Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Export scam question

Options
  • 23-07-2012 3:46pm
    Registered Users Posts: 758 ✭✭✭

I've had, what for me is an unusual request and I'm just wondering if there's some scam here I can't see. I have a potential customer who wants to buy an item from me and then export it to an eastern European country. They have said they will pay a deposit with the rest payable on delivery to their premises here in Ireland, all fair enough but they want my business details first, business name, vat number and registered business address because it's being exported. All of this could be very normal but with no experience of exporting I just don't know. Of course my accountant is away for the afternoon and I can't ask him, so can any one help here. Thanks.

Comments

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 5,737 ✭✭✭MidlandsM

....but technically you're not able to do it VAT free as your delivering it to their premises here.

• Registered Users Posts: 758 ✭✭✭gears

Exactly and I'm not so I don't get it. Is there anything they could do with those details?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,091 ✭✭✭Peterdalkey

Sounds all rather rushed! if they dont care about the price then you can be sure it is a scam. Check out the Irish copmpany, is it creditworthy and a genuine business? Is it they you will be selling to or is it just a delivery address.
    The VAT is an issue but you could offer to refund it once they provide you with the usual documented proof of export.
    You need to be sure of payment when delivery is made, I wouild suggest cleared funds before release of goods, quite normal business practice.

Better to be careful now rather than sorry later!

Cheers

Peter

gears wrote: »
    Exactly and I'm not so I don't get it. Is there anything they could do with those details?

No, there is nothing in your list that would not apppear on a regular pro-forma invoice!

• Registered Users Posts: 758 ✭✭✭gears

They were also asking for bank details to transfer payment so I suggested a card payment instead. I'm sure they're a whole can of possible worms there.

• Advertisement

gears wrote: »
    They were also asking for bank details to transfer payment so I suggested a card payment instead. I'm sure they're a whole can of possible worms there.

Again bank payment details are quite normal and do not expose you.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,094 ✭✭✭dbran

Hi

I had a client who regularly used to get very basic spurious enquiries from potential overseas customers who just wanted the business details of the company and a company brochure about the products that the company sold at the time. Nothing was heard from them again. Sure enough, within a few weeks they got a phone call from emigration that a person was supposedly entering the country on business and had given their name as a contact of the person that they were there to meet. Of course no such meeting had ever been arranged.

Not saying that this is what is happening at all but if you are suspicious then you are right to do more due diligence on the matter.

Regards

dbran

• Registered Users Posts: 350 ✭✭stapolinhosting

Do you mind me asking how much of an order it is?

The reason I ask is if its a big enough order, it might be worth making the delivery yourself and collecting the 'payment on delivery' as they have requested in their initial request. Or send it COD by courier, that way they will have to pay before they get it.... of course, that is if there is even anyone there to accept it and the address is legit.

I have had many people contact me with all sort of 'requests' over the years and most have turned out to be scams.. I played along with some just to waste their time really... one for example was when I was asked to have payments from Irish buyers sent to me so I could lodge them into my bank account and transfer 70% of the payment to the so called company and keep 30% as commission. The first cheque arrived in the post about 2 weeks later.. but the postmark and stamp were from Nigeria! Wow, didnt know Irish buyers had to go to Nigeria to post their payment lol..

Anyway, if it is a legit buyer, maybe it could be worth selling to them under caution (ie by making the delivery yourself).
    If they send you a money order as the deposit, it would be worth taking it to the bank and having it verified before sending out the order.

The way many scams work is they use counterfeit moneyorders as payment, and these can be lodged into the bank. The money is funded into your account. But what happens later can be a shock to people because you will check your bank balance one day and you will find you are overdrawn or missing the exact amount of the bankdraft/moneyorder you deposited a few weeks before.

The reason for that happening is it takes time for the moneyorder to be processed in the cheque clearing house, anything from a few days to a few weeks for international moneyorders. So by the time the moneyorder has been processed you have already sent the goods, so you are left with no goods and a debt with the bank.

SO whatever you decide, make sure the deposit is cleared with the bank before sending out any goods.

Hope that helps a bit with your situation.

All the best.

Advertisement