Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Daley Thompson and his racist slur

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,125 ✭✭✭westendgirlie

I thought u grew up in London. My mistake

• Registered Users Posts: 1,576 ✭✭✭IrishAm

I thought u grew up in London. My mistake

Why did you presume that? I lived in predominantly black areas in the US, if that's what you are referring to.

Got ya now :)

• Closed Accounts Posts: 6,327 ✭✭✭Madam_X

0066ad wrote: »
    I believe this guy is telling the truth, and for you to tell him he must be a version of the crazy cat lady, you are no better then them, shame on you :mad:
    Do you know many guys named Kath?

I believe she's getting all that abuse though - however I'd have my doubts it's simply because she's Irish.

Got ya now :)

I've friends and acquaintanceship from London, now living in Dublin,that attest to similar experiences.

I take it from your username that you are from the West End of London. Care to share your experiences? ;)

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 16,705 ✭✭✭✭Tigger

Moustached people are so stereotyping

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,743 ✭✭✭blatantrereg

A quip referencing the Irish accent doesn't suggest Irish people are stupid. Legions of noisy dumbasses who don't get the joke and wail about racism - they suggest Irish people are stupid.

Onixx wrote: »
    Do you know many guys named Kath?

Know many people called IrishAm or Onixx?;)

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,674 ✭✭✭AllGunsBlazing

buck65 wrote: »
    Remember his T shirt about Carl Lewis?
    saw it yesterday in the paper
    "Is the worlds 2nd greatest athlete Gay?"

WTF??

I do.

Not suprised at all by his latest faux pas. He's fairly notorious in sporting media circles for having a dodgey sense of humour.

IrishAm wrote: »
    I've friends and acquaintanceship from London, now living in Dublin,that attest to similar experiences.

I take it from your username that you are from the West End of London. Care to share your experiences? ;)

My username strangely relates to an irish location.

I was brought up in South London. If you watched the London Riots on the news, you were looking at the areas I lived, went to school, worked and shopped.

Colour was never an issue to me growing up. My friends are my friends. Not to say that I didn't hear you white or black so and so thrown around. But that was usually because they didn't like each other regardless of their skin.

agree there are also groups of people that detest you because of your skin colour. They're scum so wouldn't have associated with them anyway.

• Advertisement

My username strangely relates to an irish location.

There is no westend in Ireland. Or no place that is referred to as the westend.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,614 ✭✭✭ArtSmart

Who posted the Oylimpic Restaurant at 115 Delancy St NY??

IT'S THE SEINFELD RESTAURANT DINER !!!!!!!!

phil1nj wrote: »
    Maybe he was just advertising this place:

http://www.city-data.com/ny-restaurants/OYLIMPIC-DINER.html

lol. found it. yeah as i say the Seinfeld restaurant.

the spelling is now correct on the sign at the side, but it must have been incorrect for a long time. you have to view it with google street view, it's on the corner of Delancey st.

I mean thus, when living in a black area you will be shouted out on a daily basis due your skin colour "hey whiteboy/cracka/peckerwood, whatcha looking at." I mean one in two conversations that I would have with blacks would eventually lead to them bringing up race(as in, whites keeping us down type garbage). I mean your property will be robbed due to you being white. Blacks perceive all whites to be wealthy. Just because they are white. "Oh man, dope kicks whiteboy" "whites got that green, man." I didn't earn good money due to me working two bartending jobs. Nope. It was all gifted to me because I was white. I mean that you will get attacked by "cornerboys" when you walk by their group due to you being a "cracka". Hence the need to get a taxi everywhere. No point in replacing the car. It would just get robbed.

I could continue, but I feel that I've made my point.

Ahhh....gotcha.

ArtSmart wrote: »
    Ahhh....gotcha.

Care to expand? Don't do a Nodin, now. Expand and give your true opinion.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 6,327 ✭✭✭Madam_X

There is in Ballincollig!

