Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Daley Thompson and his racist slur

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,930 ✭✭✭Jimoslimos

Sea Filly wrote: »
    What's the slur? That Irish people are stupid? Is this seriously common in the UK. :eek:
    Yes, it is common unfortunately. I've heard it mentioned a few times in company, if something was done backwards or contrary to common sense it would be described as a bit "Irish". Oblivious to the fact I was present.

So not a direct slur on me, but a throwaway negative stereotype.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,117 ✭✭✭Rasheed

He's in the new Daz ad with Barry from Eastenders
    I was just about to ask the thread was that him!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 6,327 ✭✭✭Madam_X

It was just a joke.
    Tombo2001 wrote: »
    Constantly seeing Irish people talking about paddies in a derogatory sense on sites like politics.ie.
    Yep, Irish people putting down Irish people non jokingly is far worse IMO - simply because it's so retarded.

• Registered Users Posts: 105 ✭✭Mervin J Minky

Onixx wrote: »
    Yep, Irish people putting down Irish people non jokingly is far worse IMO - simply because it's so retarded.

So you think that Irish people insulting other Irish people is retarded? Is that not a total contradiction?

So you think that Irish people insulting other Irish people is retarded? Is that not a total contradiction?
    I'm saying it's retarded not because they're Irish but because of their lack of very basic self awareness, and their glaring inability to spot irony.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 5,219 ✭✭✭woodoo

Jimoslimos wrote: »
    Yes, it is common unfortunately. I've heard it mentioned a few times in company, if something was done backwards or contrary to common sense it would be described as a bit "Irish". Oblivious to the fact I was present.

So not a direct slur on me, but a throwaway negative stereotype.

And that is exactly why comments like Daly Thompson's should not be tolerated. These anti-Irish slurs have been handed down from generation to generation for hundreds of years. Why should we tolerate it?

It is completely unacceptable to make any type of racist comment these days, and rightly so. So why should we put up with centuries old casual prejudice.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 18,067 ✭✭✭✭fryup

^^^^^^^^^^

ah will ya go away out of dat, and loosen up

here have a laugh

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 34,208 ✭✭✭✭NIMAN

I couldn't give a toss, honestly.

Its a sad world when we Irish start phoning in to TV stations to complain about something as insignificant as this.

• Registered Users Posts: 105 ✭✭Mervin J Minky

I'm saying it's retarded not because they're Irish but because of their lack of very basic self awareness, and their glaring inability to spot irony.

Oh okay, I just thought that you were insulting Irish people who insult other Irish people, I didn't know you you were being ironic.

Well as a non-national I can genuinely say that I really like Irish people and don't really see a real reason to insult the characteristics of the people on this island.

In saying that I do find it strange that a black sports person felt that they needed to insult another race of people, even if it was intended joke, especially after the couple of high profile race rows in English football recently.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,322 ✭✭✭emo72

havent read the thread. but i hope were not being too precious about this. don't tell me we are turning into a nation of easily offended people. we're a nation of slaggers, lets be man enough to take it(no offence to women there)

• Advertisement
  • Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 806 ✭✭✭getzls

They all look the same

Now saying all black people look the same, that is racist. Are the Irish a race? Not to me anyway. If they are, who are they.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 8,103 ✭✭✭DenMan

It's about time we had bit more respect for ourselves as a nation. Never heard of him until I started reading about him. You can laugh off a joke/friendly vibe but not when it comes to this man. He has a history of arrogance and rudeness. Even the British public find it hard to warm to him.

http://www.independent.co.uk/sport/general/athletics/the-champion-that-time-forgot-why-do-we-find-it-so-hard-to-love-daley-thompson-876424.html

• Closed Accounts Posts: 270 ✭✭geneyuss

getzls wrote: »
    Now saying all black people look the same, that is racist. Are the Irish a race? Not to me anyway. If they are, who are they.
    red-headed alcoholic boxers usually ,, :D

• Closed Accounts Posts: 39 torrential1

Samich wrote: »
    Yeah because it's not like we ever slag the British or anything.

I have no problem with it, thought us irish were all about having the craic?

Yes and it is this "having the craic" attitude of excessive drinking, rowdy behaviour and smashing up apartments in Australia, USA, New Zealand etc that helps fuel the stereotypical image of us Irish as drunken thick louts. As a nation that is and will continue to experience high levels of emigration, some of us need to start acting civilised and mature if we ever want to challenge this awful view of us all being stupid and only interested in drink. But sadly some of us never will......

• Closed Accounts Posts: 5,073 ✭✭✭Pottler

I was a good runner as a kid, I ran cross-country for London and Daley Thompson was my coach, me and a load of other broke inner city kids whose families had feck all money for coaching. He put in countless hours coaching, for free. He was the soundest man I've ever come across and if he wants to make a joke about my mum, that's fine by me, never mind about the Irish. I'm Irish btw. Daley is a gent.:) BTW, most of those kids were London-Irish/black/immigrants so he's already put his money where his mouth is, he's no rascist.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 747 ✭✭✭kr7

Pottler wrote: »
    I was a good runner as a kid, I ran cross-country for London and Daley Thompson was my coach, me and a load of other broke inner city kids whose families had feck all money for coaching. He put in countless hours coaching, for free. He was the soundest man I've ever come across and if he wants to make a joke about my mum, that's fine by me, never mind about the Irish. I'm Irish btw. Daley is a gent.:) BTW, most of those kids were London-Irish/black/immigrants so he's already put his money where his mouth is, he's no rascist.

I don't think he's a racist, I think he's just a bit thick!

• Hosted Moderators Posts: 7,486 ✭✭✭Red Alert

It's not a slur, I'm sorry to say it's simply a fact.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 46,938 ✭✭✭✭Nodin

Red Alert wrote: »

What is?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,740 ✭✭✭kingtiger

ffs what a non event, a racist slur me hole

talk about overly sensitive people on this thread

• Advertisement

kr7 wrote: »
    I don't think he's a racist, I think he's just a bit thick!
    Well that's fair enough so.:D I never claimed he was the brightest either. Nice lad though.

• Registered Users Posts: 3 garstoney

I moved to a major UK city from Wicklow several months ago and since then I have been racially abused and harrassed to the extent I am presently on a police protection plan and my landlord has had enough and is afraid his property will be further damaged so has given me an eviction notice. I live each day in fear and am afraid to go outdoors as its just too much hassle and its hard trying to pretend it doesnt get to me. I've had disturbing threats from one particular family who happen to be the worst offenders and who also happen to be black against me and my two small dogs, I have my front door regularly kicked in and stuff thrown at my windows, horrible names shouted at me in the street, I could go on and on. How and ever, my immediate concern is to find somewhere else to live in - I HOPE - a safer area - without a job its almost impossible to find accommodation, but thats another thread. MY CRIME? I am Irish. I have depression, anxiety and post traumatic stress as a result of all this. Anyone who says they couldn't care less about racism - live a day in my shoes and then let me ask you the same question only then. Look at the bigger picture folks.
    Kath.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,576 ✭✭✭IrishAm

Blacks are more racist than whites. Anyone who lived in a predominantly black area will attest to this.

garstoney wrote: »
    I moved to a major UK city from Wicklow several months ago and since then I have been racially abused and harrassed to the extent I am presently on a police protection plan and my landlord has had enough and is afraid his property will be further damaged so has given me an eviction notice. I live each day in fear and am afraid to go outdoors as its just too much hassle and its hard trying to pretend it doesnt get to me. I've had disturbing threats from one particular family who happen to be the worst offenders and who also happen to be black against me and my two small dogs, I have my front door regularly kicked in and stuff thrown at my windows, horrible names shouted at me in the street, I could go on and on. How and ever, my immediate concern is to find somewhere else to live in - I HOPE - a safer area - without a job its almost impossible to find accommodation, but thats another thread. MY CRIME? I am Irish. I have depression, anxiety and post traumatic stress as a result of all this. Anyone who says they couldn't care less about racism - live a day in my shoes and then let me ask you the same question only then. Look at the bigger picture folks.
    Kath.
    I see where you've gone wrong there, - get bigger dogs.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,364 ✭✭✭golden lane

Kath.

you, did pick the wrong place......was it a self choice..

• Registered Users Posts: 444 ✭✭AEDIC

IrishAm wrote: »
    Why British media personalities get away with slagging off certain nationalities and ethnicities but not others.

So... personality might be a stretch...but...ok for say Des Bishop to do it? Or any number of Irish 'comedians' who can slag their own or any other persons ethnicity....?

And before you say...ahhhhh come on..they are comedians... well.... I believe that Thompson was also making a joke (all be it a p*ss poor not funny one).... but you see ...he is a Brit.... hence the twisted knickers and bed wetting....

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 32,370 ✭✭✭✭Son Of A Vidic

danniemcq wrote: »
    rabble rabble rabble...

actually i just checked and the amounts of f*cks i give is 0

Yet ironically, you obviously did give a fúck enough to bother posting that shyte.

AEDIC wrote: »
    So... personality might be a stretch...but...ok for say Des Bishop to do it? Or any number of Irish 'comedians' who can slag their own or any other persons ethnicity....?

And before you say...ahhhhh come on..they are comedians... well.... I believe that Thompson was also making a joke (all be it a p*ss poor not funny one).... but you see ...he is a Brit.... hence the twisted knickers and bed wetting....

I don't give a bollix what comedians and celebrities say about Ireland or her people. Its the double standards that boil my piss. If the roles were reversed and an Irish dude said something derogatory about Thompsons ethnic background, this thread would have 300 replies and the media would be going ape****.

• Registered Users Posts: 444 ✭✭AEDIC

I don't give a bollix what comedians and celebrities say about Ireland or her people. Its the double standards that boil my piss. If the roles were reversed and an Irish dude said something derogatory about Thompsons ethnic background, this thread would have 300 replies and the media would be going ape****.

Read the thread.... plenty already have.

It was a joke...get over yourself. TV shows like Father Ted et al have portrayed the same stereotype about Ireland for years.

If your p*ss is boiling then perhaps you should calm down... or perhaps find something worthwhile to get so twisted about.

I don't care what this 80's relic thinks.

Red Alert wrote: »
    That Irish people are stupid? I'm not. I doubt you think you are either.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 26,567 ✭✭✭✭Fratton Fred

Kath.

Where are you living, it sounds like Beirut on a bad day.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 5,219 ✭✭✭woodoo

That Irish people are stupid?.

14000 people in Tipperary are.

Blacks are more racist than whites. Anyone who lived in a predominantly black area will attest to this.
    But there are probably predominantly white areas or predominantly Asian areas where a minority has to endure racism - how does what you say mean blacks are in the broad sense more racist than whites?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 9,330 ✭✭✭Gran Hermano

It reeks of last weeks bullying victim trying to make himself popular with the bullies by picking on someone else.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,880 ✭✭✭RayCon

LowOdour wrote: »
    Now, best make sure spell checker is working correctly...

How would you know ?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 9,893 ✭✭✭Canis Lupus

Kath.

What city and where in it specifically. You're surely not telling all the story or the truth. I can't see all that directed at you simply for being Irish unless you're the local kids version of crazy cat lady.

But there are probably predominantly white areas or predominantly Asian areas where a minority has to endure racism - how does what you say mean blacks are in the broad sense more racist than whites?

