Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Advice on Neutering.

• 23-07-2012 3:54pm
    Registered Users Posts: 162 ✭✭

Hi all,
    Well, Hershey is getting neutered today and I was just looking for some advice for what to do afterwards. He is crate trained so will keep him in there so he can't do any damage to himself. In terms of walking, how long should we walk him for or should we walk him at all for the first few days? If not, when will it be ok to start walking him again.
    We also have a bit of a puppy group going on in the area where a few of us meet up and let the dogs play. When will it be ok to let him back to play with the others.
    Any advice is appreciated! It's all new to us as he is our first dog! Thanks guys! :D

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,003 ✭✭✭SillyMangoX

!ell your vet will go through all this with you when Hershey is being discharged, but in general, stitches out in 10 days, during this time keep on the cone of shame! (they like to bash them off your legs :P) No running or jumping up on things, I'd say no walks until stitches are out but after maybe a week you could go for short walks but no off lead time. Oh and definitely for the first few days don't let him out loose, as in bring him to the loo on the lead. He'll be down in the dumps and groggy tonight, keep him some place warm but not stuffy (crate would be good for this!) And if the vet gives you tablets for him make sure he takes thm all, he'll most likely have been injected with a long acting painkiller and antibiotic so don't worry about him being in agony, but he will be a little sensitive so just be careful around him. :)

Edit: I wouldn't let him out with the other puppies till the stitches are out, all it takes it one little nip and thats his stitches gone!

• Registered Users Posts: 162 ✭✭Seb_bixby

Thanks SillyMangox, ya got an aftercare sheet for him. Funnily enough not groggy at all, bouncing around and first thing he did when he got in was go to his food bowl for dinner! Tis hard trying to stopped him jumping up on the things! Whining alot but is to be expected! He has the dissolve-able stitches so doesn't need to go back to get them out which is good. Unfortunately, one of his testicles was caught in his abdomen so they had to go in to take it out, he also had two teeth out!
    Cone of shame was funny watching him bang into things until he banged into the table and knocked a glass off and it smashed everywhere. Cue panic getting him out of the disaster zone so he wouldn't cut his feet on the glass!! While trying not to cut my own feet as I had no shoes on!! lol Ah the joys of dog ownership! :D All this in the space of about 20 mins! He's in the crate now with his hot water bottle and a chew toy!

Haha yeah they are always entertaining after surgery, especially when you are actually in the vets and you bring the dog out to the owner and its wobbling everywhere, I cant help but laugh :D When my cats came home after being neutered we let them out and put their bed by the fire expecting them to be cold and groggy... the 2 of them climbed to the top of the christmas tree and batted off all the decorations :rolleyes: actually a somewhat similar situation to you, they broke a glass ornament and then we had t run around in a panic :P

Lol. I would have loved to see that! I think that it's payback. He knew I spent the day cleaning the floors and decided it wouldn't do! lol :D I bet there are hundreds of stories like that out there! Would love to hear them! :D

Well everything was going well with Hershey's recovery until this morning! I have to go out for a while, it was about two hours and when I came back Hershey had the cone off and the stitches out!! :eek::eek::eek::eek:
    Had to go back to the vet. Thank god they are happy enough that the wound is clean and are going to let it heal by itself. He got more antibiotics and means that the cone of shame will have to be on for another week. Also, that I can now not leave him by himself or it will be off again!
    I would love to be a fly on the wall to see how he actually managed to get the thing off! :rolleyes:

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 32,634 ✭✭✭✭Graces7

Seb_bixby wrote: »
    Lol. I would have loved to see that! I think that it's payback. He knew I spent the day cleaning the floors and decided it wouldn't do! lol :D I bet there are hundreds of stories like that out there! Would love to hear them! :D

The day we got one of our male cats neutered, a youngster we rescued when he was dumped, and who was plaguing the life out of our three elderly cats, he went straight out and caught a bird,..... and ate it in front of the others.

Maybe it's the after effects of the drugs? It was so out of character..

Seb_bixby wrote: »
    Well everything was going well with Hershey's recovery until this morning! I have to go out for a while, it was about two hours and when I came back Hershey had the cone off and the stitches out!! :eek::eek::eek::eek:
    Had to go back to the vet. Thank god they are happy enough that the wound is clean and are going to let it heal by itself. He got more antibiotics and means that the cone of shame will have to be on for another week. Also, that I can now not leave him by himself or it will be off again!
    I would love to be a fly on the wall to see how he actually managed to get the thing off! :rolleyes:

Oh Hershey!! I hope everything is okay now though, did he get the stitched from his back end or stomach? (Sorry if im assuming, just with him being cryptorchid I presume they operated on his stomach!)

He has two sites. It's the one on his tummy that he pulled the stitches out of! He seems to be happy out anyway. He's twisting himself into all kinda shapes to get at it and lick it and managing to do it! Lol I'm keeping a close eye on it anyway. Please god now that will be the end of it. The hardest part is keeping him entertained. He's going a bit stir crazy!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,324 ✭✭✭JustAThought

Just reading this now : I hope poor H is doing well & not totally doing a Houdini on you !

About half an hour from
    swords in Rathoath there's a vet called Paul Kelly who is one of the few vets in Ireland who does keyhole surgery for neutering cats & dogs; much less invasive procedure; faster recover time, less need for crating & a much shorter recovery time. Might be of interest to others considering these issues.

Have you tried the ole jumper /treat toy? Get an old tip or sweatshirt & cut it into long strips. Loosely tie small bits of treats into loose knots in the strips & then loosely knot the knotted strips together into a big lump/ ball. Should amuse for ages trying to gnaw the treats out : ) if you dont tie them up supertight you will be able to reuse them & save your old wardrobe for painting & DIY!!

Thanks for the comments guys, Hershey is doing fine. Bit crazy:rolleyes: but fine. Just getting back to ye now as he chewed through my laptop charger! :eek: Thanks god I always plug it out when not in use.

Will defo be trying that treat ball, justathought, Sounds like he would love it. :D Have to say seeing how hyper and destructive Hershey is without his exercise is amazing. He is like a totally different dog. Really highlights the importance of keeping them exercised both mentally and physically. Just a shame that so many people don't realise this and think that its just the dogs way and give up on them. :(:(:(

• Advertisement
Advertisement