FSL

Is the printer a wireless printer or not. If it isn't and you can't run an ethernet cable to it the you could try poweline adapters. I.ve never used them but others have. I prefer to use cable for eveything except casual browsing.

• Registered Users Posts: 22 Delissimo

Hi FSL,

It's not a wireless printer, unfortunately. I've heard about the mains-powered network plugs and might look into them.

Thanks.

• Registered Users Posts: 153 ✭✭jos360

Delissimo wrote: »
    Could someone recommend a solution for connecting a network printer to UPC router, which is in another room.
    • The printer cannot be in the same room as the router.
    • There is no way for cabling the router to the printer.
    • There isn't a comptuer that's always on (to use as a server).
    Is there a device I can get for the LAN printer that can communicate with the router/PCs?

Thanks people.

You can get something called a Print Server, there pretty inexpensive (last time I checked). This will hook up to the printer and allow it connect directly to your computers (or you can route it through your current wifi network if your OCD like me and don't want two wifi networks in your house :)
    You'll need a print server with built in wifi, or you can just buy a wifi router (another modem not necessary) and hook that up to a non wifi Print Server to wifi-ify it.

good luck!

• Registered Users Posts: 153 ✭✭jos360

Sry for the double post,

Something like this
    http://www.amazon.co.uk/TP-Link-TL-WPS510U-Wireless-Server-single/dp/B001LIJYMA/ref=sr_1_8?s=computers&ie=UTF8&qid=1343059795&sr=1-8

If you shop around you can go cheaper or if you have a spare wifi router at home get a non wifi server and connect it to the router (cheaper again).

• Registered Users Posts: 22 Delissimo

Thanks Jos360, that TP-Link looks like what I need. Thanks a mill.

• Advertisement
Advertisement