I mean thus, when living in a black area you will be shouted out on a daily basis due your skin colour "hey whiteboy/cracka/peckerwood, whatcha looking at." I mean one in two conversations that I would have with blacks would eventually lead to them bringing up race(as in, whites keeping us down type garbage). I mean your property will be robbed due to you being white. Blacks perceive all whites to be wealthy. Just because they are white. "Oh man, dope kicks whiteboy" "whites got that green, man." I didn't earn good money due to me working two bartending jobs. Nope. It was all gifted to me because I was white. I mean that you will get attacked by "cornerboys" when you walk by their group due to you being a "cracka". Hence the need to get a taxi everywhere. No point in replacing the car. It would just get robbed.

I could continue, but I feel that I've made my point.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 314 ✭✭0066ad

What city and where in it specifically. You're surely not telling all the story or the truth. I can't see all that directed at you simply for being Irish unless you're the local kids version of crazy cat lady.

I believe this guy is telling the truth, and for you to tell him he must be a version of the crazy cat lady, you are no better then them, shame on you :mad:

woodoo wrote: »

If we start judging ourselves purely on the tools we voted in, not one of us would come out of that looking too good.

My constituency elected Conor fucking Lenihan.

Four poxy times.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 5,677 ✭✭✭staker

Why can't we laugh at ourselves any more in this country? Fcuk sake it's not a racist slur, it's just some fella who can keep up with a bread van havin a laugh.As an irishman I couldn't give a fiddlers what he thinks of me tbh.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,235 ✭✭✭ceegee

steddyeddy wrote: »
    Pherekydes wrote: »
    Pimmy_Jage wrote: »
    So he thinks the Irish are bad spelllers? I'm totaly ofended by dis.

I'm surprised to find out that the Irish are a race.

Much ado about nothing, methinks.

Theres no such thing as a race technically anyway.

Olympics Track + Field will be a bit boring so

• Closed Accounts Posts: 12,395 ✭✭✭✭mikemac1

woodoo wrote: »

What is your constituency?

I want to see what saints you have elected

• Closed Accounts Posts: 46,938 ✭✭✭✭Nodin

I mean thus, when living in a black area you will be shouted out on a daily basis due your skin colour "hey whiteboy/cracka/peckerwood, whatcha looking at." I mean one in two conversations that I would have with blacks would eventually lead to them bringing up race(as in, whites keeping us down type garbage). I mean your property will be robbed due to you being white. Blacks perceive all whites to be wealthy. Just because they are white. "Oh man, dope kicks whiteboy" "whites got that green, man." I didn't earn good money due to me working two bartending jobs. Nope. It was all gifted to me because I was white. I mean that you will get attacked by "cornerboys" when you walk by their group due to you being a "cracka". Hence the need to get a taxi everywhere. No point in replacing the car. It would just get robbed.

I could continue, but I feel that I've made my point.

Yep. You lived in a dodgy area, had a bad time of it, therefore 'blacks are more racist than white people'. I see no problems with your reasoning at all.

Nodin wrote: »
    Yep. You lived in a dodgy area, had a bad time of it, therefore 'blacks are more racist than white people'. I see no problems with your reasoning at all.

I am from a dodgy area. This wasn't due to me living in a dodgy area, it was due to me being white. I know the difference.

A year and a bit living in two predominantly black areas really opens ones eyes. I wasn't aware of my skin colour beforehand, but I sure as hell was after.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,969 ✭✭✭my my my

there's only one race
    and that's the human race ok

Humans are a species, not a race. Humans are not a race.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,109 ✭✭✭MaxSteele

Jesus Christ OP .... a racial slur ?

:rolleyes: (x 100,000)

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 34,208 ✭✭✭✭NIMAN

For anyone who found this offensive, watch this
    http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=9tn2EhGK5ok

and then find something worth worrying about in life.

God forbid you ever get something that you really have to worry about in life.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,125 ✭✭✭westendgirlie

Where you from Irisham?

• Advertisement

Where you from Irisham?

South West Dublin, Tallaghtfornia!

Why do you ask?

This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement