Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Can't decide whether to take new job or not

Options
  • 23-07-2012 4:48pm
    Registered Users Posts: 3,615 ✭✭✭

Hi,

I'm currently working in a bar in Dublin city centre. I've been there 3 years and was unhappy with what I was being paid so I asked the manager for a pay rise, with a view to looking elsewhere if I was turned down (I kept my intentions to myself obviously). He was to say it to the owner and get back to me.

A few weeks went by without an answer and I've been offered a job in a newly opened bar. I'll be hired on better money and have been promised a further raise within a month if everything works out. I accepted the job offer and handed in 2 weeks notice in my current job.

Since handing in my notice my current employer has now offered me a pay rise to make me stay, matching what I'll earn starting in the new job, except a further raise would be unlikely (in my opinion). This happened because the assistant manager (who i get along very well with) found out I had given notice and said it to the owner himself.

Thats the financial aspect, now the other side of it is;

I'm currently doing an engineering masters degree and am due to finish in January. So I won't be working in bars from then onwards (hopefully).

Both jobs are offering me choice of roster so I can choose how many hours I have each week and whatever shifts I want which is handy while I'm studying.

I've been in my current job for 3 years. When I apply for engineering jobs this year I assume staying put would look better on my CV than moving for the last 6 months.

I get along very well with all my coworkers and would consider all of them good friends. I know a few of the staff in the new job and they all seem nice and happy that I'm going to work with them.

I get along well with my current manager, and hes been very accommodating with any request I've made. I knew the manager in the new job already, and would get along fine with him.

The new bar is a lot cooler and seems to be doing well, whereas this current bar is always busy and will definitely stay open through the recession. The other side of that coin is that my current job would probably be harder work.

If I decided to stay I'd feel like an ass having to call the new job and explain to them I won't be working there. If I decided to go I'd feel like I'd be letting my assistant manager down more than anyone else, because I can see hes trying his hardest to get me to stay. Then again I don't want it to look like I threatened to leave in order to get better wages, which isn't the case.

I know the unemployment rate is 15% so this is a good problem to have, I just don't want to end up regretting whatever decision I make.

Comments

• Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators Posts: 18,160 Mod ✭✭✭✭CatFromHue

Do you have any engineering experience? I think that would be more relevant than if you changed job in the bar industry.

You may not even be asked anything or very little at all about your bar job when it comes to an engineering interview (other than "tell me about how you would deal with a difficult co worker" type questions).

I'm trying to think back but I don't remember being asked much about my previous non engineering work when I first started looking for engineering work.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,350 ✭✭✭doolox

...whether you work in one bar or two will be of very little relevance when doing interviews for engineering jobs once you get your masters.

You state that you are on good terms with all who have known you in your work so far and that is what is important.

In fact moving to the new bar will show flexibility and willingness to change, important traits in engineering work.

By getting a favourable job offer and raise in wages shows initiative, confidence and ability to clearly communicate expectations, also important traits in an engineer.

In your future work you will have to solve complex problems in a fast moving competitive and logical way and also learn to look after yourself financially, emotionally and socially. I fear you are trying to be a people pleaser, a compulsive giver and these type of people can fail in a high level engineering role.

Many employers will try to make you shave off some requirement in a project for short term gain, you need to be tough enough and independent enough to do the right thing at all times even if it annoys some people in authority.

I'd say that interviews will concentrate mostly on people skills and general problem solving skills you may have picked up in your bar work, they will then have to look to your academic performance and likes/dislikes to sort out your engineering talents. Also important will be your reasons for wanting to be an engineer. Try now and think up and write out some good answers.

Advertisement