Onixx wrote: »
    There is in Ballincollig!

I am familiar enough with West Cork, me likey. But not too familiar with Ballincollig so I shall take your word for it!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,866 ✭✭✭donegal_man

There is in Bundoran

There is in Bundoran

That there seems to be. You learn something new every day. :)

I would say Bundoran has been glorious these last few hot days.

If the weather keeps up, I may visit myself for a weekend.:cool:

• Closed Accounts Posts: 5,073 ✭✭✭Pottler

my my my wrote: »
    there's only one race
    and that's the human race ok
    mmmkay.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 4,372 ✭✭✭im invisible

An Englishman, a Scotsman and an Irishman were without tickets for the opening ceremonies of the summer Olympics but hoped to be able to talk their way in at the gate. Security was very tight, however, and each of their attempts was met with a stern refusal. While wandering around outside the stadium, the Englishman came upon construction site, which gave him an idea. Grabbing a length of scaffolding, he presented himself at the gate and said, "Johnson, the pole vault," and was admitted. The Scotsman, overhearing this, went at once to search the site. When he came up with a sledge hammer, he presented himself at the gate and said, "McTavish, the hammer." He was also admitted. The Irishman combed the site for an hour and was nearly ready to give up when he spotted his ticket in. Seizing a roll of barbed wire, he presented himself at the gate and announced, "O'Sullivan, fencing."

And that is the gospel according to IrishAm :)

• Registered Users Posts: 3 garstoney

So there's more to my story or I'm not telling the truth, eh?

Yeah, maybe it's because I'm disabled, white, single female and Irish that I'm racially abused in a (BNP) UK city. Now, does that make you doubters feel better? Good.

Ok then, so that's alright so.

Racism is what it is, a HATE CRIME.

And that is the gospel according to IrishAm :)

One is learning.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,460 ✭✭✭legendary.xix

Someone in the UK will have to make an official complaint so that Thompson will be charged for racism. If charges were brought against John Terry, surely charges should be brought against Daley Thompson and let the law decide.

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 2,986 ✭✭✭philstar

here it is folks......

note - the look on alex jones's face..."oh you twat" she's saying to herself

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 537 ✭✭✭rgmmg

I can understand people getting annoyed about this, and those who don't. I don't mind the term "Paddy" that much but I know a lot who dislike it. If the meaning might offend someone or when in doubt, don't say anything at all. And if you do cause offence unintentionally, apologise.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,461 ✭✭✭--Kaiser--

I still don't think people get the joke.
    They think he's saying the tattoist was Irish because it was spelt wrong.
    He's saying the tattoist was Irish because the tattoo was spelt 'Oylimpic', which sounds 'Oirish'.

You'd have to be really up your own hole to think that is racist

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 18,067 ✭✭✭✭fryup

^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^

really:confused:

oh i get ya.....O'lympics as in O'Reilly or O'Brien

so thats what he meant...but are you sure?

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 2,743 ✭✭✭blatantrereg

fryup wrote: »
    ^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^

really:confused:

oh i get ya.....O'lympics as in O'Reilly or O'Brien

so thats what he meant...but are you sure?
    No - oylmpics like OI'll have a pint of Guiness. Harmless wordplay like a few people have mentioned (and been ignored by the righteous). Like I said, it's not Daley Thompson suggesting Irish people are stupid here.

• Registered Users Posts: 69 ✭✭matamoros1965

Back in the day when Daley Thompson was clearly the best athlete that Britain had in an era when they has some real class like Coe and Ovett. He was for many years overlooked when it came to Honours List because it was said that Daley was an outsider who wasn't afraid to speak his mind. Turns out that there's nothing much in his mind anyway. I suppose that you could call him a rebel without a cause. I wonder what Lord Coe would say about this.

<inserts> speling misstake

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 25,243 ✭✭✭✭Jesus Wept

No - oylmpics like OI'll have a pint of Guiness. Harmless wordplay like a few people have mentioned (and been ignored by the righteous). Like I said, it's not Daley Thompson suggesting Irish people are stupid here.

This is how I took it. Silly, crass. But not racist.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 34,208 ✭✭✭✭NIMAN

http://www.irishtimes.com/newspaper/breaking/2012/0723/breaking36.html?via=mr

Why did the BBC apologise? They didn't do anything wrong.

People are getting very quick to apologise these days.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,117 ✭✭✭Rasheed

NIMAN wrote: »
    http://www.irishtimes.com/newspaper/breaking/2012/0723/breaking36.html?via=mr

Why did the BBC apologise? They didn't do anything wrong.

People are getting very quick to apologise these days.
    Yep, I think people are so afraid of offending.

Everyone has gone to the extreme of politically correct.

If the presenter had any cop, he'd have understood the (poor) joke and explained it further for Thompson.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,866 ✭✭✭donegal_man

Given the number of people on here who are prepared to dimiss all Nigerians as thieves, Romanians as welfare cheats, Polish as undercutting the decent Irish worker and Germany's chancellor as the reincarnation of Adolf Hitler it just seems to me that a throw away remark by Daley Thomson has generated a response out of all proportion to it's import.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 4,001 ✭✭✭Mr. Loverman

seamus wrote: »
    I always find it odd when members of minorities - particularly those who have been in the public light and had to break down racist barriers to get there - go on and make remarks like this.

Vijay Singh did something similar about ten years ago when he made a remark that a female player in a pro tournament, "doesn't belong out here" and she was displacing a male competitor. Which is no doubt a remark that was made about Vijay on more than one occasion.

Minorities are racist against other minorities in a moronic attempt to lift themselves above the bottom rung.

Given the number of people on here who are prepared to dimiss all Nigerians as thieves, Romanians as welfare cheats, Polish as undercutting the decent Irish worker and Germany's chancellor as the reincarnation of Adolf Hitler it just seems to me that a throw away remark by Daley Thomson has generated a response out of all proportion to it's import.

I have never seen a single post here which said all Nigerians are thieves and all Romanians are welfare cheats. I have seen some posts saying some Nigerians are thieves and some Romanians are welfare cheats, which is true.

I have seen some ridiculous comments about the Poles alright, and there are still a lot of inappropriate nazi jokes.

However there is a big difference between some moron on Boards.ie saying something inappropriate and a professional who has had media training and is supposedly a role model being racist on TV.

• Registered Users Posts: 16,500 ✭✭✭✭DEFTLEFTHAND

If you think Britain is bad try the USA. Remember poor old Ronan Tynan the tenor who made a quip about two Jewish ladies to an estate agent and ended up causing lasting damage to his career in NYC. Despite numerous public apologies, within 24 hours of the incident the NY Yankees had dropped their long standing tradition of having him perform the national anthem at games. Tynan was also inundated with death threats against himself and his family from sick and twisted individuals.

Silly really, but passing a light hearted remark about Jews in a city like NY is career suicide with the power and influence these people command. The last I heard Ronan had moved to Boston to continue his career.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 34,208 ✭✭✭✭NIMAN

... sure look at the bother Big Ron Atkinson got himself into with his harmless remark about Desailly;)

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 11,906 ✭✭✭✭PhlegmyMoses

Got sent a load of abusive voice mails on Xbox Live the other day from some lad proclaiming the Irish to be stupid whilst simultaneously pronouncing Fenian in the same way that you pronounce genuine. If you are going to take the bigoted road, please do it right.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 4,068 ✭✭✭Bodhisopha

Oy agree. It's harmless. I don't think black people were really in on the stupid paddy jokes from back in the day.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,324 ✭✭✭JustAThought

Ah look; sure ; as the guy Daly used to train & someone else said; Daly grew up in Kilburn & gave a lot of his time for free to train for free athletes & to help give them a chance. This from a guy who won gold in 8 Olympic medals. So maybe he was used to the slagging & just got it wrong. It's the kind of thing an Irishperson would say! Maybe he lost the run of himself in TV & forgot where he was at; or maybe the thought of 20 million people watching him panicked him & he made an offhand joke out if nerves hoping to be funny & win the side over.

He made a ( big) mistake but I think his heart is in the right place with the work he did/does for kids. At least : THANK GOD; the BBC might now be a bit careful about their comments & commentary on the Irish. They are always at it. This might focus their attentions before any big games trouble can start.

Will Katie be British Speaking For this competition I wonder? Or will team Ireland suddenly all be from " the british isles" ...if/when they win.,

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 16,195 ✭✭✭✭Pherekydes

Ah look; sure ; as the guy Daly used to train & someone else said; Daly grew up in Kilburn & gave a lot of his time for free to train for free athletes & to help give them a chance. This from a guy who won gold in 8 Olympic medals.

8?

Are you mixing up your Dalys with your Daleys?

Bodhisopha wrote: »
    Oy agree. It's harmless. I don't think black people were really in on the stupid paddy jokes from back in the day.

Well that's the thing: was it regarding pronunciation or was it regarding the highly common slur that Irish people are stupid and lazy?

The fact of the matter is we don't know for sure. But what we can be sure of is many people will have interpreted it as "he's making a joke about Irish being stupid!" and because it was by an authority figure like the BBC it could be seen as condoning racism.

Personally I think the "ah sure it's only a bit of fun" racism to be the worst as it keeps racism semi-acceptable.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 439 ✭✭Ms.M

After moaning about people being too easy to offend, one British poster posted these comments:
    Aer Lingus was landing their first plane at heathrow.

Paddy the pilot said to Shaemus, 'This is the shortest runway I have ever seen. As soon as we land I want full thrust, and maximum brakes'.

They landed, and even with maximum reverse thrust, and melted brakes they only just stopped from over-running the runway.

When they had stopped, a mere 10 feet from the end of the tarmac, Paddy said to Shaemus, 'Thats the shortest runway I have ever seen'.

To which Shaemus replied, ' That is so, but have you seen the bloody width of it ?

And...
    However, back to the Olympics....

The Irish are bound to win one Gold medal, as no one else has entered the competition for catching the javelin.......

And (adopting a serious tone)...
    If the Irish are intelligent, why, when they think thay are on a bus to work in their own country, do they find themselves on a ferry to find work in another country?

And one that docks in England?

And now we are not allowed to take the Mick?

(I wonder where that phrase comes from)?

Racists love a racist joke shocker! :D

And btw, in what county do people pronounce Irish "Oirish"? Doesn't that derive from the thick Paddy stereotype in the first place? I mean, the D4 accent wasn't invented when that started surely.....

• Moderators, Arts Moderators Posts: 35,554 Mod ✭✭✭✭pickarooney

Ms.M wrote: »
    And btw, in what county do people pronounce Irish "Oirish"?

Cornwall?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,324 ✭✭✭JustAThought

8?

Are you mixing up your Dalys with your Daleys?[/Quote]

Perhaps!!! :0
    But my intentions are good !!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,528 ✭✭✭foxyboxer

Not racist. Quipping about an outdated stereotype on national TV isn't a great idea especially when the cash cow of a home Olympics is coming up.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 38,247 ✭✭✭✭Guy:Incognito

steddyeddy wrote: »
    Theres no such thing as a race technically anyway.

You might want to let the organisers of the Olympics know that.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 8,166 ✭✭✭Beefy78

As a kid growing up in England we always heard 'Englishman, Irishman and Scotsman' jokes with the stupid Irish as the punchline so I can't deny that but that wasn't what Thompson was doing and I'm not sure how anyone can get offended by this unless they want to be offended.

It's political correctness gone mad :)

• Advertisement
This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement