Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Non national party days

• 23-07-2012 3:41pm
    Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 885 ✭✭✭

Since Ireland has become a multicultural society I have met a few non nationals who would like to have their birth country celebrated on a particular day like St-Patricks day or as we also have Aistralia day here in certain bars.
    Should we officially recognise Polish day in Ireland or Nigeria day or Bastille day.
    It would be a good excuse for them to come together and spend money in the economy also recognising their culture.

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,689 ✭✭✭Tombi!

No, just do what the Irish do: grab a 12 pack, get pissed and declare it a "celebration".

• Closed Accounts Posts: 12,395 ✭✭✭✭mikemac1

The Brazilians in Gort used to hold a festival, popular with the locals

I'm still waiting for Galway to show some samba hurling, the team isn't very good

• Closed Accounts Posts: 10,808 ✭✭✭✭chin_grin

But they do...in their own themed (or nationality run) pub. Nothing is stopping them from celebrating it, just probably wouldn't get much press.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,808 ✭✭✭FatherLen

not everybody gets a day.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 19,258 ✭✭✭✭MrStuffins

The only people available to celebrate Poland Day would be the Irish.

Sure the Poles would be too busy in work! :pac:

• Advertisement
  • Moderators, Music Moderators Posts: 35,945 Mod ✭✭✭✭dr.bollocko

mod
    creepingdeath
    Don't post in this thread again.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 885 ✭✭✭Sappa

It might help them integrate into society here a bit more as often they stick to their own culture and friends.
    Plus it would be a huge money spinner if the 300k Polish and 100k Nigerians were out buying food and drink to celebrate,give us an insight to their food and mannerisms that we might not be aware off and it would be a positive time for them to show us how they celebrate.

Sappa wrote: »
    It might help them integrate into society here a bit more as often they stick to their own culture and friends.
    Plus it would be a huge money spinner if the 300k Polish and 100k Nigerians were out buying food and drink to celebrate,give us an insight to their food and mannerisms that we might not be aware off and it would be a positive time for them to show us how they celebrate.

True. I remember the Chinese students in college putting on some food and festivities for their new year. The look of shock when I said thank you (sounds like "shu-shea" or something...doesn't it?) was priceless. I had to turn to my mate and go "eh, did I say something wrong?", he comforted me on the fact that his mate didn't expect anyone to say thanks. D'aw.

What was my point, yeah festivities with other nationalities. Great bit o'craic.

• Registered Users Posts: 20 The Very Hungry Catterpillar

I hope you are as generous with your welcome when the Orange Order come marching down O'Connell Street in their attempt to "integrate into society". I'm sure they'd love to give you an insight into their "mannerisms"! :eek:

I'm off now to research the food habits of our northern brethern and will report back later :D

I hope you are as generous with your welcome when the Orange Order come marching down O'Connell Street in their attempt to "integrate into society". I'm sure they'd love to give you an insight into their "mannerisms"! :eek:

I'm off now to research the food habits of our northern brethern and will report back later :D

:D

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 22,646 ✭✭✭✭Sauve

Carrick-on-Shannon in Leitrim have a multi-cultural festival every year (I presume it's still running).
    All the local foreigners (?) get together and put on a huge display of food, drink, dance and whatever else, and entertain the Irish for a weekend.
    Was at it a couple of years ago, more events like it would be great.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,576 ✭✭✭IrishAm

300k Polish and 100k Nigerians .

Where are you getting your figures from?:confused:

• Closed Accounts Posts: 12,395 ✭✭✭✭mikemac1

Brown lemonade, it's vile!

However the Ulster fry can't be beat, it has soda bread
    Ulster fry > Irish fry

mikemac1 wrote: »
    Brown lemonade, it's vile!

However the Ulster fry can't be beat, it has soda bread
    Ulster fry > Irish fry

+1! It's the potato farls...<homer drool>

Saint Patricks Day isnt an Irish event, its a multicultural one. The Dublin Parade was told to drop its Christian theme. Its a day for all, that should suffice.

If they want their own day, let them fund it themselves. Like the Chinese do, for Chinese New Year celebrations in Dublin.

IrishAm wrote: »
    Saint Patricks Day isnt an Irish event, its a multicultural one. The Dublin Parade was told to drop its Christian theme. Its a day for all, that should suffice.

If they want their own day, let them fund it themselves. Like the Chinese do, for Chinese New Year celebrations in Dublin.

The Chinese. Great bunch of lads.

They pay there way with taxes and some have businesses,surely the local councils could donate the use of a facility to use and the immigrants can come together with a fundraiser or get a little dig out if it is a recognised national day.

They pay there way with taxes and some have businesses,surely the local councils could donate the use of a facility to use and the immigrants can come together with a fundraiser or get a little dig out if it is a recognised national day.

How many different days shall we have? There are some 180 different nationalities living in Ireland. Some from different regions. Cant just have a Spanish Day, we must also have a Basque day etc. etc.

Or we could just have one day inclusive of all and have a major session. Wait, we do. Saint Patrick's Day.

Very simple the we should have a non national day in recognition off all the recent immigrants and a thank you for what they bring to Ireland as well as giving a chance to explore their culture.
    We all know St-Patricks day has been hijacked by the drinks industry and the day is a mess by 4pm,a non national day focusing on themed events and food would be great,get to sample different foods and see different customs,the govt should really be promoting such an idea as it would help folk get to know everyone and generate much needed spending in the economy.
    They pay taxes here,they rear their families here and we can accommodate them one day that all can enjoy.

• Registered Users Posts: 20 The Very Hungry Catterpillar

Very simple the we should have a non national day in recognition off all the recent immigrants and a thank you for what they bring to Ireland as well as giving a chance to explore their culture.
    We all know St-Patricks day has been hijacked by the drinks industry and the day is a mess by 4pm,a non national day focusing on themed events and food would be great,get to sample different foods and see different customs,the govt should really be promoting such an idea as it would help folk get to know everyone and generate much needed spending in the economy.
    They pay taxes here,they rear their families here and we can accommodate them one day that all can enjoy.
    O.K. you've win me over but kindly ensure that we get an additional bank holiday - can't be wasting any of the existing ones. :D

• Advertisement

What immigrant quango(of which there are 200 plus) employs you?

Ha Ha,
    I wish I was on one of those gravy trains,I am just trying to look positively on the whole situation,
    We need to all get along and immigration is going north not south so let's embrace ideas and customs from other cultures that Irish folk might not otherwise get a chance to experience.
    Immigrants often feel alienated and for the whole country to have one big celebration on 1 day of the year,this would send a positive message to everyone here that we acknowledge their customs and are happy to try and experience it ourselves as they do our customs also the message this would send to the international community would be that we are open to integration and moving with the times.

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 536 ✭✭✭Clareboy

Great idea! Why not start by encouraging our largest ethnic minority, the British, to celebrate their culture. A great opportunity was missed recently by not publicly celebrating the Diamond Jubilee of Her Majesty Queen Elizabeth II here in Ireland. Why not also celebrate the culture of our Celtic neighbours, the Welsh and the Scots! I am sure that members of our largest ethnic minority would love to be able to celebrate their culture openly here in the Republic of Ireland now that there is a new relationship between our two countries.

Ha Ha,
    I wish I was on one of those gravy trains,I am just trying to look positively on the whole situation,
    We need to all get along and immigration is going north not south so let's embrace ideas and customs from other cultures that Irish folk might not otherwise get a chance to experience.
    Immigrants often feel alienated and for the whole country to have one big celebration on 1 day of the year,this would send a positive message to everyone here that we acknowledge their customs and are happy to try and experience it ourselves as they do our customs also the message this would send to the international community would be that we are open to integration and moving with the times.

Cool. Set it up yourself if you feel so strongly about it.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,043 ✭✭✭SocSocPol

Nobody suggested that it should be funded, but actually why not, our new Irish have done this country a great service, why shouldn't they get some recognition and some funding.
    maybe we re name the August Bank Holiday "New Ireland Day":)

Clareboy wrote: »
    Great idea! Why not start by encouraging our largest ethnic minority, the British, to celebrate their culture. A great opportunity was missed recently by not publicly celebrating the Diamond Jubilee of Her Majesty Queen Elizabeth II here in Ireland. Why not also celebrate the culture of our Celtic neighbours, the Welsh and the Scots! I am sure that members of our largest ethnic minority would love to be able to celebrate their culture openly here in the Republic of Ireland now that there is a new relationship between our two countries.
    Recent census figures would indicate the Poles are biggest non Irish national group, not the British. But I agree with you it would be a great start.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 46,938 ✭✭✭✭Nodin

Saint Patricks Day isnt an Irish event, its a multicultural one. The Dublin Parade was told to drop its Christian theme............

It was? News to me. Doubtless you've a source for that.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 6,496 ✭✭✭Boombastic

I suppose we could hold it any day really, seen as they are all working in our jobs:P

I think we should have more celebrations of our Irish heritage.

SocSocPol wrote: »
    Nobody suggested that it should be funded, but actually why not, our new Irish have done this country a great service, why shouldn't they get some recognition and some funding.
    maybe we re name the August Bank Holiday "New Ireland Day":)

New Irish, what a silly term. Does that make us natives "old Irish?"

Great service, such as?

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 3,050 ✭✭✭token101

Boombastic wrote: »
    I suppose we could hold it any day really, seen as they are all working in our jobs:P

I think we should have more celebrations of our Irish heritage.

Our jobs? Are we just lending them the job? Do they have it on HP or something?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 794 ✭✭✭bluecode

Nodin wrote: »
    It was? News to me. Doubtless you've a source for that.
    Take a look at the video footage of most Paddy's parades. Everyone seems to represented. Most of the bigger parades have high proportion of non Irish represented. That's the charm of St Patrick's Day. Anybody can celebrate it anywhere.

As for setting aside a particular day to celebrate immigrants. There's no need for it. They all have their own days which they all celebrate in their own way. It doesn't happen anywhere else. Even if Paddy's day is widely celebrated it doesn't mean it's offically sanctioned in other countries.

It's a bit of a daft idea.

bluecode wrote: »
    Take a look at the video footage of most Paddy's parades. Everyone seems to represented. Most of the bigger parades have high proportion of non Irish represented. That's the charm of St Patrick's Day. Anybody can celebrate it anywhere. .

That's true but not what yer man seemed to be saying.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 6,496 ✭✭✭Boombastic

token101 wrote: »
    Our jobs? Are we just lending them the job? Do they have it on HP or something?

Yes, and our women

There is a desk at the airport to return them to when they're finished*

*may not be true

Re the Thread title exactly what is a "Non National"?
    Most people have a nationality with a few exceptions.

New Irish, what a silly term. Does that make us natives "old Irish?"

Great service, such as?

Well they probably don't have an extensive family background here, so they are new to Ireland. They took a lot of work Irish people didn't want during the Celtic Tiger. So they provided a useful service to Irish employers who needed them.

• Advertisement

Well they probably don't have an extensive family background here, so they are new to Ireland. They took a lot of work Irish people didn't want during the Celtic Tiger. So they provided a useful service to Irish employers who needed them.

So, they are economic migrants. Not new Irish. You don't just become Irish. Are the thousands of Irish immigrants in Australia, new Australians?

A silly term coined by the goons in RTE.

So, they are economic migrants. Not new Irish. You don't just become Irish. Are the thousands of Irish immigrants in Australia, new Australians?

Yes, thats nice.

Now, whats all this about
    The Dublin Parade was told to drop its Christian theme
    ?

If they have a passport, they are.

If they have a passport, they are.

Sure they are.

Sure they are.

Glad we agree :)

• Advertisement

Yes, thats nice.

Now, whats all this about ?

The organiser was on the radio and claimed that they were trying to drop all direct references to Christianity and instead have one float for all religions.

Some were economic migrants , some were refugees, all did us a great services by bringing us from being an insular, mono-ethnic and broadly backward land, to a more modern mulicultural and open place where all creeds, coulours, and sexualities can celebrate their diverse and often colouful contribution to a NEW and more vibrant Ireland.

Happily thousands of people become Irish every year in ceramonies usually held at the national convention centre. Great days , you should go down and watch , it is truely wonderful.
    http://www.irishtimes.com/newspaper/breaking/2012/0614/breaking50.html

The organiser was on the radio and claimed that they were trying to drop all direct references to Christianity and instead have one float for all religions.

The only explicit reference to christianity in the parade I seem recall was St Patrick. A google search returns a blank. I would suggest his imagination was having a bit of a spasm.

Some were economic migrants ,

Most of them were.
    some were refugees,

Circa 1,000 people received refugee status in Ireland

all did us a great services by bringing us from being an insular, mono-ethnic and broadly backward land, to a more modern mulicultural and open place where all creeds, coulours, and sexualities can celebrate their diverse and often colouful contribution to a NEW and more vibrant Ireland.

Meaningless drivel that reads like a press release issued by the Immigrant council of Ireland. Do you work for them?

Happily thousands of people become Irish every year in ceramonies usually held at the national convention centre. Great days , you should go down and watch , it is truely wonderful.
    http://www.irishtimes.com/newspaper/breaking/2012/0614/breaking50.html

Funnily enough, thousands of them have yet to receive their passports yet as the Passport Office does not believe them to be whom they say they are. Yet Shatter gave them citizenship. Funny shit.

Thousands of Nigerians recently granted citizenship in Ireland have had their applications for Irish passports returned.

Metro Éireann has learned that the Passport Office doubts that some of the documents supplied with the applications, such as birth and marriage certificates, are genuine – despite being accepted by the Department of Justice in granting them citizenship.

Metro Eireann May 2012.

They still haven't got them.....

Funnily enough, thousands of them have yet to receive their passports yet as the Passport Office does not believe them to be whom they say they are. Yet Shatter gave them citizenship. Funny shit.
    Metro Eireann May 2012.

That story was parsed before, and it didn't turn into the festival of joy you were aiming for.

Funny enough, my last passport application was returned, and I'm fairly sure I'm who I say I am.

Metro Eireann May 2012.

Having you been ringing and checking up or something? :pac: So what? Even if what you're saying is right and a few have pulled a fast one, does that mean that we should just shut the borders to anyone not wearing a paddy cap and eating a breakfast roll?

That story was parsed before, and it didn't turn into the festival of joy you were aiming for.

Funny enough, my last passport application was returned, and I'm fairly sure I'm who I say I am.

Sure, Nodin. Sure.

Thinking of moving to pastures new?

Metro Eireann May 2012.

You done that thread before and you lost hands down.:D

• Advertisement
Advertisement