Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Spyware? Internet using 1mb per second with nothing open

• 23-07-2012 4:41pm
    Closed Accounts Posts: 643 ✭✭✭

So for quite a few months now my internet usage has been crazy. So I banned myself from downloading anything larger than a certain size, banned watching TV, banned youtube etc. It was still crazy.

Two weeks ago I noticed on a program that I got to monitor daily usage that 1MB was being used per second. Blink, blink, blink. Closed everything - no web browsers open, no programs, no updates happening. So what was it?

I rang the internet company and they said possibly spyware. I scan the computer weekly, nothing. Scanned with different antimalware (one installed at a time). Nothing.

Created a new partition, installed Windows 7, usage back to normal. 300mb in one day I was so happy. On the original partition it was 1GB in a few hours.

Any ideas?

Comments

• Site Banned Posts: 1,167 ✭✭✭ASJ112

follow the steps in the sticky thread

• Closed Accounts Posts: 643 ✭✭✭NewsMeQuick

I mean to say, I'm interested in any comments, ideas, not looking for solutions. I'll nuke that partition soon, but I'll scan it with more looking for clues I guess.

• Site Banned Posts: 1,167 ✭✭✭ASJ112

It would just be speculation without having you run DDS or OTL from the sticky/other threads here.

If it was spyware you would have other very visible problems, so doubt its that. Usually security programs are responsible.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 643 ✭✭✭NewsMeQuick

Well, I have scanned the whole hard disk and found nothing but tracking cookies. I used all of the recommended programs mentioned in the sticky and my own favs. One day, in about 6 hours, about 900mb was used. I used only web browsers and no video. I still can't figure out what it could be. As long as it doesn't happen again I'll be happy! :)

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 223 ✭✭Verres

If you're using Win7 the built in "Resource Monitor" will show you what is using your network connections - how much, what type of connection, source and destination IPs etc.

• Advertisement
Advertisement