Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Need 5 tonnes of pebbles at a good price!

Options
  • 23-07-2012 3:18pm
    Closed Accounts Posts: 1,858 ✭✭✭

For my back yard. Looking for a grey/brown beach pebble. Got a quote of 145 per tonne :eek:. Can't afford that. I don't want the cheaper chippings as I want it to look nice. Anyone any recommendations for anywhere in Dublin that can do it cheaper? It's 23 ft long x 7 ft wide and 6 inch deep. This works out at 5 tonne I think?

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 28,458 ✭✭✭✭looksee

There are brownish pebbles come from Wexford http://www.wexfordbeachpebble.com/

I have purchased pebbles locally for around €80 a tonne (loose) and they look nice, much nicer than the more expensive chippings. I think they are from the above company. You could ring them and ask if they supply anyone in Dublin.

These are not regarded as decorative pebbles, and I find you have to keep looking till they get a load of nice coloured ones and ask specifically for those pebbles.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,858 ✭✭✭CuppaCocoa

looksee wrote: »
    There are brownish pebbles come from Wexford http://www.wexfordbeachpebble.com/

I have purchased pebbles locally for around €80 a tonne (loose) and they look nice, much nicer than the more expensive chippings. I think they are from the above company. You could ring them and ask if they supply anyone in Dublin.

These are not regarded as decorative pebbles, and I find you have to keep looking till they get a load of nice coloured ones and ask specifically for those pebbles.

Thanks. Rang them and they gave me a number for some guy in Dublin who may be able to deliver. Waiting for him to call!

• Registered Users Posts: 3,772 ✭✭✭jameshayes

I will be looking for something very similar in the next 2 weeks, can you let me know how you got on?

• Registered Users Posts: 2,050 ✭✭✭wait4me

I used the sandman - he's based in Rathcoole, Co. Dublin. Nothing to do with the guy - but I got what I thought was value and a good service. http://www.thesand-man.com/index.php

wait4me wrote: »
    I used the sandman - he's based in Rathcoole, Co. Dublin. Nothing to do with the guy - but I got what I thought was value and a good service. http://www.thesand-man.com/index.php

Thanks, I saw his site. I'll give him a buzz in the morning!

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 5,834 ✭✭✭Sonnenblumen

For my back yard. Looking for a grey/brown beach pebble. Got a quote of 145 per tonne :eek:. Can't afford that. I don't want the cheaper chippings as I want it to look nice. Anyone any recommendations for anywhere in Dublin that can do it cheaper? It's 23 ft long x 7 ft wide and 6 inch deep. This works out at 5 tonne I think?

Why so deep? Much more cost effective to put in sub-base (150mm) of hardcore (cheap as chips), compact it and blind with dust to match top layer which shouldn't be any more than 50mm ( 2") deep).

BTW it will be impossible to walk on or wheel anything on 6" pebble. Much more practical to use a chipped stone which will be more compactable and stable. Deep pebble creates tracks and ridges which are also unsightly.

Plenty of choice for nice ornamental chipped stones around. Apart from colour, you also need to consider preferred size.

• Registered Users Posts: 28,458 ✭✭✭✭looksee

Why so deep? Much more cost effective to put in sub-base (150mm) of hardcore (cheap as chips), compact it and blind with dust to match top layer which shouldn't be any more than 50mm ( 2") deep).

BTW it will be impossible to walk on or wheel anything on 6" pebble. Much more practical to use a chipped stone which will be more compactable and stable. Deep pebble creates tracks and ridges which are also unsightly.

Plenty of choice for nice ornamental chipped stones around. Apart from colour, you also need to consider preferred size.

Nope, I'm with lily on this, I hate the look of chipped stone, it reminds me of graves. Agreed the pebbles do ridge and move about a bit, but I still prefer the look of them, and they are much easier to rake leaves out of, the rake kind of slides between the pebbles, unlike the stones that you cannot rake or brush. They are easier on the grandchildren's feet too.

When we had our house renovated last year our builders had to dig up the whole backyard. They put down hardcore and we got a small bit of decking down outside the patio doors. The decking is 8 inches high so I thought 6 inches would be deep enough for the pebbles? I could probably go 5 inches instead.

I don't like chipped stone and I prefer the natural look of the pebbles. We won't be wheeling anything over it and have no little feet to get hurt! There was chipped stone in the front garden when we moved in which has been there for over 10 years and it's still perfect. It doesn't ridge or move around. If I have any left over pebbles I might top it up with them as I don't like the colour of the stones :o

Thanks everyone, just ordered river pebble from The Sandman at only 50 euro per tonne. Will be delivered tomorrow :D

Advertisement